E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 149 Results
  1. New Member Introductions
    hey everyone. in october i rebuilt the vanos on my 00 328ci because i was having the rpm drop at idle that is cause by the pcm trying to retard the vanos during cold starts. after rebuilding the vanos with the el-ring kit i found it fixed my problem and gave me a slight boost in power. after...
  2. E46 General
    Hey guys, I replaced the vanos seals (not the anti rattle though) a few months ago, and after around 50 miles of driving, I had a p0015 code. The engine also sounded like something was knocking inside or next to the vanos unit. I took out the solenoids and cleaned them thoroughly, and reset the...
  3. E46 General
    For a short while now my 325i has had a knocking noise. Its coming from under the valve cover on the front of the engine where the vanos is. It almost sounds like rod knock or sort of like someone flicking a plastic cup. The thing I find strange is that the noise completely goes away when on...
  4. E46 General
    Is the Vanos unit the same on 325i vs 330i … I’m hunting new pistons … I may or may not have damaged my pistons taking the bolt off …. Smh
  5. E46 General
    Hi. I have the same issue that is described in the video linked below. I have codes like 2766 and 3C1F. Symptoms are the same as that video. I post this video because author of that video is member here and he said it was mechanical timing mismatch issue. He also said, that there are two options...
  6. E46 General
    Basically the title. Looking to rent one and the one the place has can do up to 250Nm apparently. I know there is no torque spec given for these but if anyone has done it with a similar strength impact wrench, please let me know. To clarify, this was in regards to opening up to piston itself to...
  7. E46 General
    So I have been battling this weird issue with the car (2001 330i 5sp) since I purchased back in 2019. Whenever the car warms up, or shut off and drive for about 20-30 minutes, it will have a random power surge at around 2800-3200 rpm. After this power surge the throttle response gets really...
  8. E46 M3
    Looking to diagnose what the potential source of this oil leak is. Anyone have any ideas? First thought was the VANOS high pressure oil line, or the pressure accumulator but the spray is quite wide as far as the floor area. Could it be the boot on the steering rack? Let me know what y'all think.
  9. E46 General
    Hello, I have a 1999 328i auto trans. My car has a leak of low-end power. I have no CEL, but 4 errors: P0130: Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 1, bank 1 - circuit malfunction P0170: Fuel trim (FT), bank 1 - malfunction P0160: Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, bank 2 - no activity detected P1525...
  10. E46 M3
    Hello everyone, I’ve been having some issues with my 2004 e46 m3 smg. Multiple fault codes, when turning the car on the rpm’s drop just before stalling (whole cars shakes) then bounces back up to around 1,200 rpm’s. There’s a noticeable fuel smell as well, the next part didn’t happen while I was...
  11. E46 General
    Hi all, having a weird one. I replaced the vanos oil line and camshaft sensor in the 330 vert today. To get the oil line out, I unplugged a bunch of sensors and then put everything back together. Now my car cranks, but wont start. I am getting a bunch of DME error codes and recurring ABS-DSC...
  12. E46 General
    2003 330i - Original exhaust that has gotten louder over the last six months. Searched threads, most about how to get louder.. ;-) I'd like to figure out if I have a problem. No obvious gaps, holes or rust. Local Euro wrench shop with the lift also was not able to find any issues, including...
  13. E46 General
    So the other day I did my VANOS seals with an anti-rattle kit due to the new E46 having the VANOS rattling problem. I wanted to clean up the unit because it had some varnish on it, and needless to say I used purple power without thinking. I used it on the intake before? Why wouldn't it be bad...
  14. E46 General
    Hey again all. It's been a while as my mechanic that I thought I could trust has had my e46 in the shop for the past 4 months to do a simple timing chain guide job. But now I have a problem and I sure as heck don't want to be waiting without my car any longer. So when I got it back, I had a...
  15. E46 General
    Just wondering cause the M52 lineup gets confusing when it comes to the E46’s. To be specific it’s an E46 from California.
  16. E46 General
    Hello all, so I just put my cylinder head in and timed everything up. As I was going to put in the vanos unit I noticed that it wasn’t going on perfectly even. I know I shouldn’t but I tightened down the nuts holding the vanos on to align everything together so I tightened everything up and went...
  17. E46 General
    I have a 2004 330xi with 122,000 miles that makes a ticking/rapping type noise when cold. Cold as in ambient air temperature cold. It only makes the noise if the weather is below 55 degrees outside and continues to make the noise until my temp needle just gets out of the blue area slowly getting...
  18. E46 General
    Guys, While I'm there? It all started with a spark plug replacement. Then it became engine cover gasket, new coils. Now I'm thinking VANOS rebuild and OHF. I am kind of afraid to tackle the VANOS rebuild but, since I have the engine cover out and things actually have a good black Friday...
  19. E46 M3
    Hey Everyone, I have been reading a lot of the different threads on the S54 Double VANOs system and there seems to be a wide variety of root causes to various error codes. One thing I am seeing most commonly is that the solenoids are prone to sticking/getting gummed up over time and a tell tail...
  20. E46 General
    Hey, I've got an issue with my M52TUB25 on my 323i. A few months ago I started feeling and hearing a kind of grinding noise coming from the front of the valve cover, near the VANOS. After doing some research, I decided to redo the VANOS with a seal and anti-rattle ring kit, that didn't fix the...
1-20 of 149 Results