E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 34 Results
  1. E46 General
    Hey guys, For a few months now i’ve been facing a problem where my 2003 320d automatic starts vibrating from the rear under load. At first I thought it was my driveshaft. While changing the driveshaft i discovered broken transmission bushings and change them hoping it to be a solution to my...
  2. Australia
    Hi all, I have a 2003 320ci (ZF 5-speed auto) and I had the wheels off this past weekend to do a couple of things. While it was on stands I serviced the transmission and while cycling through it, in drive and reverse I noticed my diff was locking up randomly. So I'm on the hunt for a new diff...
  3. Driveline
    Looking for a used differential for my e46 323i sedan. Hoping to find one local. Let me know how many miles are on it, and what you would like for it. Thank you!
    $1 USD
  4. Suspension, Brakes
    Alright the time has come, i'm coming upon the dreaded rear subframe drop that everyone knows and loves. I will be dropping my subframe sometime in this next month as I have caught up on pretty much all the maintenance this car has been asking for. The car is an 02' 330ci with the beloved 5spd...
  5. E46 General
    Whats the best thing to do here? Quick fix ideas? Im looking to weld a new plate there, is that smart?
  6. E46 General
    I’ve been going back and forth on this decision since 2021 and I still don’t know what’s the right thing to do: 2005 BMW 325Ci with an open diff (correct me if I’m wrong). Car has over 200k miles, I have 0 idea if the previous owners had ever replaced the diff oil. I’m refreshing everything and...
  7. E46 General
    Hello hello, What could cause this knocking sound? It used to only appear when i had my foot on gas but few days ago when I got to highway and went full throttle, there was this extremely loud bang and the knocking sound started being continuous, much louder and more metallic-ish. Only thing I...
  8. Africa
    Hi everyone I know was hoping someone has the answer for me I jacked up the car but can only find one Allen bolt whole. I cannot find the fill and drain plug there is only one I tried searching around the diff but can't find the second one. Had anyone done the diff oil change on a compact...
  9. Europe
    Hello guys. I have bmw e46 320i 1999. I want to buy new diff, because my old one is pretty bad. The code on my current diff is 1214822J. There is also BM072 and number 18. I cant find if it is small/big head or what ratio it is, can someone help me please ? Thanks !!
  10. E46 General
    Why does the rear of my car start to shake when I shift and when I let off the gas ?
  11. E46 General
    hello everybody. I was swapping my diff when i realized that my half shaft was rubbing on my upper control arm, causing a mark and also making it extremely difficult to install the diff. I sat under the car for a significant amount of time trying to figure out how this was happening. I then...
  12. E46 XI
    Hello, I recently purchased a 2005 325xi. I needed a car to move to alaska with and I found this one with less than 150k on it for $3k. Immaculate interior, no dents or rust, no lights on the dash(besides washer fluid level). I was especially happy to find this car because I had had an E39 in...
  13. Driveline, Performance, Tuning
    Yeah I know, it’s another diff question I’m sorry guys. I’ve been doing a little bit of searching and I’ve seen lots (and lots and lots and lots) of discussion about the practicality of using the 3.46 diff and whether or not it’s ratio is too short to be useable for daily driving, but that’s not...
  14. Driveline, Performance, Tuning
    So I’m trying to figure out what diff I should go with for drifting. I currently have the stock 3.15 ratio welded up and it works but I was wondering if a 3.46 would be a huge performance boost for drifting. The events around me are kinda all over the place. I’ve been to one that seems like a...
  15. Motorsports, Track
    Hi all! I have just acquired my e46 323i manual convertible and starting my drift build, so far I have found so much useful info here and was hoping to get some specific help on the diff. so, if I’m right I have a 3.07 ratio medium case (188) diff? I want to get a shorter ratio to get more...
  16. Driveline, Performance, Tuning
    I’m looking to get a LSD for my 320ci. It says it has a 188k and I just want to be positive it will fit. I’m looking at getting this one that I will link. Thanks http://www.mattlewisracing.co.uk/product.php/2899/1197/limited_slip_differential_bmw_1_3_series
  17. E46 General
    How does the E46 open diff work?
  18. E46 General
    Hi guys.. Got a big knock sound (and jolt felt) when shifting from Drive into Reverse and vice versa. Just had the Diff mount changed which was on its way out but the issue remains unchanged. Got told there is a bit of backlash in the diff and an oil change might help. Any experience of this...
  19. E46 General
    Recently did some work to my diff including replacing the halfshaft/output seals. After a while I noticed they were both leaking but I can't figure out why. When installing them I used a bit of diff oil as lube and just slowly hammered them into place with a mallet and blunt piece of metal. Only...
  20. E46 General
    Hello, I have an e46 touring project and I need some info. I wanna push 600 hp out of an m52 and I know the rear ends fail, so I was gonna do an m3 full rear end swap as well as reinforcement plates. Does anyone know if the rear end swap will affect my compatibility with my coil-overs or will I...
1-20 of 34 Results