E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
stolitonic

My Ride: E46 330cic
vert with bsw audio upgrades in san diego?

am thinking about upgrading my hk speakers with the bsw setup. is there anyone in san diego that has the bsw upgrades? i would trade lunch or beers for a listen to your setup.

went to a local shop for a quote on upgrading speakers, sub and amp - they gave me a price of $3.6k (ouch)...
stolitonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Way too much money for something that's somewhat plug and play. If you look on their site at the installation instructions, most of it (actually all of it) could be DIY, especially the fronts. So, at minimum, maybe DIY the fronts and just have them do the back/subs. (Even the backs aren't bad you just have to do a little more with moving interior stuff. The sub is another step with wiring, etc but doable... maybe just have an installer do that. I don't have a full setup but I'm going to do my fronts w/in the next month (I'm not in SD).

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Unfortunately, I'm in WI, so hearing my setup won't be an option. I've got the speaker and subwoofer upgrades and I'm happy with them. I DIY'd both, and I'd recommend you do the same. Speakers were easy to do. The subwoofer was more difficult and involved removing the entire back seat, but wasn't terrible.

As far as sound goes, the speakers are great. Huge upgrade on the HK ones. The subwoofer isn't fantastic. It definitely rounds out the sound (and sounds good), but it isn't a thumping, rumble in your chest kind of sub. Depending on what you're listening to, you'll be satisfied. I personally listen to just about anything from Justin Timberlake to classic rock to dubstep. The sub does great for anything that isn't bass-centric (like dubstep). Top down, windows down, speakers still do fine. The sound dissipates very quickly. The sub struggles a bit as well. But I can't see that changing with another set up. Just the nature of the vert.

If I had to do it again, I would. The sub isn't fantastic, but its super clean and doesn't take up any space.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
stolitonic

please post what you install in your fronts... i'll keep an eye out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
Way too much money for something that's somewhat plug and play. If you look on their site at the installation instructions, most of it (actually all of it) could be DIY, especially the fronts. So, at minimum, maybe DIY the fronts and just have them do the back/subs. (Even the backs aren't bad you just have to do a little more with moving interior stuff. The sub is another step with wiring, etc but doable... maybe just have an installer do that. I don't have a full setup but I'm going to do my fronts w/in the next month (I'm not in SD).
Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
stolitonic

from what i have read, our options are limited and the vert's cabin is not well suited for a high end system. so in the mean time, i will buy a used hk tweeter/mid to replace the blown front door speaker... then probably find aftermarket speakers or the bsw diy... just looking for something decent without breaking the bank if you know what i mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
Unfortunately, I'm in WI, so hearing my setup won't be an option. I've got the speaker and subwoofer upgrades and I'm happy with them. I DIY'd both, and I'd recommend you do the same. Speakers were easy to do. The subwoofer was more difficult and involved removing the entire back seat, but wasn't terrible.

As far as sound goes, the speakers are great. Huge upgrade on the HK ones. The subwoofer isn't fantastic. It definitely rounds out the sound (and sounds good), but it isn't a thumping, rumble in your chest kind of sub. Depending on what you're listening to, you'll be satisfied. I personally listen to just about anything from Justin Timberlake to classic rock to dubstep. The sub does great for anything that isn't bass-centric (like dubstep). Top down, windows down, speakers still do fine. The sound dissipates very quickly. The sub struggles a bit as well. But I can't see that changing with another set up. Just the nature of the vert.

If I had to do it again, I would. The sub isn't fantastic, but its super clean and doesn't take up any space.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
morningisbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolitonic View Post
from what i have read, our options are limited and the vert's cabin is not well suited for a high end system. so in the mean time, i will buy a used hk tweeter/mid to replace the blown front door speaker... then probably find aftermarket speakers or the bsw diy... just looking for something decent without breaking the bank if you know what i mean.
I follow. The bsw upgrades aren't cheap, but they're not all that expensive either. To me, the perfect fit made the relatively small extra cost worth it. I was hugely disappointed with the HK set up, so the bsw upgrade was my first mod.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolitonic View Post
please post what you install in your fronts... i'll keep an eye out for it.
I will be installing BSWs in my fronts.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningisbad View Post
The subwoofer isn't fantastic. It definitely rounds out the sound (and sounds good), but it isn't a thumping, rumble in your chest kind of sub.
Interesting that our experiences with the sub are the exact opposite! I have had my BSW sub installed for a few days now, and the bass at any level above the lowest is almost too much!

I had mine installed professionally and I have not yet crawled in the trunk to see what the amp settings are, but I will try to soon and report back. The installer put the remote sub control knob under my dash to the left of the steering wheel, and I keep that at the lowest possible setting - heck even my 19-year old son doesn't turn it past maybe 50%, and he insists on thumping bass!
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
morningisbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Interesting that our experiences with the sub are the exact opposite! I have had my BSW sub installed for a few days now, and the bass at any level above the lowest is almost too much!

I had mine installed professionally and I have not yet crawled in the trunk to see what the amp settings are, but I will try to soon and report back. The installer put the remote sub control knob under my dash to the left of the steering wheel, and I keep that at the lowest possible setting - heck even my 19-year old son doesn't turn it past maybe 50%, and he insists on thumping bass!
Its 1000 times better than the stock HK system! And it sounds great, no question there. But its far from the hard hitting system a lot are looking for. Its good enough for me, and will be for most adults. When I was working at bestbuy and rocking the employee discount I threw about 2k (retail) worth of subs and amps into my 08 mustang. Just pointing out that if you're looking for something to rattle your chest and piss off your neighbors, this is not the right road to be going down. I used to turn up the mustang's speakers and play some skrillex when my girl was in the car. She hated it

I'd also caution you to leave the knob alone. The way it sounds to be wired, experimenting with it freely can be a fast track to a blown sub
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
kaelumsonofson

My Ride: 03 Silver M3 Vert
OP, I just finished upgrading all the speakers in my car. I first tried to avoid the BSW Stage 1 because of the cost but in the end it just wasn't worth the trouble. I did attempt to upgrade the front speakers and ended up returning them because of fitment issues. The BSW Stage 1 dropped right in hassle free...and this was my first ever audio install (well second technically if you can't the first failed attempt) so it was pretty easy even for a beginner. I did break a few of those clips which hold the door panels on but I just ordered a whole ton of them from ebay for a few bucks. The speakers sound great and are probably good enough quality for anyone but the hardcore audiophiles. The videos BSW have up on youtube showing the install process has just about everything you need to know to do it yourself.

I decided on a different route for the sub as I don't think the value BSW delivers there is worth the cost. Plus, I'm not a fan of the free-air subs - I like the clean look of an enclosed one so I bought a shallow mount sub which only required a 0.25 ft^3 enclosure and built the box myself. I can pass along the measurements if needed (it's already posted on another thread here). I mated that with an amp that I installed where the CD changer normally goes. The thing sounds absolutely beautiful...should thump harder and cleaner than the BSW sub and cost me about $400 for everything including materials to build the enclosure. Building the box was the tough part due to the odd shape so if you aren't good at working with wood this may not be for you.

Last edited by kaelumsonofson; 07-30-2013 at 07:40 PM.
kaelumsonofson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
Glad to hear you are enjoying your sound system overall now, and your Stage 1 sound system

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
stolitonic

update - bsw stage 1 installed along with their sub. am happy with the outcome. sure it sub has it's limitations, but the sound is much better that the HK setup and i didn' lose out on the already scarce trunk space.

also installed the dice mediabridge (purchased at bsw as well) and the ipod and BT integration works great.

so, i would recommend for those interested in a better setup than HK... i think bsw's pricing is fair... you get perfect fitment - that goes a long way in a diy. a good option to go as well when the HK speakers fail over time.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
So glad to hear it is all installed and working well for you, keep enjoying that audio!

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote