E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Oil Extractor Review

38K views 50 replies 30 participants last post by  rsjean 
#1 ·
I said I would do a review and here it is. I used my new Griots Garage oil extractor today and I believe I have had great results. 5K on my car and first oil change! (IMHO don't wait 15K)
(Always use gloves when changing oil)
I have been changing my own oil for decades and this is the easiest no-brainer I have ever experienced. Get that oil nice and hot and stick the well constructed and wire-reinforced tube into the dipstick tube until you hit bottom. A couple of pumps on the unit and , viola, it starts pulling like a champ until you hear that 'sucking sound'. Wiggle the tube, reposition and tweak and pump again and you will get most if not all of the oil out of the pan. As you know the oil filter is easy to change but do it after you remove the oil to prevent spillage.
I let the tube drain into the unit as the pic illustrates and I had not a drop of oil in my driveway, on the car or on my hands. Very pleased with the results. There are other brands out there which I think can give comparable results. Griots' unit is a Pela, I think, and the quality is very high.
BTW Mobile 1 has changed the formula very recently so get the 'NEW SUPER-SYN ANTI WEAR TECHNOLOGY' formula.
Real freaky how the car runs better too!!...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
No Prob

Clem, that would be fine to post in the review section.
I spent about 60 (US) at Griots for the unit. I think you can get a similar one at http://www.overtons.com/ for about the same price but I don't know if it has the wire insert inside the tube which stiffens it. I recently went to a tech session with the Puget Sound chapter of BMW CCA at Griots Garage--top drawer people!

#10 · (Edited)
I think Clem is right. Oil sediments are much less likely with synthetic oils but metallic particles might be an issue. The oil filter should capture them ( if they get there) and a magnetic drain plug would be helpful too. I have not seen any impartial literature about the amount of oil extracted with draining conventionally versus using an extractor. My guess is (only my guess) that 5k oil changes with a 'sucker' will be just fine. I'm still open to other opinions, though.

James- I bought 7qts of Mobile 1 for about 5 dollars each so that's 35 for oil. I put in about 6.5 qts. Get the filter at Pacific BMW or Cutters.

#11 ·
Most all dealers use the same system

Most all dealers now use the same system due to the undertrays on most cars. They don't want to waste the time of taking it off, breaking it etc.

Doug

I use to live in the Puget Sound area and Griots is a class company and while the products are more expesive they really back it up if there is any problem

:thumbup:

#12 ·
I have been using the Pela650 oil extractor for a few years on my 00 323i sport and I agree with Tim that this is a great product. I change the oil every 5000 miles, so I really save money as compaired to going to the dealer for an oil change which costs $85....There is a website www.mytoolstore.com which has a ASTRO oil extractor for $49 and it looks identical to the Pela 650. All that I can tell you guys is that this gizmo does the job well and you never have to get under the car again. But best of all the DIY oil change costs me $42... You can't beat that...

#13 ·
Has anyone used the oil extractor and then opened the drain plug to see if there was any oil left in the pan ? Would it help to lift/tilt our cars one way or another to ensure all the oil was in an area directley under the dipstick location ? I also think this would be a great tool but I (like everyone else I'm sure) want to make sure I get as much of the old oil out as possible.

#17 ·
Darn, everyone should get one of these. Up to how many quarts can that canister hold?

#18 ·
I agree that the oil should be change at 5k. 15k miles is way too long. However, I wouldn't use a oil extractor. Why would you do a oil change and not change the filter? It's like washing the car and not using soap.

IMO, I think you guys should invest in a professional jack that makes lifting up the car easy and some Craftsman wrenches instead.

#19 ·
mickey513 said:
I agree that the oil should be change at 5k. 15k miles is way too long. However, I wouldn't use a oil extractor. Why would you do a oil change and not change the filter? It's like washing the car and not using soap.

IMO, I think you guys should invest in a professional jack that makes lifting up the car easy and some Craftsman wrenches instead.
For one, BMW has they're oil filters in a canister infront of the engine near the top. (BMW uses filter elements not screw on type filters) For 2 no one ever mentioned NOT changing their filter.

#21 ·
Great review Tim....

I was planning on purchasing the same Pela extractor a while ago but thought about a better approach to changing oil. If you bring in your own oil (I use Mobil 1 5w-30) and filter (OEM filter of course) to a oil change center like Jiffy Lube or Econo Lube n Tune, they will only charge about $10 for the labor.

For $10, you can have them change your oil the traditional way and not worry about the sediments still remaining with the oil extractor. Plus you dont have to take the time to discard your old oil at a recycling center. I think its worth the $10 to have someone do it for you and not going thru the trouble of doing it yourself. And we all average about 2 oil changes a year so thats only an additional $20 for the year compared to the $75 for the extractor.

Not to crap on your thread Tim......this is a good review on the extractor and probably a good idea for the folks who like to change their own oil. I just think its more practical to pay for the oil change.

#23 ·
Clem said:
Ken,

Tim's point is not about the scheduled oil changes. It's about changing your oil often as in every 5000 miles. Not everyone is a believer in BMW oil intervals.

Yes.....I was also speaking of changing the oil every 5k miles. I recently changed mine at 5,000 miles. I agree that waiting 15k is waay too long. I just plan on paying the $10 labor every 5-6k miles when i change the oil. Just another option for people who dont wanna change the oil themselves.

#24 ·
After the oil is extracted into the canister, would you put that canister in your BMW to take it to a recycling or waste facility/center? What if you don't have a pick-up or something? How sturdy/strong is that canister?

#25 ·
Ken Ci said:

Yes.....I was also speaking of changing the oil every 5k miles. I recently changed mine at 5,000 miles. I agree that waiting 15k is waay too long. I just plan on paying the $10 labor every 5-6k miles when i change the oil. Just another option for people who dont wanna change the oil themselves.
Man you must not drive too much then :tongue: :tongue:

Well either way good tip, thanks.

I think this is more for the person who like doing their own maintenance. Some people take joy in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.