E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Bad axles metalic tinging noise
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
glacierXI

My Ride: 330Xi
no they were gnk oem axles the previous owner had them done around 90k I bought the car at 110k.

I noticed this side was ripped at 120k after I had replaced the other side and didnt want to do that job again.

So I drove on ripped boots for 30k till it started making this funny tinging. I knew they were bad but I didnt want to sink money into the car if it was a bigger issue luckily it was just the axle. I never noticed any vibrations or clicking noise just the tinging after 30k miles and like 3 years of driving. It was weird it made the noise going straight not even when I was turning like a typical axle would. And that was only after i change to stupid heavy runflats I got on craigslist. I actually surprised how long they went with ripped boots. Honestly if money's tight just ride them like I did and listen for noises.

Im going to start spraying 303 uv protectant on them hope they last a long time. The job went smoothly this time I think I can do it in 2 hours now.

Get the gnk from fcp and be done with it lifetime warranty. Or if you havent been riding with ripped boots long you can replace the boots way cheaper. I actually tried to do that on my other side but someone put a shitty axle on my passenger side so the boots didn't fit. I had it all disassembled cleaned and ready to go. It wasn't hard taking the apart the axle either.

Make sure you get a new axle diff seal and a strut bolt too.

spray your strut bolt with penetration fluid like now lol then a few times the week before. Mine was stuck had to work it for a few days would hate if that broke.

Getting the axle out can be a bitch theres a good trick where you clamp a vice grip onto it and use a slide hammer. simple easy fast.

Pounding the axle seal in get a pvc pipe that fits the seal I believe a 2 inch coupler is what most people use.

Last edited by glacierXI; 04-15-2019 at 05:28 PM.
glacierXI is offline   Reply With Quote