E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Spannerhead's 2002 Orient Blue 330i/5 Slicktop
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #150
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 2000 528iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead
How would a bad shock cause the tire wear? The shocks don't control wheel position; they just dampen its up-and-down movement.
A worn shock would not provide dampening to keep the wheel on the ground. Ever notice cars sometimes driving down the freeway with a wheel bouncing like crazy? Yours could be in this realm... or you did a crazy one wheel burnout. lol.

Quote:
The bump stop just looks old and crumbly from time; doesn't look like it's been impacted by the top of the shock.
Okay, that's good. I'd also consider replacing these parts when you install new shocks.

Quote:
How do you figure? No play back there; no clunking.
You won't get play per say, but the metal inner part of the bushing separates from the rubber bushing. The real wheel will wander when bumps are hit or when you make turns. The limiters in this case keep the wheel from having unexpected changes in toe. As that bushing wears that toe tolerance becomes greater. I know in my experience you may not notice any issues in the rear end, but I guarantee if you replace the bushings you'll feel the difference.

In my photo you can see that while the rubber looks good on my old bushings, it is clearly separating.

Quote:
Doubt it. The balljoint boots look too good to have traveled 165K. One of the first things I did after I bought the car was to replace the FCABs (but not the arms).
One way you can check the ball joints is to turn the wheel slightly out on each side. Put your foot on the wheel and push to move the wheel, it shouldn't move. If it does, that's a good indication you have bad ball joints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote