E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
nacho

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Has anyone here replaced their ZKW headlights with OEM AL/Bosch Headlights?

I have a 2003 330 ZHP Sedan with bad ZKW headlights. I don't want to replace it with other ZKW headlights because they are junk and don't want to swap projectors, bowls, etc. I just want to swap the headlight with a brand new plug and play unit. The sell brand new Bosch/American Lighting OEM headlights for about $600 each brand new. Many 330i's came with these instead of ZKW. So you would think they would be plug and play? I found a post on ZHP mafia where a guy says they are plug and play but later on someone says something about holes not lining up, etc.

So all I want to know is can I buy brand new Bosch Bi-Xenon Magneti Marelli Headlights are they just plug and play if I replace the stock ZKW headlights?

If someone has done it, please reply.

Of course, ZHP mafia is no longer taking new members so I can contact the poster.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...M-replacements

Thank you.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Avetiso

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
If you have headlight washers, you will have to modify the plastics to make it fit.

If you do not have headlight washers, it is plug and play, just like it was on my old ZHP.

By the way, ZHP Mafia, where I am a member, accepts members, but they need to apply. This way, we filter out all the garbage/idiots/assholes you will commonly see here. I'd recommend applying to join if you are a respectful person and want a great forum to be on. I joined E46F before I joined the Mafia; I have 1,500 posts there, 35 here.

Last edited by Avetiso; 08-04-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Avetiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avetiso View Post
If you have headlight washers, you will have to modify the plastics to make it fit.

If you do not have headlight washers, it is plug and play, just like it was on my old ZHP.
No headlight washers! So the mounting screws, plugs, everything just matches up?

Did you actually do it on your old ZHP?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Avetiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
No headlight washers! So the mounting screws, plugs, everything just matches up?

Did you actually do it on your old ZHP?

Thanks.
Yes, I did this to my ZHP; firsthand experience. My car was hit in the front, so the ZKWs were smashed. I just went out and found some ALs from a junkyard for $500 in perfect working condition (besides the lenses) with bulbs and ballasts. Bolted right up, adjusters worked fine, absolutely no issues. Direct replacement.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
nacho

Quote:
By the way, ZHP Mafia, where I am a member, accepts members, but they need to apply. This way, we filter out all the garbage/idiots/assholes you will commonly see here. I'd recommend applying to join if you are a respectful person and want a great forum to be on. I joined E46F before I joined the Mafia; I have 1,500 posts there, 35 here.
I THINK I'm a respectful member. I have been on here Since 2005 with my E46 325i and 330 ZHP and 1addicts when I had my 1M. I have gotten flamed a few times for saying that I don't think fully-loaded auto-everything arcade-like ///M cars don't make sense to me, but that was mostly on the 1addicts and M3 Post forums. Anyway, I am not sure how to join ZHPMafia. Can you send me a PM of how I can inquire?

PS. It looks like you and I have 2003 ZHPs which I believe only came in manual!

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
nacho

Quote:
Yes, I did this to my ZHP; firsthand experience. My car was hit in the front, so the ZKWs were smashed. I just went out and found some ALs from a junkyard for $500 in perfect working condition (besides the lenses) with bulbs and ballasts. Bolted right up, adjusters worked fine, absolutely no issues. Direct replacement.
Really appreciate you taking the time to answer!

Thank you!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Avetiso

Quote:
I THINK I'm a respectful member. I have been on here Since 2005 with my E46 325i and 330 ZHP and 1addicts when I had my 1M. I have gotten flamed a few times for saying that I don't think fully-loaded auto-everything arcade-like ///M cars don't make sense to me, but that was mostly on the 1addicts and M3 Post forums. Anyway, I am not sure how to join ZHPMafia. Can you send me a PM of how I can inquire?

PS. It looks like you and I have 2003 ZHPs which I believe only came in manual!

Thank you.
I will send you a PM right now.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I would do this if I had ZKW headlights

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=254

AL headlights are mostly a direct swap. The mounting bracket is different. You have to cut away a portion of it to allow the relay-box of the AL headlights to fit.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 08-04-2013 at 11:00 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I would do this if I had ZKW headlights

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=254

AL headlights are mostly a direct swap. The mounting bracket is different. You have to cut away a portion of it to allow the relay-box of the AL headlights to fit.
Thank you. I have seen those before but want to stay as close to stock and plug and play if possible. If I can't find something reasonable, then this would be a possible alternative but exploring plug and play first.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Thank you. I have seen those before but want to stay as close to stock and plug and play if possible. If I can't find something reasonable, then this would be a possible alternative but exploring plug and play first.
Well it would be reasonably close to plug and play. Those kits are designed to not require epoxying or cutting or anything like that. And your original ballasts will still work -- externally it'd look OEM. Those projectors are based off the Hella E55 projectors (which were used in all sorts of cars like the E39, E60, E38, E65, E53, several Audis, Mercedes, Evo, and more). I bet you can even ask the to substitute the real E55 projectors since the mounting points are the same. Either one would be superior to the Bosch AL projectors IMO (especially the high beams)
Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Man this is super tempting...I think I will pull the trigger on my next paycheck.

It's a shame my ALs from my 328 won't accept the facelift corners
Old 08-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
jack.chris328
Modded ///Member

My Ride: is a truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Man this is super tempting...I think I will pull the trigger on my next paycheck.

It's a shame my ALs from my 328 won't accept the facelift corners
Not just your lights, but your fenders won't either.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
Hornung418

Re: Has anyone here replaced their ZKW headlights with OEM AL/Bosch Headlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.chris328 View Post
Not just your lights, but your fenders won't either.
Got a ZHP...came with ZKWs

Will the innards swap over to the ZKW housing?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
jack.chris328
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Got a ZHP...came with ZKWs

Will the innards swap over to the ZKW housing?

Ahh. I fell out of the loop. That is a bummer. Another buddy of mine just did the same. Got a nice ZHP but came with ZKW's. Doh!

Unfortunately, No. The internals won't swap over.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #15
Hornung418

Okay. Well I found halogens to go back into the 328i so I can salvage the lights and sell them to an enthusiast with Preface lights.

Thanks for the heads up Jack.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
nacho

Ok, I replaced my ZKW headlights with AL models and everything was in fact plug and play. The connectors were in different locations but all the same. The bummer is I bought mine new and Jack here had a set of used AL lights less than half of what I paid for new!!! Bummer, a couple of days and I could've saved about $700.

Anyway, the new AL lights come with the bracket but after comparing them and speaking with Jack, it's an easy cut to modify the ZKW bracket to fit the AL lights.

In retrospect, here are my lessons learned. There are probably some good used AL lights out there. Jack has a pair for example and probably the most cost effective way. Retrofits are cool if you can find an extra set of ZKW housings. Mine were in good shape with no broken tabs but when I was looking for another set to play with, most used ones had broken tabs so I opted for new but spent a lot of money on a 10 year old car.

Thanks to everyone here that helped out!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
TerraPhantm

^ If you retrofit the projectors now, you can probably sell those ZKW lights for decent profit
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
Hornung418

My EvoX-R lights arrived today. Excited to have a new project for the ZHP that actually involves upgrading and not fixing broken schtuff.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #19
jack.chris328
Modded ///Member

Awesome! Haha. That is a nice feeling. Have fun!