E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Driving lights improvement?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #10
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
I looked at the available xenon kit that's offered by them and others, and it appears that it's nothing more than a xenon bulb in the same halogen reflector, which is going to put out all kinds of light but scatter it everywhere making other drivers hate you.

I tried some Euro Hella 100W 9006 halogen bulbs and they didn't seem to be that different shining against my garage door when I did a side-by-side comparison, but they're surprisingly a good bit better on the road. I was pretty impressed when I turned them on during my commute the next morning.

I've got a $30 set of LED bulbs that are built on a cylindrical platform rather than the flat, two-sided, one that many of the others use, so may be close enough to the halogen beam pattern to be more like what I'm after. Going to install them this weekend and I'll report back.
Pros - Bright, and much whiter light, much better match to the color of the xenons.

Con - The beam pattern is utter crap. Light just scattered everywhere. This is why other drivers hate people who do swaps like this with their headlights.

I'd had my doubts about the blade like, two sided, LEDs but as the folks who made the video above favor that design I guess I'll give some of those a try next.

Last edited by VpointVick; 12-15-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: speeling
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote