E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Rymeister

My Ride: E46 convertabile
Can a vert be for a family?

Just found out my wife pregnant with our second kid. We already have a 5year old & just wanted to know if anyone has a vert & two kids & also can you fit a buggy in the boot?

Or it time for me to sell & get a E39?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Rymeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
01M3CAB

My Ride: 01 M3 Cab
Re: Can a vert be for a family?

thats a negative. u cant even fit a baby seat in the back

Sent from my SGH-I747M using BimmerApp mobile app
01M3CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Rymeister

The seats ain't a big problem. I have 1 in there now for the 5 year old & it has the ISOfix point for a baby seat. The 2 doors will be a pain tho.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Old 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
E46DrEaMeR

My Ride: 2002 320Cic
I have a 7yr old and a 2yr old and yes it is a bit of a problem at times living with a vert but im willing to put up with it, and that's the real question here! do you love your vert enough....... we manage to do all the things we all do! but sometimes its a bit of a squeeze ie buggy and a weeks shopping in the boot! but we do manage, there are far more pro's than con's.
there are a few buggies that'll fit in the boot, we had a travel system at first (silver cross) which went in the boot ok but didn't leave much room for anything else but when Jack was 3 mths old we went for a buggy which gave us a lot more room, my advice is give it a go if it don't work out then go for the E39 hth
Old 08-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Rymeister

Thanks least I know it can be done

Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Buck Henry

My Ride: 2001 330ci Convertib
Well, it aint the baby, it is all the crap that goes along with them! I had a nice Mustang once upon a time, but had to sell it when we had our first kid. There was just no room for the kid, stroller, portable crib, diaper bag, etc, etc, etc! I love my son, but I sure do miss that car!

Face it dude, you are headed towards driving one of these! Not to bad when you add some awesome flames on the side.

Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Rymeister

Lol no if it has to go I'd get a e39 I left bmw when we had our first baby but it didn't last long. Love the BM's too much lol

Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Verts can definitely be for a family, if that's not your only car. Wife and 2 pre-teens fit fine in mine... and you can have a few (def a FEW) small things in the trunk. (I think it will get tight if they keep growing too much. ) It helps to have an SUV for the other car for real trips, hauling, people moving, etc. If it's your only car, the answer is likely no. Like someone else said, it's the room you need for all the stuff, not so much the people.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 08-01-2013 at 10:03 PM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.

Our '04 330Ci Vert works well for our family even though our son is 5'2" at 9 years old!

Of course it does help we have a Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for all those long trips.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
I don't think it could be an only car, but as long as you have something bigger for when you need it the vert should work fine once in a while in a pinch.

My wife drives the vert and I have a Mega Cab Dodge truck. If we need space we can get six adults and all sorts of crap in the truck. If we don't need the space we take the vert. I did put a hitch on the vert so I can take my bike on trips with the wife, works great.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Rymeister

It's the only car as the wife still ain't passed her test

Old 08-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
why don't you wait and find out. i doubt it'll work as the only car

reminder to myself, don't get involved with a girl that can't drive
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
Rymeister

Lol may be it will be 3rd time lucky for her & she will pass

Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
aeigner

My Ride: 2001 330ci vert
Pre-kid I drove a Miata; the E46 'vert was the upgrade to a family car. Now we drive most everywhere, even on trips from SF to LA with the wife, 8 yr old kid, luggage and dog--and it's still more comfortable and way more fun than our station wagon that we use for hauling bigger/longer loads around town. Definitely worth trying to make it work

Last edited by aeigner; 08-21-2013 at 08:40 PM.
aeigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
orange260z

My Ride: '05 330i MSport vert
I recently purchased the e46 vert as a summer "family" car, to replace my Boxster. My kids, age 5 and 3, can fit pretty comfortably in the back.

I did run into challenges trying to find a harnessed child seat that actually fit into the rear buckets - the "butt area" is narrow, and the seat back angle is too steep, as is the rake of the headrest. I ended up buying the one that fit best, but the fit still isn't as good as I would like it to have been - the back of the baby seat doesn't make contact along the full height of the seat back, but it does fit deeply into the bottom bucket. I know that in the US you guys have some options that we don't, I've heard that some of the Recaro seats are designed to fit the more upright & deep bucket rear seats of sports cars.

The only other real issue is that with the top up, there isn't a lot of window for them so it is easier to get car sick. But with the top up, there is quite a bit more buffeting in the back seat, so I would say that it would be pretty unpleasant for a longer high-speed drive.

2005 BMW 330Ci M Sport Cabriolet
1970 Porsche 911 T/RS-spec
orange260z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
hagsdg7

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeigner View Post
Pre-kid I drove a Miata; the E46 'vert was the upgrade to a family car. Now we drive most everywhere, even on trips from SF to LA with the wife, 8 yr old kid, luggage and dog--and it's still more comfortable and way more fun than our station wagon that we use for hauling bigger/longer loads around town. Definitely worth trying to make it work
Same with me. Traded the my nc miata for my '04 before we had our son. Took him out last weekend for the first time (my wife rode with him in the back). He loved it.
hagsdg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #18
hagsdg7

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I should also add that the Missus has an XC90, which does most of the baby (and associated baby stuff) hauling. But we'd taken mine on a few two day trips with my son and have been fine. I think having a miata teaches one how to travel "light".
hagsdg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #19
danny351

My Ride: e46 330ci
I have the convertible and i have twins, 19 months old.

The seats do fit and it is actually easy to put the kids in the back seat (with the roof down!)

I dont have an issue with it, the kids actually love driving with the roof down.
danny351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Lionelski

My Ride: 325CIc
I wouldn't as an only car, expecially if you want to take a trip and need luggage space.
That said, I fit 2 carseats on the back seat with no problem.

IMHO, unless you drive with the seat close to the steering wheel, anyone in the back seat over 5 ft tall or so would need leg removal to fit even somewhat comfortably

Sport Package, Premium Package
Racing Dynamics Strut Tower Brace
Conforti Shark Injector, Conforti CAI
Interior: Leather, Euro Tray, M3 Dead Pedal

Last edited by Lionelski; 09-05-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Lionelski is offline   Reply With Quote