E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
my323coupe

My Ride: 323ci
Rear Subframe front mounting????

Hi! Can someone tell me where i can go to my rear subframe front mounting points from the inside of the car???

To the rear mounting points i have access from the trunk... but whst is with the front mounting points.

My subframe mounting point on the driver side cracked last year... i had repair it...

I put a tool steel plate to the trunk weld it in tbe floor.. then i put the original threadment on the tool steel plate and weld it together... after this a second tool steel plate welded to the trunk and to the threadment.

Then i close with the original floor the trunk.

On both sides!

Now i got my rear subframe disconnected from the car and i am in holiday.... i want to rainforce
The front ounting points with the same process!

The Iron plates are out of special tool steel with a thickness of 4mm and Dimension of 10x15 cm

The torque on the mounting points is now on a bigger area distrubted!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1374691065417.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	518300   Click image for larger version

Name:	1374691086988.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	518301   Click image for larger version

Name:	1374691110222.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	518302  
my323coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
my323coupe

AW: Rear Subframe front mounting????

The underbody is point welded on his crack it was a 2-3cm crack from right to left over 2 point welds!

I was controlling the subframe mountings every month... after the repair... i dont control the mountings.. snd all is ok no cracks no klick klack sound like a broken mounting point!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I think this thread might help you
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=998275
Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
CCE46M3

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I think this thread might help you
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=998275
Looking back the history online about the subframe cracking, it is not normal for the regular E46 3 series having cracks in the front mounts.

However, nothing wrong about reinforcing them.

You will have to remove the rear seats to expose the floor. Regular 3 series might look different than the M3 that I repaired. I don't know if ALL of the regular 3 series have the fold down rear seat or not.
CCE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
my323coupe

You mean the rainforcemant on the back mounting points with my method are realy enough?

Crack the passangerside only on m3 or normal e46?

Or is only the back mounting pointbon the driver side thevproblem on stock e46 series.. non m3

Old 07-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
CCE46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by my323coupe View Post
You mean the rainforcemant on the back mounting points with my method are realy enough?

Crack the passangerside only on m3 or normal e46?

Or is only the back mounting pointbon the driver side thevproblem on stock e46 series.. non m3

I don't know if they are "enough" or not. Looking at the pictures, all I can say is that I would not do a repair like that.

So far I can only find pictures and posts about M3 to have cracks around the front passenger mount, zero for regular E46 (or normal E46 if you like)

Both regular E46 3 series and the E46 M3 have problems at the rear driver mount BUT THEY FAIL DIFFERENTLY. The M3 should be repaired the way it should and the regular 3 series should be repaired the way it should.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
my323coupe

The rear left mounting point has a crack like look to the picture

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1374734796729.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	518403  
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
CCE46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by my323coupe View Post
The rear left mounting point has a crack like look to the picture

I think that's a crack. You can see it cracked around the spot weld. Did you do any repair on the bottom side when you repair the top last year? If this crack is new from last year, that means your repair method on top is not providing enough strength and the bottom spot welds are suffering from out-of-plane tension. Once there is crack around the spot weld, the crack will grow very fast because of the high stress concentration at the crack tip.

Reviewing your repair method on the top side, my suggestion is to take the car to a reputable shop that is familiar with the E46 subframe issue, have them repair the bottom AND the top for a proper fix.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
my323coupe

No!

The crack was befor i repair!
Now is the crack spot welded to the tool steel plate !
I drill some holes arround the crack and welded to the tool steel plate.
After this i spot weld the crack to close.

Its all okay no new cracks or issues!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
my323coupe

Ok... so my subframe is repaired... the ckicking sound is present.... i think it is one of the bushings on the subframe or arms... the differential bushings are changed and the 4 subframe bushings!
The 2 bushings are changed for the rear controlarms!

Now i can go for it... it was not the underbody what makes the noise it is a bushing what gone bad... anyone a idea...