E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
INsXTC

My Ride: 94 NSX,01 330ci,06xb
in for a chrome cast. My original nexus 7 touch inst responsive anymore, I am scared on purchasing a new one.

Last edited by INsXTC; 07-25-2013 at 11:08 AM.
INsXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Re: New Nexus 7 and Chromecast

The more I read and hear about this chromecast the more impressive it sounds. It's a step up from current screen mirroring and streaming solutions like Airplay, DLNA, and miracast. Content doesn't actually have to stream to your phone/tablet, then from there to the TV. It just goes straight from the internet to the chromecast, saving you battery power. Then you can also continue to use the phone/tablet for other things while the video or audio continues to play on the TV. It's more like an upgraded remote control solution.

And being able to send chrome tabs means that theoretically anything should work. Spotify Web app, Pandora, hulu, vimeo, anything. On any platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsXTC View Post
in for a chrome cast. My original nexus 7 touch inst responsive anymore, I am scared on purchasing a new one.
The original got handicapped be the tegra 3. Switching to Qualcomm should be a big improvement. Plus they also doubled the RAM. I wouldn't worry.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry330i View Post
Any streaming service that runs in the browser (some are limited to Desktops) should be considered available, too. So on Windows, if you can run Hulu or HBO Go through Chrome, you can see them in the browser. Technically.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #25
jeffro3000

And price: $100 vs $11 (including $24 of free netflix). Didn't see any of that on the chart.

Plus, the chromecast has the best hardware remote: your phone or tablet.

This "casting" is a unique concept. The API kind of leaves room for many expansions into other hardware. It basically just establishes a control path from sender to receiver to transmit commands. What the sender and receiver are is up to developers. You could use this to control more than just a TV. I'm looking forward to seeing where this could go with more partnerships.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 07-25-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #26
rdo1990

Has anyone looked at Android Mini PC Sticks? I'm considering the Chromecast vs a Quad Core Android Mini PC stick. The mini pc sticks turn your TV into a full fledged android device as opposed to the Chromecast which runs dependent on another device. I could potentially root the mini pc and basically turn it into a chromecast if I really needed it but it is a bit more expensive. Thoughts?

Specs for the latest:
Google Android 4.2 OS
Cortex A9 Rk3188 Quad Core CPU
Quad Core Mali 400 GPU
Dual Heatsink, Dual Wifi Antenna
GB DDR3 RAM,8GB NAND FLASH ROM
Bluetooth v4.0,wifi support 802.11 b/g/n
rdo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #27
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdo1990 View Post
Has anyone looked at Android Mini PC Sticks? I'm considering the Chromecast vs a Quad Core Android Mini PC stick. The mini pc sticks turn your TV into a full fledged android device as opposed to the Chromecast which runs dependent on another device. I could potentially root the mini pc and basically turn it into a chromecast if I really needed it but it is a bit more expensive. Thoughts?

Specs for the latest:
Google Android 4.2 OS
Cortex A9 Rk3188 Quad Core CPU
Quad Core Mali 400 GPU
Dual Heatsink, Dual Wifi Antenna
GB DDR3 RAM,8GB NAND FLASH ROM
Bluetooth v4.0,wifi support 802.11 b/g/n
They're nice. My friend has one and uses it regularly. Due to proliferation of manufacturers they're all a bit different. Their size makes some compromises sometimes. WiFi, heat dissipation, etc aren't all that great on some. Others are great. Depending on what you want to do, either one could work out great for you.

I have a HTPC, so I don't think I really need the Chromecast, but if I didn't have the HTPC, I'd get it for sure. It's officially supported by Google and the community is sure to make it even more useful.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #28
jeffro3000

Idk, I had one of those android hdmi sticks once and wasn't all that impressed. Mine was a cheapo model though, but the overall concept just wasn't what I was looking for. You'll need a bluetooth mouse and keyboard or something to control it with (or whatever janky remote it may come with). And honestly, I think the only advantage would be that you could play games on it.

For rooting and stuff, I don't think the development community for these things is near the same level as it is for phones. If you want it, I'd still get the chromecast anyways, it's so cheap lol. It's the way to go over a mini pc stick IMO.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #29
'busa

Wow. Google/Netflix are idiots:
"Please note that the Netflix promotional offer (which was available in limited supply) has now ended. Customers who ordered their Chromecast prior to 5:31 PM PST on July 24, 2013 will receive a Netflix gift code via email within 5 days of their product's ship date."
Old 07-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #30
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
"Please note that the Netflix promotional offer (which was available in limited supply) has now ended. Customers who ordered their Chromecast prior to 5:31 PM PST on July 24, 2013 will receive a Netflix gift code via email within 5 days of their product's ship date."

They still have yet to get this whole "retail" thing down yet. It's like every time they go to sell something, they forget to account for the fact that people might actually buy it.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #31
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Chromecast looks pretty lacking :/

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post

They still have yet to get this whole "retail" thing down yet. It's like every time they go to sell something, they forget to account for the fact that people might actually buy it.
They're like awkward teenagers and the buying public is a pretty girl. "Oh, you do want to buy the Chromecast? Really?! OK! That's cool. I just thought, you know... the Q and stuff. OK, OK. But we didn't expect this much interest. Our inventory ran out too soon. Sorry. We'll be better next time. Promise."
Old 07-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #33
jeffro3000

Got the N7 on the doorstep from Amazon this morning (lots of places are selling it early). I'm very impressed with it. The upgrade to a Qualcomm S4 and 2GB RAM made a big difference, this thing flies. Have yet to see any performance issues.

And the screen... DAMN. Combined with how good Google's apps are looking these days, everything is visually top notch. I like the all black design better than the silver rim on the last one, and the whole thing is noticeably smaller and lighter. For $229 this thing is a steal.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #34
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
i want a new n7

where can i sell my old n7 for good coin?

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #35
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
And price: $100 vs $11 (including $24 of free netflix). Didn't see any of that on the chart.

Plus, the chromecast has the best hardware remote: your phone or tablet.

This "casting" is a unique concept. The API kind of leaves room for many expansions into other hardware. It basically just establishes a control path from sender to receiver to transmit commands. What the sender and receiver are is up to developers. You could use this to control more than just a TV. I'm looking forward to seeing where this could go with more partnerships.

When I went to chrome cast official website it says it is $35, where did you see it for $11?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
slo323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #36
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo323ci View Post
When I went to chrome cast official website it says it is $35, where did you see it for $11?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
$11 (including $24 of free netflix).
I think he means because of the Netflix credit
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #37
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
New Nexus 7 and Chromecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Wtf....that's horrible....not enough facepalms available for that flub.

mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #38
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
$11 (including $24 of free netflix).
I think he means because of the Netflix credit
Which is not available anymore.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #39
nikkeiS2K

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via ICQ to nikkeiS2K Send a message via AIM to nikkeiS2K Send a message via MSN to nikkeiS2K Send a message via Yahoo to nikkeiS2K
Just curious what do you N7 owners mainly use your tablet for?
nikkeiS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #40
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
Just curious what do you N7 owners mainly use your tablet for?
Sadly as a speedometer right now for my E30
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote