E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Remote won't unlock passenger door

66K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  George Meteora 
#1 ·
When i press unlock on the remote the driver door unlocks but the second press does not unlock the passenger door. At first it was intermittent but now it almost never works. The button in the center console always works.

Anyone know what might be wrong?

its a 2002 330CI

#2 ·
I've had the same problem with my 325 for about 2 years now. It only happens once every 10 times or so but the center console wont unlock the passenger door either unless the car is completely locked and then unlocked again. The BMW dealership told me it might be due to "solar flares that add radiation to the atmosphere interfering with radio transmissions..." Bullshit. Never been able to reproduce the problem for them so they won't even check it out.

#3 ·
mine just started doing the same crap. it wasnt opening anything at all, doors or trunk. i had to manualy put it in the key lock to do all that, then I took it to the dealer and they couldnt find a problem. Tried telling me it might bet the tint cause they couldnt get it to do what I said it was doing. It worked for a couple days after that and now the thing is acting stupid again!!!

#12 · (Edited)
Reviving an old thread, since this is the one google found.

I just started having this happen on my 2002 cic.
Twice now the passenger door has not unlocked when I push the unlock button on my key. When that happens the center lock button does not work (on the passenger door, it still works the drive door), I have to lean over and unlock the passenger door by pulling the handle.

My key is programmed to unlock all doors on one push. I usually drive alone so this may have been happening before and I did not notice.

It is frustrating. I just went out and locked and unlocked many times and it worked fine. :banghead:

Any ideas? I'm guessing a lazy, or corroded contact, on a relay somewhere. Perhaps in the "general module"?

edit: maybe it is because I don't have a passenger opening that door enough?

#10 ·
Anyone has a fix for the doors not locking or unlocking with the remote key? My car locked me out and I had to go into the truck to unlock the door and someone called the cops on me because it looked as if I was trying to steal my own car. Now my key will not work to manually lock or unlock my door it just turns. Can anyone help?

#11 ·
The lock cylinder in the driver's door is broken. That's why it just turns. You need to get that fixed or replaced. Here are instructions on how to get it out www.bmwgm5.com/lock_cylinder.htm

It sounds like your remote is not working either. Get the key tested and if it's bad buy a new one or get it fixed.

There are two ways to unlock the doors from the outside. You should never rely on just one. If one way breaks FIX IT. If both break then you are just screwed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#15 ·
Intermittent unlocking problems is due to a bad general module. If the unlocking problem was permanent then replace the actuator. If you do need to replace the actuator always replace with a brand new one. Do not use a used one because if the high failure rate and you really don’t want to be doing the job twice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.