E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
e90dima

My Ride: e92
E46 Possible blown headgasket?

Okay, hears the story. I was driving my e46 330ci home and I noticed my coolant spray out of the coolant expansion tank area, and then I noticed my temp needle in the red. I was stuck in traffic, so I turned the car off and waited for it to clear up and started it back up to park it in a parking lot. I was 3 miles away from home, so I decided to drive it home by driving it up to 55 mph, and turn off the engine and let it coast, and I did that like 3-4 times. The temp did get red again, but was only there for like 3 mins. I parked the car at home, and the next day did a coolant system overhaul( new water pump, expansion tank, thermostat, etc...) The car runs fine right now and has plenty of power and no smoke or coolant in the oil, and no weird noises or check engine lights, but its only been 3 days since it happened. Is it safe to say I dodged a bullet, or will my engine slowly die?

Last edited by e90dima; 08-02-2013 at 04:14 PM.
e90dima is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
If your not loosing any coolant and your car is not overheating then I would say you are a lucky man.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I don't know why you would chance it even the three miles, you could have done more serious damage.

Glad that the car is running alright, and hope it stays that way.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
e90dima

My Ride: e92
I know, I shouldn't have done it, but I remembered my cousin had a 97 Honda accord, and drove 45 miles with the engine temp in the red, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to go 3 miles. On a side note when I got home I remembered I had roadside towing with my insurance company.
e90dima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post
I don't know why you would chance it even the three miles, you could have done more serious damage.

Glad that the car is running alright, and hope it stays that way.
+1. OP you're very fortunate you were stuck in traffic when it happened and not going highway speed. I wouldn't have chanced going 55mph again and coasting. But it looks like you're in the clear. Again, you're fortunate...
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote