E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV?

669K views 2K replies 165 participants last post by  harryberlin 
#1 · (Edited)
[PIBUS] DIY E46/E39 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV?

So I bought me one of those Raspberry Pi boards for $25 (actually more like $40 in Australia after shipping/gst etc) and hooked the video-out to my car. It works :)

It won't be easy, but potentially you could do lots of things with this, without ripping out your factory equipment:
1. MP3s with album art, playing from SDCard or USB
2. Videos off USB storage
3. Digital Radio
4. Digital TV? (antenna will be a problem)

Stay tuned, an interface to the headunit buttons is the next step. Information dumped at: http://pibus.info

Attachments

See less See more
#203 ·
Hi Pete,

Looking at this a bit more, it looks like you don't need the raspberry at all, it appears to be there just for the xbmc and sd/video/mp3 storage, is that correct? The MC is the clever (very clever) bmw interface?

Also is the attiny2313a-su programmable on the board as is?

#205 ·
What do you propose it do without xbmc and sd/video/mp3 storage? It'll be a pretty dumb unit. Yes it's programmable, there's a header on the board.

Hey Pete

Should the mode function switch the screen between the standard stereo and the Pi, or is the video output from the pi constant regardless of what channel its on?

mine stays if you switch it to radio / tape / etc.

Not a big deal but if it is supposed to come back out of the pi's video when you change from the CD input, then mine's misfiring somewhere.
You mean you can't see your normal BMW menu any more? It's not right.

It switches back if you press e.g. MENU, FM, MODE and some other keys. Check your Pin17 isn't shorted to ground and that Q4 is soldered on correctly.

#204 ·
Hey Pete

Should the mode function switch the screen between the standard stereo and the Pi, or is the video output from the pi constant regardless of what channel its on?

mine stays if you switch it to radio / tape / etc.

Not a big deal but if it is supposed to come back out of the pi's video when you change from the CD input, then mine's misfiring somewhere.

#208 ·
Case design

Hi All,

I'm working on a case to house the Pi + PiBus interface, a hard disk and a USB hub. I'm currently looking for some suitable panel mounted connectors. It's taking a while though as I don't have much spare time at the moment.

The case is based on a Hammond Enclosure, part no. 1455ZT2201 from Farnell. It's a great looking case and not over priced at around £24 +vat. It's made from aluminium so should help with heat dissipation. I'm also going to design a simple temperature controlled fan that will be independent of the Pi.

All my designs are done using Google SketchUp, so when it's all done I'll try to post the design or email it out upon request.

Another development is to add some of the more useful XBMC plugins to control the phone and add OBC functions.

A question for Pete: Does the Pi have access to the iBus or is it just AT micro that controls it? If the Pi has this access then there should be no reason for the plugins not to work.

I have been asked by ccfj1 to build his PiBus board, if anyone else in the UK wants an assembly service I'd be happy to build the boards.

#210 ·
Hi Pete, I've completely build my Pibus, but i'm encountering problems with video switch. When I select CDC I see the CDC Screen with CDC 1-04 Displayed, but it doesn't switch to AV Input.

I've double checked video connection output from pibus, which is OK because Display is OK when connected to AV input on TV Tuner.

I suspect that the Ibus message isn't sent to TV Module to switch input.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anto

PS : link to my ibus log http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/499845/ibus-txt.html

#216 ·
Hi Pete,

My led is blinking at 1 Hz, It normally blink once but sometimes I can see it blinking twice. (approx. quarter of the time)

I've started pibus without -b option to test but the phone button doesn't either switch the video.

I've tested voltage PB0 and Pin 10 of attiny (given as GND in your schemas), and it's always 0.

I'm sure of Q4 is similar to Q2 and Q3 which seems to be good regarding your parts list.

Do you think removing Q4 will change something on PB0 voltage ?

#217 ·
I got my pibus interface today, took only 8 days to travel across the planet.
But I couldn't get it to work.

The pibus interface seems to be working, my Screen says CD1-04 as it should. But there is no video from the Raspberry Pi.

I tested the RPi a couple of days ago with the latest OpenELEC and everything seems to be working fine. Also, the pibus-software is writing a logfile (which I attached to this post, just remove the ".pdf").

Everything should be wired correctly even though my video module looks slightly different than in your pictures. Mine looks like this:

The pin assignment should be the same though.

Aside from not getting a video signal on the car's screen / the screen not switching to the RPi, do you have to set a specific screen resolution in XBMC before wiring it up in your car?

Attachments

#218 · (Edited)
I got my pibus interface today, took only 8 days to travel across the planet.
But I couldn't get it to work.

The pibus interface seems to be working, my Screen says CD1-04 as it should. But there is no video from the Raspberry Pi.

I tested the RPi a couple of days ago with the latest OpenELEC and everything seems to be working fine. Also, the pibus-software is writing a logfile (which I attached to this post, just remove the ".pdf").

Everything should be wired correctly even though my video module looks slightly different than in your pictures. Mine looks like this:

The pin assignment should be the same though.

Aside from not getting a video signal on the car's screen / the screen not switching to the RPi, do you have to set a specific screen resolution in XBMC before wiring it up in your car?
It seems That we have exactly the same problem.

Pete, have you sent other pibus to Europe than ours ? Could it be a specificity of european cars ? (Not the good message on CDC selected for example ) it could explain That video switch isn't triggered ?

#220 ·
Hi Pete thanks for your reply,

I've tried to connect directly PIN17 to CD changer's GND. (Left pin on CD changer alim I think) and nothing happens, it doesn't switch video.

I don't understand anything because there's no tension between PB0 pin and GND; PB0 doesn't seem to shift Q4 when CDC is selected but direct connection to GND doesn't seem to work.

Is my video modul faulty ? In that case why is there no tension at PB0, when CDC selected ?

Could it be a GND problem in CDC alim ? CDC was fully functional before.

The fact that Mopinsky is encountering exactly the same trouble make me looking for a difference in our cars. Can you tell me the part number of your TV tuner ? I've bought mine from Germany, perhaps it have a special wiring in this country ?

I'm today really disappointed as I don't where to search for a solution. I'm not understanding anything.

PS : to measure tension at PB0, I use a multimeter between pin 10 and pin 12 of the attiny. Am I Right ?

#226 ·
Hi Pete thanks for your reply,

I've tried to connect directly PIN17 to CD changer's GND. (Left pin on CD changer alim I think) and nothing happens, it doesn't switch video.
I would be focusing on this. You can touch it to the steel frame of the TV module and it switches - I did this in my early testing. I think you need to check the pin 17 on the TV module, make sure it isn't dirty, corroded or bent. Or double check you counted to 17 from the correct side.

But I have still got one problem / weird behaviour: After pressing the "mode" button and therefore selecting CD / XBMC, the screen switches to XBMC and I can control it. But after 7-8 seconds the screen switches back to the BMW menu where you can select "TV", "Einstellungen (settings)", "Navigation" and so on.

Isn't this button circled in red your solution?

#222 · (Edited)
I just tested it again and now it works. :excited: I think I didn't wire it correctly yesterday.:facepalm:

anto: Double check if you wired everything correctly. Only today did I see that there are numbers on the plugs that go in the white and blue ports of the video module. The numbers say 1, 9, 10 and 18 so you can easily find the needed holes. Make sure you stick the pins in the right holes. I think that's what was my mistake.
Also: the partnumber of my video module is 6936096 if that helps you.

But I have still got one problem / weird behaviour: After pressing the "mode" button and therefore selecting CD / XBMC, the screen switches to XBMC and I can control it. But after 7-8 seconds the screen switches back to the BMW menu where you can select "TV", "Einstellungen (settings)", "Navigation" and so on.
Only after re-pressing "mode" it switches back to XBMC but after 7-8 seconds it goes to the main menu again.
The switching back to the main menu happens when I don't press any buttons or don't turn the right knob. So when I keep XBMC "busy" the screen doesn't switch. Note that only the screen switches, the music from XBMC is still playing.

From the BMW menu I can switch manually to XBMC by pressing the phone button but then I only see XBMC but can't control it.

Perhaps a look at the latest logfile (remove the ".pdf") will give you an idea. You might want to start analysing it from the second latest occurrence of "startup" since the ones before that could be from yesterday when the wiring was wrong.

But apart from me not being able to connect the wires correctly and the little problem with the switching: Woohoo! XBMC in my car!!! :) :clap:

Attachments

#223 ·
Are you running pibus app with good parameters ?

If you have an MK4, you'll have to run it with -m to avoid pibus declaring CDC each 30 seconds.

I've noticed that it can disturb the MK4, which looses the CDC. The source changes and pibus unselect CDC, which causes you to switch to OEM screen.

#225 · (Edited)
Hi Mopinski,

I get the same behavior when the engine is off and the battery voltage is a little low, but it's fine with the engine running.

I'm going to put a great big capacitor on the +12V line AFTER the isolating diode on the PiBus (at C2) to see if that filters out whatever glitches are currently getting the ATTiny to switch wrongly with the engine off.

bye.

#228 ·
@PeteAU: Thank you. That was the solution. I can't believe I haven't tried this. :facepalm: Now it works perfectly!!!

Now I have to reorganise my music collection because I have got a couple of hundred MP3s in one directory (on USB) and it takes a long time to go into that directory and/or to play one of these many MP3s.

And I also must show my friends the whole thing. :D

#229 · (Edited)
Installation Details

PiBUS - Raspberry Pi in an IBus BMW

IBus is a low speed data network for Info-tainment implemented in BMW (and other) vehicles between the mid 1990s up to about 2010. Raspberry Pi is a small 'experimeters' computer with over 20 input/output connections available.

The iBus.hex and PiBus programs join the two together AND intelligently switch power, audio and video signals as required on a Mk3 or Mk4 Video Module.
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The iBus program running on the interface circuit board switches power and video sources in response to certain iBus messages. It allows normal multi function display, or (when CDC mode is selected) XBMC output or (when reverse gear is selected) the image from a reverse facing camera to appear on the multi function display on the dashboard. The video sources may also be selected maually with the 'Phone' button (great for towing with a camera on a trailer).

If all you want is to add a reversing camera input then you don't need a Raspberry Pi computer, the interface board (with ibus.hex) will do that nicely.
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XBMC running on a Raspberry Pi plays audio and video from any attached device - SD card, USB Flash Drive, USB hard disk, TV stick, etc.

The PiBus program running on the Raspberry Pi basically reads and writes the ibus to generate keyboard press codes from radio button presses. It makes XBMC think you are using a real keyboard and your BMW think there's a CD-Changer installed and operating.
To add a reversing camera your car must have an iBus with a BMW Mark3 or Mark4 video module connected to a multi function display (video screen), to run XBMC you must also have a CD Changer (not necessarily working - you just need its connections).

You will need to build a simple interface circuit (PiBus) to connect the Raspberry Pi to the BMW IBus.
_This circuit draws power from and communicates over the 3 wire IBus system.
_It directs video (W13, W14) and video switching control (B17) to the BMW's video module.
Note - If all you want is to add reversing camera input then this is all the hardware you need (plus a camera!).
_It switches power on to the Raspberry Pi when the vehicle is unlocked.
+==========================================================================================================
You will need a Raspberry Pi micro computer to run XBMC.
_Model B has twice the memory and extra USB sockets over Model A for only a few dollars more - recommended.
You will need to connect a Raspberry Pi to the interface circuit and to the CD audio cable.
_It sends fake status messages to the BMW's Instrument Cluster to pretend to be a CD Changer.
_It collects button presses and knob turns from the BMW radio head unit to pass to the XBMC program.
_It outputs video and stereo sound when the Infotainment system is in CDC mode (splice into CDC audio cables).
You will need an SD card to hold the software, the faster the better. 1GB min to 16GB max.
You will need a card reader on your PC (Windows or linux) to set up an SD card.

Optionally you will need a small TV camera - NTSC system (not PAL).
Optionally you will need an ATtiny programmer/burner (if you don't buy the preprogrammed kit).

The 2 circuit boards can be connected to any part of the IBus (different in each type of vehicle) but the audio has to go to the CD plug (pins 1-2 & 4-5) at either the CDC or the Amplifier end of the twisted cable run. The video has to go to the video module at White plug pin 13 (with video ground to pin 14). To switch the video a (pull down) connection also has to be made to Blue plug pin 17. If you don't have a White Plug (no Nav) almost any 2 pin plug (2.5mm spacing) can be used to connect to pins 13 & 14 and a little hot melt glue will keep it in place.

Text Line Font Parallel
Text Font Line

The optional camera (NTSC) also connects to the interface circuit (and is switched on or off by it).

For installation to the Raspberry Pi SD card -
+==========================================================================================================
Download and extract files from pibus-xxxxxxxx.zip (Translators/emulators between BMW IBus and Raspberry Pi)
Note - If you buy the preprogrammed kit you don't need to download this.
Note - If all you want is to add a reversing camera input then this is all the software you need.
Download and extract OpenELEC.img for Raspberry Pi (custom version of XBMC for Raspberry Pi)
Download skin.pm3-hd-bmw.zip DO NOT extract (Custom skin to match the display's resolution)
Download and extract win32diskimager
Download and install Paragon ExtFS for Windows (Allows Windows PC to read/write Ext formatted file systems)
Download and install Putty for Windows (Allows Windows PC to connect directly to the Raspberry Pi)
Note - you have to register to get a key for ExtFS, but they don't email bomb you.
Note - These 3 are NOT required for linux PCs.
Burn the ibus.hex file into the interface card (will be already done if you purchased a kit)
Run win32diskimager to install openelec onto your Raspberry Pi SD card (gets put into msdos formatted /System/)
(linux users can create, name and format the partitions, then use dd if=./openelec.img of=/dev/sdx but first find x!)
Put the SD card into the Raspberry Pi and connect the interface/Raspberry Pi to 12V (or the iBus) for 5 minutes.
On first run XBMC will create the directory system and configuration files it requires on /storage.
Disconnect the interface/Raspberry Pi and put the SD card back in the PC.
Run Paragon ExtFS for Windows (not required for linux) to add files to the Ext part of the SD card -
Copy the pibus-xxxxxxxx file onto the ext formatted part of the SD card (named /storage)
Copy pm3-hd.zip onto /storage (Note - do not unzip inner package)
Load some of your media content into /storage/xxx on the SD Card.
Note - while running /system is read-only and locked away, put all your config and media files on /storage
Note - ext file systems use a forward slash between directory names, not Windows style backslash.
Note - Windows file managers show disk names starting with upper case (even if they are lower case!), be sure to always type /storage with all lower case.
Connect your Raspberry Pi and PC to a network switch, then use putty from Windows to login (use ssh for linux).
User - root password - openelec address - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

edit (or create if not exits) with 'nano storage/.config/autostart.sh' then add this to the top of it -
#!/bin/sh
/storage/pibus &

The first line (above) creates a program space (called a SHell), the second points to and runs the pibus program in that shell and finally the '&' makes the program space move into the background so that other programs (like XBMC) can run too.

Make the pibus programes auto run with these commands -
chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh
chmod +x /storage/pibus

Be quick, the Pi will shut down after 5 minutes without IBus activity!
Connect the interface/Raspberry Pi to the iBus, amplifier and video module for testing.
After 20-30s (depends on speed of SD card) you will be able to select CDC.

The size of the writting on the screen is too small with the standard skin so you should use the 'Settings | System | Addon' menu in XBMC to load in the pm3-hd-bmw.zip. Use 'Settings | System | Video Output | Video Calibration' to adjust the skin to the correct screen size.

Try out your new media centre!
Note - not all media will play on the free version of openelec, you need to buy some codec keys!
You will need you Raspberry Pi's unique hardware ID in order to buy codec keys to match your Pi, so go to -
Settings | System | System Info | Hardware | serial - write down the 16 digit serial number.
Go to the http://www.raspberrypi.com/license-keys/ (purchase vc-1 & mpeg2 at least!)

Put the SD card in your PC. The /system partition is msdos formatted, so just edit /system/config.txt to add license keys for the codecs bought from www.raspberrypi.com
remove the # at the start of each codec ID and replace the '0x00000000' with the correct key.
Once the system is working properly redirect auto log writting by linking it to the null device (otherwise your SD card will fill up with the log and leave no operating space for any programs to run!) -
Connect your Raspberry Pi and PC to a network switch, then use putty to login (use ssh for linux).
User - root password - openelec address - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

cd /storage/
rm ibus.txt
ln -s /dev/null ibus.txt
reboot
To use putty (or ssh) you will need to know the network address of the Raspberry Pi. Connect to your ADSL or cable modem and view the LAN connections or use a network mapping program like Nmap to find it.
I used nmap 192.168.1.0/24 | quick scan before and after connecting the Raspberry Pi to see which address it got.
Other networks to try are 192.168.0.0/24 or 10.0.0.0/8
Run a USB extension cable from the Raspberry Pi to your glove box or centre console. XBMC will scan any device plugged in looking for pictures, music and videos, etc directories to add to its content. You may need a powered hub if you are using a hard disk for your media.
Plug a TV stick into the Raspberry Pi and run antennas to the rear windows. XBMC will pick up the live TV content.

Alternate startup method -
Delete the entry in /storage/.config/autostart.sh and use putty to run crontab 'crontab -e' and add this line -
@reboot /storage/pibus &

Want to show XBMC on additional screens? White plug pin 2 is extra video out (ground on pin 11)

My next post will show where I put my PiBus in my L322 Range Rover.

#257 ·
Hi All,

A great Installation tutorial from bgennette. :thumbsup:

PiBUS - Raspberry Pi in an IBus BMW

Run Paragon ExtFS for Windows (not required for linux) to add files to the Ext part of the SD card -
Copy the pibus-xxxxxxxx file onto the ext formatted part of the SD card (named /storage)
Copy pm3-hd.zip onto /storage (Note - do not unzip inner package)
Load some of your media content into /storage/xxx on the SD Card.
Note - while running /system is read-only and locked away, put all your config and media files on /storage
Note - ext file systems use a forward slash between directory names, not Windows style backslash.
Note - Windows file managers show disk names starting with upper case (even if they are lower case!), be sure to always type /storage with all lower case.
Just a little clarification here... Quoted above bgennette says "Copy the pibus-xxxxxxxx file onto the ext formatted part of the SD card (named /storage)"

Are you referring to the entire directory resulting from unzipping the pibus software?

I just copied the file "pibus" from the "rpi" folder to /storage which worked for me.

Just one more question to all...
Has any one tried using any of the available XBMC plugins for example the openbm plugin which allows XBMC to display BC info?

I don't see any reason why plugins shouldn't work I've just not had the time try yet.

#230 ·
Range Rover L322 Install

I put the circuits in the Valuables Cubby and used short runs into the AV Locker.

Vehicle Floor Car Auto part Trunk

The camera I/O runs into the spare wheel area then out the trailer wiring grommet to the camera.

Electronics Electrical wiring Wire Technology Electronic device

The splice joints are soldered and insulated. The AV connections are all done with RCA plugs and sockets (except for the 3.5mm audio plug).

A 5m long usb cable goes over the wheel arch inside the AV locker, under the floor plate across the back door, under the front seat to the centre console.

All neat and invisible.

I will be putting the circuits into a water proof box later on.

#235 ·
I just used a little ABS plastic case from jay car and left it open, the case is just to make it easier to mount to the changer bracket. Also has great big holes cut into it for the cables to poke through. It occasionally just loses connection to the ibus i think (ie. CDC is not selectable) so i might ditch it and go with something like what you've done above. Too much of a pain to get to cables in the case.

has anyone figured out a way to get gapless playback working in openelec?

#236 ·
Hi all,
First time posting here ... apologies for not introducing myself sooner. I've just built Peter's latest iteration of the board and are experiencing similar issues to some of the others.

With the CD changer replaced by the pibus, the unit identifies "TR04 CD1" when cycling modes but does not switch video. (Without pibus connected, the unit just cycles through radio and CD)

With the -b flag removed from autostart.sh, I can manually switch video using the phone button, but the xbmc is unresponsive to key presses (or rotary dial action).

The ibus logfile suggests that commands are being seen (as does the video switching with the phone button). I assume that because the Mode button is able to see "TR04 CD1" once the pibus board is connected, messages are being sent on the ibus by the pibus board or by the RPi (not sure which is responsible).

If I had to guess, it was almost as though the pibus/RPi was not recognising the commands that were being sent for the CD Changer.

Any ideas? Is there anything specific in the log I can check?

Mike

#238 ·
It is not showing "CDC", it is showing "CD" when the pibus is not connected. I assume this is the slot loading CD in the head unit.

With CD changer connected, Mode cycles through Radio, "No Discs" (changer) and "No CD" (head unit CD).

Without CD changer connected, Mode cycles through Radio, and "No CD" (head unit CD).

With pibus connected Mode cycles through Radio, "TR04 CD1" (pibus spoof of changer?) and "No CD" (head unit CD).

#240 ·
Yes, mine has changer in the boot (model 6512 6977766-03) and a slot load CD under a flip down screen on the head unit.

The head unit looks different to the one in an earlier post by Peter too.
Mine looks more like this one:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15905785

Assuming it is the text string that is the problem, is it the microcontroller that handles it or the SW running on the Pi? If it is the Pi, then hopefully it's just a simple code change and remake. If it's running on the micro then I don't think I have the technology to build and reprogram :hmm:

#241 ·
I am not sure if it is in the RPi-software or the microcontroller, but looking at "ibus.c" in the pibus/rpi directory, it could be in the Linux software.
Line 335 says: "{20,"\x68\x12\x3b\x23\x62\x10\x43\x44\x43\x20\x31\x2d\x30\x34\x20\x20\x20\x20\x20\x4c", "CDC 1-04", NULL, 0, cdchanger_handle_cdcmode}".

But I would wait for PeteAU to confirm that.
As he wrote in an earlier post: there are 5$ Microcontroller programmers from Hong Kong on eBay, so even if it was a microcontroller thing you could change it, I guess.

#243 ·
There is code in both the Pi & ATtiny that looks for the CD-changer strings:
- The Pi uses this to switch "keyboard focus".
- The ATtiny uses this to switch the video signal.

It's possible onefifty370 has a different model radio we haven't seen yet, that has a slightly different string. If that turns out to be the case, it's not a total disaster, you can get a $3 programmer off ebay and change the code - I'll show you how if need be.

At the moment it looks for two possible strings:

1. \x68\x12\x3b\x23\x62\x10\x43\x44\x43\x20\x31\x2d\x30\x34\x20\x20\x20\x20\x20\x4c - "CDC 1-04"
2. \x68\x0e\x3b\x23\x62\x10\x54\x52\x20\x30\x34\x20 - "TR 04"

The second one was added by an M3 owner in Europe, my car doesn't use that one, and it seems to be a rare variant.

onefifty370: EMail me your ibus.txt log file and we can see if your car behaves differently or not.

#242 ·
Thanks Mopinski. Found that too. Note there is also a defined message containing TR 04" directly after the "CDC 1-04" message. I'm still trying to get my head around their usage. Hopefully Pete can chime in since he knows the code best.
Just downloaded the ibus.txt log and are going to try searching for equivalent messages.

#245 ·
Do you have to buy a new microcontroller or can you reprogram it? If you can reprogram it, do you have to unsolder it or could you do it without having to do some "manual labour"?

I'm asking because I am not very handy with a soldering iron but still want to get the "no video playback while driving"-project done somehow. ;)

#246 ·
Thanks all. Had a quick look through the ibus log. Definitely no messages containing the string CDC, and the whilst it contains a message with TR 04, it looks considerably different to that defined in ibus.c. Mine is a late 05 build M3, so yes consistent with your thoughts ccfj1.

Have just emailed ibus.txt to you PeteAU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.