E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
m1356guy

My Ride: is worth $5k
Quote:
Originally Posted by dji203 View Post
Safety items: closed face helmet, high temp brake fluid and make sure you have enough meat on pads, rotors and tires.

Do a proper tech inspection to make sure the car is in good shape, address anything found during inspection.

Spend the rest of money on seat time. Down the road as you progress, think about getting dedicated track pads and sticky tires.

Don't tinker with any 'mods' - get a feel for the car first, experience what it's like to drive that car the limit because on the streets you never have. Then address any deficiencies later after you've gotten some decent seat time.
Awesome. Bought the closed face helmet (Bell Infusion EV for $200 off). Going to bleed my brakes with ATE Super Blue tomorrow to prepare for next weekend. Also going to change my trans and diff fluid tomorrow. Replaced my fuel filter this morning.

I have the seat time already purchased for the remainder of the year (3 more events) I'm really excited! Not planning on spending anymore money aside from maintenance and tires if needed. Track pads and better tires are on the horizon for next year! Thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #22
Driver08

My Ride: '88 325is, '04 ZHP
Before too long turn off the DSC all the way, not just the single press of the button. Press the button once and then hold it down until the DSC light and the "brake" lights come on. Now you can controll the car better towards the limit without the electronic nannies interfering.
Driver08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I ran Continental DWs as my track tires for the last year or so, including one day at Thunderhill, two at Laguna one at Sonoma, and a few days at Buttonwillow. Good tire--not the stickiest street tire for dry, but supposed to be one of the best rain tires for HPDE/AutoX, though I never really drove them in the rain. If I had to do it all over again and still had dedicated track wheels, I would have gotten BFG Rivals, Hankook R-S3s (which I also had once before), Dunlop Star Specs, or Bridgestone RE-11a tires instead of the Conti DWs, but they should be great for your first several track days.

Having done coilovers (with 3 different spring rates), camber plates (3 kinds), poly FCABs, and recently R-comp tires (a mistake, but so far a fun one), I would agree with others that first mod be good maintenance, 2nd mode is better brake pads, and 3rd/4th mods should be sticky summer tires and stiffer front swaybar (possibly with matching rear swaybar). But don't upgrade the swaybar until you can repeatedly induce and identify understeer on the track or AutoX. (Edit: unless you are pretty sure you want to go coilovers or lowering springs, in which case do those before upgrading swaybar.)

In theory spacers will increase track width which should slightly reduce body roll, but in reality I don't think the 12mm spacers are worth it unless you need them to fit wider tires. For example when I ran 255mm tires up front I used a 5mm spacer and they would still rub inner wheel well slightly at full steering lock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1356guy View Post
Bilstein HD shocks are 40k old with powerflex FCABs and RTABs. Stock springs. What else should be done for my 323ci to prepare it better for HPDE's?? Currently I'm running Continental DW's. They held up well at my first event ever at Thunderhill on 9/28. But I'm signed up and registered for Sonoma on 11/9 and Laguna Seca on 11/29 & 12/21.

Would a 12mm spacer all around make much of a difference? How about sway bars? I wanna get a feel for my car better while it's still very stock, but I'm anxious to start preparing it better for some track days to come. Any advice would be awesome!

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 11-14-2013 at 09:27 PM.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Awesome. Bought the closed face helmet (Bell Infusion EV for $200 off). Going to bleed my brakes with ATE Super Blue tomorrow to prepare for next weekend. Also going to change my trans and diff fluid tomorrow. Replaced my fuel filter this morning.

I have the seat time already purchased for the remainder of the year (3 more events) I'm really excited! Not planning on spending anymore money aside from maintenance and tires if needed. Track pads and better tires are on the horizon for next year! Thanks

I'm on the Conti DWs, and I like them a lot for a street tire. But the Dunlop Direzza ZIIs and BFG Rivals are a really great step up as very streetable tires that can also be tracked. Really hard to go wrong with either. I've run a lot on the Hankook Ventus R-S3s, which tolerate the heat quite well but have somewhat softer sidewalls.

If you're going to a dedicated set of track tires/wheels, then Toyo R888s or RA1s, Nitto NT-01s or even full-tilt Hoosiers will give you grip out the wazoo.

But as others suggest, first wear your existing tires down to nubs and get as much seat time as possible! Have fun and be safe. Lots of great tracks in NorCal; my favorite is ThunderHill.

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
128K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #25
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
...Going to bleed my brakes with ATE Super Blue tomorrow to prepare for next weekend...
If you guys are driving to the track, the super blue is not street legal anymore. I know California is pretty strict when it comes to this sort of stuff.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Re: ZHP HPDE Car Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46techtuner View Post
If you guys are driving to the track, the super blue is not street legal anymore. I know California is pretty strict when it comes to this sort of stuff.
It never was. If you weren't worried about it 5 years ago there is no reason be concerned today just because they stopped selling it.

Besides, it is such an obscure law that took the feds about 15 years to realize super blue wasn't compliant.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #27
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
its not like someones going to pull you over and check your brake fluid to make sure its not blue hahaha

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
bimmernate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #28
m1356guy

My Ride: is worth $5k
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
I ran Continental DWs as my track tires for the last year or so, including one day at Thunderhill, two at Laguna one at Sonoma, and a few days at Buttonwillow. Good tire--not the stickiest street tire for dry, but supposed to be one of the best rain tires for HPDE/AutoX, though I never really drove them in the rain. If I had to do it all over again and still had dedicated track wheels, I would have gotten BFG Rivals, Hankook R-S3s (which I also had once before), Dunlop Star Specs, or Bridgestone RE-11a tires instead of the Conti DWs, but they should be great for your first several track days.

Having done coilovers (with 3 different spring rates), camber plates (3 kinds), poly FCABs, and recently R-comp tires (a mistake, but so far a fun one), I would agree with others that first mod be good maintenance, 2nd mode is better brake pads, and 3rd/4th mods should be sticky summer tires and stiffer front swaybar (possibly with matching rear swaybar). But don't upgrade the swaybar until you can repeatedly induce and identify understeer on the track or AutoX. (Edit: unless you are pretty sure you want to go coilovers or lowering springs, in which case do those before upgrading swaybar.)

In theory spacers will increase track width which should slightly reduce body roll, but in reality I don't think the 12mm spacers are worth it unless you need them to fit wider tires. For example when I ran 255mm tires up front I used a 5mm spacer and they would still rub inner wheel well slightly at full steering lock.
Awesome advice, thank you man! Not ready to pull the trigger on coilovers yet, so that may be the first mod next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee-em-dougle-u View Post
I'm on the Conti DWs, and I like them a lot for a street tire. But the Dunlop Direzza ZIIs and BFG Rivals are a really great step up as very streetable tires that can also be tracked. Really hard to go wrong with either. I've run a lot on the Hankook Ventus R-S3s, which tolerate the heat quite well but have somewhat softer sidewalls.

If you're going to a dedicated set of track tires/wheels, then Toyo R888s or RA1s, Nitto NT-01s or even full-tilt Hoosiers will give you grip out the wazoo.

But as others suggest, first wear your existing tires down to nubs and get as much seat time as possible! Have fun and be safe. Lots of great tracks in NorCal; my favorite is ThunderHill.
Star Specs will be my tire next year. Maybe R888s by the end of next season

I've only been to two (Sonoma and Thunderhill) but Thunderhill is my favorite of the two by far... Can't wait for Thunderhill West to open up!

Quote:
You're right, so I used ATE Gold. Same stuff right? just different color?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #29
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
Yeah, same stuff. Some guys like to alternate between the two, so they know when the lines are completely flushed.