E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > UK

UK
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Find other members from your area in the E46Fanatics Garage HERE

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
orbilator

My Ride: 318i M-sport auto
Unhappy Vibration from blower when high speed setting

I have a 318i m-sport auto. When I use my air on it makes a lot of vibrations.
Initially I thought it was debri in the fan blades so I removed the pollen filter and sure enough a few leave had found the their way in there. I have removed them all, and now the vibration is less but still noisy vibration, fan seems to turn smoothly enough and none of the blades look damaged.
I think I could change the fan myself no probe but do you think the fan is defo broke and would I be able to just replace the blades or is it a whole unit. Maybe there is another reason for the vibrations ? Any help appreciated.
orbilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Shaun1970

My Ride: 318i SE 2000
Send a message via MSN to Shaun1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbilator View Post
I have a 318i m-sport auto. When I use my air on it makes a lot of vibrations.
Initially I thought it was debri in the fan blades so I removed the pollen filter and sure enough a few leave had found the their way in there. I have removed them all, and now the vibration is less but still noisy vibration, fan seems to turn smoothly enough and none of the blades look damaged.
I think I could change the fan myself no probe but do you think the fan is defo broke and would I be able to just replace the blades or is it a whole unit. Maybe there is another reason for the vibrations ? Any help appreciated.
Fan easy enough to replace and will be the whole unit mate sadly, but when under the bonnet does the rumble sound like its coming from the fan? or compressor area? Or is it when in car cab?
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
orbilator

Well I can here it under bonnet, but its louder In the cab. If i put a knee on the glove box it reduces the noise of the vibration. So pretty sure its fan
Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Shaun1970

Quote:
Well I can here it under bonnet, but its louder In the cab. If i put a knee on the glove box it reduces the noise of the vibration. So pretty sure its fan
I think i was getting confused your on about the blower fan in car and not the main car fan? May be worth change then, not sure how easy it is but the resistor is apparently a pig if that needs doing too.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
orbilator

No worries I changed the rad fan a while back as that was shaking my car to bits when it cut in. got an old e46 fan (BMW wanted 356 pounds for genuine) and just swapped blade and motor very quiet now lol.
Then the air con fan started aaarggh worst Beemer I ever bought so far
My 528 325 both purred like kittys this 318 don't sound as nice not sure if it looks better either lol, still love it though , BMW in my blood now
Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Shaun1970

Quote:
No worries I changed the rad fan a while back as that was shaking my car to bits when it cut in. got an old e46 fan (BMW wanted 356 pounds for genuine) and just swapped blade and motor very quiet now lol.
Then the air con fan started aaarggh worst Beemer I ever bought so far
My 528 325 both purred like kittys this 318 don't sound as nice not sure if it looks better either lol, still love it though , BMW in my blood now
Why did you drop from 5 series to a 318? Economical reasons i presume. Anyway i dont think blower hard to replace and not too much 's either. Post pics in "318" Thread mate
Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
orbilator

The 5 was a R reg and the 325 was a T reg. Just got the 2007 318 for 4k so I. Grabbed it is all.