E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
suaveJae

My Ride: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
again..does it have a odometer tamper light?

I can't tell you right now simply because I have it in a garage i live in manhattan i left it in the bronx because I don't have it ensured yet. My stepdad hooked me up to the spot. I'll check it as soon as i get back in her.
suaveJae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
suaveJae

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Advice: go talk to whoever sold it to you. Not checking this beforehand was foolish.
I'll try and talk to him.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #23
suaveJae

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
Check the doors jamb for any stickers to see if there is a record of past mileage.
Ill check it out once i go to the garage where i left it.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
suaveJae

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemerdude View Post
OP. Have you ever gone to court? Have you ever gone to a lawyer? That alone will bilk ya dry, not to mention the cost of stress, anxiety, & just plain grief. Not worth it. Just suck it up, drive the crp outta it. It's only 5 grand. It's not a Porsche or anything. It's a 4 door ppl-mover. I know it's your first car, but don't bleed your heart into it. Just don't soak unnec'y loot into it, maintain it as cheaply & as necessary as u can to keep it safely driving...then when u have enough loot....sell it & move on.

Lesson learned.
Never been to court and don't plan on it, Seeing the history on carfax, i can tell the guy who had just bought it was oblivious to the odometer reading. Simply because it was done when the second owner had it, he was the 4th. I think i might keep it get it ensured by my pops and maintain it as good as i can. i probably won't stress myself and mod it so i won't get to attached to her.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #25
suaveJae

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
Check your local state laws. In most places if the car is over 10 years old, odometer rollback isn't classified as fraud for a vehicle that old.

Given it was purchased on Aug 13th 2003 you have about 3 weeks to see if you can take any action.

What I don't understand is why you did the Carfax AFTER you bought the car? Whats the point really?

Plus since you paid $5K for it, you paid roughtly what an 200K miles E46 is worth. If you paid $10-15 for a 63K mile E46 then its a whole different story.
I probably won't do anything to try and bring this under "justice" because i believe the guy was oblivious to the odometer readings since it was done back to the 2nd owner. I had to purchase the carfax for 35$ I did so because my gut feeling told me this deal was too good to be true. I then had the VIN number after buying it something I didn't have before i met with the guy. But i guess it's not too bad of a buy, ok the miles are really high but other than that car looks near brand new ! i will take pictures of it later for you to see what im talking about.

Thanks everyone for your 2cents on the topic, I might keep it just because it looks and feels good for now. I won't mod it but rather spend that money on maintenance, i heard this car can go 300k miles if it's well treated.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Assuming the person that sold to you was "oblivious" is the wrong attitude.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
suaveJae

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Assuming the person that sold to you was "oblivious" is the wrong attitude.
What should i tell him ?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #28
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Ask for refund and squatter on the front lawn until demands are met.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Man, this is a crazy one!!!

Carfax can be a mess at times. I had a friend that had a low mileage convertible Porsche 911 that was a garage queen. He drove the car an average of 3500 miles a year the 8 years he owned the car. Carfax flagged it as a possible mileage tampering because it did not meet some threshold for annual mileage someone wrote for the Carfax software!!!

In the OP case, something is up here.

Looks like the car may have been dealer maintained for most of its life?? May have also had a lot of highway driving to get the higher mileage, so it may have looked in very good condition as well??

Just hope you have the original car with altered mileage and not some mess of a stolen car with swapped VIN's and washed titles??

Suggest you verify the VIN under the hood on the strut tower and behind the rear license plate along with any other VIN's on doors and other body parts.

It would also be interesting to see what BMW Scanner could pick up within the modules on the car.

Just realize that although you may have picked the car up for a reasonable deal, it may come back to bite you if you try to sell the car or insurance ends up buying the car from you??

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
suaveJae

might just stick with her for a year,
Old 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #31
HLG600

My Ride: German
Not worth the time and energy to fight it in court. This is a $5K car we are talking about, especially if it's in decent shape/runs well. Honestly, drive it. No matter how careful you are, your first car will always be a learning experience in some way.

Do post a picture of the odometer though. Curious about the dot as well.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
Hollywood516

My Ride: 02 330i
Looks like suave got suaved.... I would check for tamper dot, bring the car back to said "craigslist guy" and go get yourself s proper E46
Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #33
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Re: bought a POTENTIAL ODOMETER ROLLBACK 325i need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemerdude View Post
sooo....let me get this straight. You can't tell a 67k car from a 197,000 mile car?

It depends how and where the car was driven.
I bet if you see my car in person you cant guess the correct mileage.
So that being said you can't Judge the mileage by looks.

Sent from my Galaxy s4.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #34
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
again..does it have a odometer tamper light?

Lack of a tamper dot doesn't mean much. Anyone who knows what they're doing can set the mileage to anything they want without making the tamper dot appear.

One module that should have the mileage before reset is the EWS module. Check how many miles it reports with PASoft. If it's equal to the cluster mileage (within 100km or so), you're probably okay. If it's 300k+ (it'll be in km), then it's been rolled back.

It is possible that the EWS was cleared or replaced, but that's not common as far as I'm aware.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #35
suaveJae

NO tamper light !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0964[1].jpg
Views:	98
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	518280  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
suaveJae

i love this forum fairly new and you get so much help from one another, no tamper light and it drives great ! got it ensured, my question has been resolved thank you guys
Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveJae View Post
i love this forum fairly new and you get so much help from one another, no tamper light and it drives great ! got it ensured, my question has been resolved thank you guys
Doubtful. The history was very consistent for the first owner. The tamper dot is not fool proof.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #38
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Post the VIN and someone can help verify.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #39
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveJae View Post
NO tamper light !!
As I said in the post right above yours, that is very easy to do. Doesn't prove anything. Give me an hour with your car and I can get it to read 0 miles with no tamper dot. The tamper dot is only illuminated if the VIN doesn't match between the instrument cluster and LSZ.

Check the EWS with BMWScanner. Actually check the VIN on the cluster first; the PO might've simply bought a matching LSZ and cluster. I think it's test function 1 to check VIN

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-24-2013 at 04:06 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #40
FlashBMW

My Ride: 2009 328 Xdrive
check it with a bmw scanner I would use it and see if you have any other hidden issues