E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Rolling over 401K & down payment savings
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 AM   #5
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
Good info. Just a few questions:

1) Would I be able to move my retirement savings to a 401K if I change companies again and find that I like the new company's 401K plan?

2) If I want to trade stocks with part of my down payment savings should I still stick with Vanguard? I like Vanguards ETFs for the long-term, but also want to do some day trading on the side as well.

3) Is the fact that I have an account open with Robinhood going to affect anything?

4) Am I really limited to $5500 for a Traditional IRA? That seems like a huge drawback from the $18,000 I can contribute to a 401K. Maybe I am not understanding this right.
1. You can rollover an IRA into a 401k. Though I doubt you'll find a 401k plan with "better" offerings than you would find available at Vanguard (I'd say the chance was 0%, but there might be an outlier somewhere).

2. Day-trading with money that is "needed soon" is a pretty bad idea. That said, you can trade stocks at Vanguard.

3. It shouldn't impact your ability to rollover a 401k or invest money elsewhere.

4. Yes, IRA contributions are limited to $5,500 per year and 401k contributions are limited to $18k per year (from you). For most people, you can contribute to both. I maxed out my 401k last year and contributed $5,500 to my Roth IRA for example. There are various limits for determining eligibility for Roth and/or tax deductibility of contributions to tIRAs however.

*note: contribution limits do NOT include money rolled over into an IRA.

Edited the first bullet for accuracy thanks to JJ's noticing it was incorrect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog posts:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Wraisil; 05-03-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote