E46 Fanatics Forum banner

[MS4X] Dev Group Flasher For MS42 & MS43

147K views 310 replies 98 participants last post by  B30_Drew 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Fanatics,

We, the MS4X dev group, are proud to announce the release of a new flasher for Siemens MS42 and MS43 ECU series :excited:

The best thing first: this flasher significantly boosts read and write speeds for both, partial (30 seconds) and full (2 minutes) flashes.

Beside that, there are other very handy features integrated into the flasher:

• automatic detection for MS42 and MS43
  • (fixed) automatic checksum correction
  • EWS3 key sync and reset (exact copy of INPA)
  • adaptions reset
  • battery voltage safety check before flashing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKwSqYBEybI

Before you can use the flashing capabilities, you have to register your hardware ID and put the downloaded licence file into the flasher directory.

Licences are time limited to 1 year and the program will remind you to reactivate three days before ending date.

Don't hesitate asking questions or report bugs! Make sure to install FTDI drivers ;)

Happy flashing 👍

Download:
Activation:
Changelog:

v1.0

• Initial release
v1.01
  • Hardware ID will show at startup if an FTDI cable is detected
v1.02
  • Icon updated to new logo
  • MS42 fullflash bug fixed
  • Minor spelling fixes
v1.03
  • New encryption settings for less AV false positives
v1.1.3
  • Checksum corrector for local files
  • DTC reader (incl. raw output)
  • Various bugfixes

See less See more
#41 ·
Just stumbled on this as I was fussing around with some MS4x stuff, always used the Chipster or JMgarage tools but this looks like a cool addition to the stack of options.

I would say I wonder about the license thing.

No plans on making it payed ever, this is just to keep it under control.
I mean, not to be a dick, but, 'Under Control' ? What does that really mean? As long as you're free-registering it for any submission on the web, what control is that? And the 1-year timeout?

After what happened with Chipster, and on the MSS5x scene - specifically how guys who are still plenty alive somewhere, just disappeared from the scene when they are no longer interested in a project/platform, leaving the platform/software/project stranded... (that has basically happened with 3 guys / projects over there...)

Don't get me wrong, its OP's project/intellectual property/ etc. can do what you want with it, just saying... I'd rather have some honesty like "free for now but may charge for it at some point in the future"... because otherwise putting a required license with a timeout in makes the whole thing a solid PITA if you ever disappear...

#9 ·
Fixerd that, in V1.01 you can see the HW ID directly at the start.

But to be honest, you could have simply gone to your car, obtain the HW ID, go back to the internet, copy the licence key file and still be faster than the old tools. ;)

#14 · (Edited)
MS42 and 43 use DS2 commands right? Any interest in adding MSS54 support? I could help out if given source access. Also on the MSS54 there's a command to virginize the DME (clear everything except boot sector), seems like the same command exists on the MS43, but I haven't tested it - could make it so that you almost never have to use boot mode.

I've tried making my own implementation of a fast flasher using EdiabasLib, but it's fairly broken with the pre-KWP2000 stuff.

#16 ·
Yes, the licence files are compatible with later versions.

I just downloaded/installed V 1.01 and tested the partial read and wow, it is blazing fast. Nice to have the adaptations reset option within the same flashing program. Nice job!!!!
Thanks, that was the intention :)

MS42 and 43 use DS2 commands right? Any interest in adding MSS54 support? I could help out if given source access. Also on the MSS54 there's a command to virginize the DME (clear everything except boot sector), seems like the same command exists on the MS43, but I haven't tested it - could make it so that you almost never have to use boot mode.

I've tried making my own implementation of a fast flasher using EdiabasLib, but it's fairly broken with the pre-KWP2000 stuff.
Yes, they use DS2 commands. I have to discuss that in the team, as it's not me in person who owns the source.

Thats a very interesting topic, BMW/Siemens did not put something like that into their DS2 documentation and they even wrote down a way to startup the ECU without immobilizer present for testing purposes :yikes:

#17 · (Edited)
I got the flasher functioning beautifully on my buddies windows 10 machine. But it wont run on my windows 7 machine. Gives me this:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ms4x flasher v1.01.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.1.0
Problem Signature 03: 5d41f451
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ba1da6f
Problem Signature 07: 270a
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: 5O2O3I2ORVH4ZJ0NRQ1HQUEQ4B3YAU4U
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

am I missing some framework to be able to launch this?

#18 ·
I got the flasher functioning beautifully on my buddies windows 10 machine. But it wont run on my windows 7 machine. Gives me this:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ms4x flasher v1.01.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.1.0
Problem Signature 03: 5d41f451
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ba1da6f
Problem Signature 07: 270a
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: 5O2O3I2ORVH4ZJ0NRQ1HQUEQ4B3YAU4U
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

am I missing some framework to be able to launch this?
There seems be a change in the encryption mechanisms of Windows 7 from SP1 to "SP2". Update Windows 7 to the latest state and install latest .NET Framework 4.5 :)

#21 · (Edited)
Index out of range

Tool looks nice!

Sadly though, i have a couple of issues that i just couldnt resolve yesterday night.

1.) Partial read results in an unreadable 32KB file - Nevermind. TunerPro just has some weird issue with it. Works fine with RomRaider.
2.) Full flash results in an Error at about the same 90% everytime: Error: Index out of Range
3.) Can't launch the application on Windows 1903:
Windows Defender recognizes the application as a Virus (Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml)! Event though i restored & allowed it, it kept blocking it!
Only after allowing it a second time, it stuck. That was why it didn't launch. Launches fine now, Index out of Range persists though...

I already tried quite a few things:
1.) Different Windows 10 versions (1803,1809,1903)
2.) Different laptop alltogether
3.) Different drivers for my cable (FTDI 232R, works reliably in INPA)

Nothing helps :bawling:

I would really like to use the Tool, since i wouldnt have to ground the bootpin all the time while flashing and especially because its that quick!

#25 ·
I downloaded the flasher, but I am unable to activate it.
I went and generated a license file using the hardware key, and placed it in the flasher folder, however when I re-started the flasher, it still says "Not Activated".
Am I missing something?
I made sure there are no extra spaces when copying the hardware key.

#29 ·
I was moaning in an earlier post about potential virus nonsense.
Windows 10 - configured Defender to ignore directory exe in - all fine.
Was able to read the full and partial bin's. :bow:
Loaded partial in TunerPro - all good.
The tool to use to back up your originals with minimum fuss.
Many Thanks Guys