E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #81
Torok.Designs

My Ride: E46 Sedan

monarch by lowcaligrown, on Flickr

monarch 2 by lowcaligrown, on Flickr

monarch iphone by lowcaligrown, on Flickr
Old 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #82
Torok.Designs

natural exotic lightbulb by lowcaligrown, on Flickr

creeping tree by lowcaligrown, on Flickr
Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #83
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
Ok, you are recognizing photo opportunities, choosing a subject, focusing and releasing the shutter.

Now, show the world something they haven't seen before.... Stretch yourself, take an angle or an exposure that is outside your comfort zone. Try to present these normal subjects in an abnormal manner. Take a photo from an angle we don't normally see in real everyday life. Dreadfully over expose or under expose something... Go ahead FAIL...

Fail 1000 times to catch that 1 image that captures everyone's attention so much that they can't look away.

Have fun, express yourself... You are ready... You clearly know how to take a photo, now use the lens to create something new... Even if its weird!

I can't tell you what to do, only guide you to it.

It's the difference between a cook that follows receipts, and a chef who creates new and creative dishes... They fail a lot too at first!

That last photo you posted with the tree on the wall... Go up to something like that, put your lens up to the trunk, point it straight up the line of the trunk and shoot straight up, through the leaves, lay on your back if you have to.... over expose, under expose, take a bunch of weird angles. Play with some B/w process...etc.

Go crazy! Have fun...

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #84
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Ok, you are recognizing photo opportunities, choosing a subject, focusing and releasing the shutter.

Now, show the world something they haven't seen before.... Stretch yourself, take an angle or an exposure that is outside your comfort zone. Try to present these normal subjects in an abnormal manner. Take a photo from an angle we don't normally see in real everyday life. Dreadfully over expose or under expose something... Go ahead FAIL...

Fail 1000 times to catch that 1 image that captures everyone's attention so much that they can't look away.

Have fun, express yourself... You are ready... You clearly know how to take a photo, now use the lens to create something new... Even if its weird!

I can't tell you what to do, only guide you to it.

It's the difference between a cook that follows receipts, and a chef who creates new and creative dishes... They fail a lot too at first!

That last photo you posted with the tree on the wall... Go up to something like that, put your lens up to the trunk, point it straight up the line of the trunk and shoot straight up, through the leaves, lay on your back if you have to.... over expose, under expose, take a bunch of weird angles. Play with some B/w process...etc.

Go crazy! Have fun...
I know what you mean. I'm still trying to get comfortable with this camera and photography in general though. I have a bunch of photos I have already taken that i'll keep posting, and i'll try put your advice into action as well for future photos. It's hard though. I'll try!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #85
Bimmer4Lyfe

Everything hard is usually worth the pay off.

-j
Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #86
Torok.Designs

dark bug by lowcaligrown, on Flickr

neon purple by lowcaligrown, on Flickr
Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #87
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Everything hard is usually worth the pay off.
Very true.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #88
Bimmer4Lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcaligrown View Post

dark bug by lowcaligrown, on Flickr
r
Loving that!

-j
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #89
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Loving that!

Thank you! I wish I had a good macro lens now. Do you have any suggestions? From looking on the internet i'm kind of leaning towards the 40mm nikkor macro I think. I'm still not sure what all the different measurements for lenses mean though.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #90
Torok.Designs

exoskeleton by lowcaligrown, on Flickr

bee by lowcaligrown, on Flickr
Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #91
Bimmer4Lyfe

Quote:
Thank you! I wish I had a good macro lens now. Do you have any suggestions? From looking on the internet i'm kind of leaning towards the 40mm nikkor macro I think. I'm still not sure what all the different measurements for lenses mean though.
I have really no experience with today's cameras & lenses

I'm an old school film guy, when digital came around, I just went point & shoot

You'd be amazed what I can pull off with just that

I'm sure some of the photo gurus here can give advice on that.

-j
Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #92
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Man I really like "creeping tree" Your skills are growing, I'm looking forward to see more

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #93
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
The lenses are measured by their focal length and maximum aperture. So when you see something like 100/2.8 it means the lens has a focal length of 100mm and a maximum aperture of 2.8. And when I say maximum, it means the largest aperture, so it's actually the smallest aperture number. This is a result of how aperture is calculated, essentially a ratio of of the size of the front element in the lens compared with the size of the last element. So an aperture of 1.0 would mean all the light coming in the front exits out the back without any change in the diameter of the glass.

A serious macro was my first big lens purchase and I landed on the Sigma 150/2.8 and was very happy with it. A lot of times it's hard to get really close to your subject when shooting macro and that extra length can come in handy. I don't normally take even a minute to look at third party lenses but Sigma does have some heavy hitters, you just have to know which ones. Their 10-20mm lens is also supposed to be on par with Canon/Nikon.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 07-27-2013 at 09:37 AM.
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #94
Torok.Designs

Quote:
I have really no experience with today's cameras & lenses

I'm an old school film guy, when digital came around, I just went point & shoot

You'd be amazed what I can pull off with just that

I'm sure some of the photo gurus here can give advice on that.
I took a black and white film camera class a while ago and used an old pentax. It was pretty fun developing the film in a black room and such. Do you still shoot film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Man I really like "creeping tree" Your skills are growing, I'm looking forward to see more
Hey thanks a lot. I really appreciate the positive feedback as well as the criticisms because it helps me stay motivated to shoot more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
The lenses are measured by their focal length and maximum aperture. So when you see something like 100/2.8 it means the lens has a focal length of 100mm and a maximum aperture of 2.8. And when I say maximum, it means the largest aperture, so it's actually the smallest aperture number. This is a result of how aperture is calculated, essentially a ratio of of the size of the front element in the lens compared with the size of the last element. So an aperture of 1.0 would mean all the light coming in the front exits out the back without any change in the diameter of the glass.

A serious macro was my first big lens purchase and I landed on the Sigma 150/2.8 and was very happy with it. A lot of times it's hard to get really close to your subject when shooting macro and that extra length can come in handy. I don't normally take even a minute to look at third party lenses but Sigma does have some heavy hitters, you just have to know which ones. Their 10-20mm lens is also supposed to be on par with Canon/Nikon.
So you think a higher focal length might be better for macro? It lets you take as good of a close up picture as say a 30mm 2.8 macro? Thanks for the info. That first paragraph you wrote confused me a lot but i'll read it over a few more times to try to understand it.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #95
Torok.Designs

simple and perfect by lowcaligrown, on Flickr

yellow dots by lowcaligrown, on Flickr
Old 07-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #96
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:

So you think a higher focal length might be better for macro? It lets you take as good of a close up picture as say a 30mm 2.8 macro? Thanks for the info. That first paragraph you wrote confused me a lot but i'll read it over a few more times to try to understand it.
It will let you stay farther away to keep the subject the same relative size in the frame as a lower focal length. Zooming in from farther away is essentially the same as not zooming in and being closer, only you'll have more DOF because there is literally more depth between you and the subject.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #97
Bimmer4Lyfe

Quote:
I took a black and white film camera class a while ago and used an old pentax. It was pretty fun developing the film in a black room and such. Do you still shoot film?
Sold all my gear piece by piece on eBay a few years ago.

-j
Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #98
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
It will let you stay farther away to keep the subject the same relative size in the frame as a lower focal length. Zooming in from farther away is essentially the same as not zooming in and being closer, only you'll have more DOF because there is literally more depth between you and the subject.
There will be more depth of field with a higher mm lens? More depth of field means more bokeh? Ok, that makes sense.

So why would anyone ever get a smaller mm lens? I'm guessing mainly cost?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #99
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Sold all my gear piece by piece on eBay a few years ago.
Bummer, do you ever want to get back into it? My sister got me a lomography camera which uses film. I used two rolls of film so far but haven't had it developed yet. I wonder how they turned out.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #100
Torok.Designs

frozen lemonade by lowcaligrown, on Flickr

many falls 3 by lowcaligrown, on Flickr