E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Spannerhead's 2002 Orient Blue 330i/5 Slicktop
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #148
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 2000 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Gave the E46 a little love this past weekend:

- My driver's rear tire is nearly bald on the inside shoulder. Passenger side wear is even. Somewhat odd, but I swapped them side-to-side and will be ordering new rears in the near future.
- I think I need new rear shocks. I suspect they're original---there's rust around the top of the shaft and the bumpstops are falling apart. Additionally, the trunk liner that cover the shock towers is completely intact; no sign of removal to replace. And I'm getting a faint rattling noise from the right rear corner. RTABs seem OK; no movement or clunking from either.
- This nut worked its way just a bit loose again:

I had to disconnect the swaybar mounts to be able to get a wrench on the nut to torque it. Awful location. Tightened it as much as I possibly could. There's still a very minor amount of play, but complete tightness will have to wait for a full control arm replacement, most likely.
I'm guessing you have bad rear shocks, that's why your tire is so worn. I would replace the shocks, new shock mounts, and install reinforcement plates before buying new tires. If your bump stop is toast it could be from the blown shock.

If you haven't replaced the rear trailing arm bushings, they are bad. Replace those with RTAB limiters if you decide to install original bushings.

Are your control arms original?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote