E46Fanatics - View Single Post - E46 COOLING SYSTEM GUIDE - overheating/coolant/etc
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
+1

Great story. How many miles on the rebuilt head? Glad to see its doing well to this day. And yes, age will also kill plastics. A lot of people come on here saying their E46 has 50k miles and thus needs no cooling maintenance. Nothing could be further from the truth.
So far around 3k

I was really paranoid so I had a compression and leakdown test and compression was solid across the board around 180-190 cold and leakdown zero on all cylinders except two that were at 1%. Solid as a rock now. The PO is an enthusiast and he had BMW certified techs doing the repair, so it was done right thankfully. They even went so far as to time-sert the block in case the aluminum threads had weakened from the heat and addressed vanos as well while in there.

Cooling system also looks to have been done right. I was given the order sheet from Pelican with every part replaced and it seems to be doing its job well.

It's not a death sentence, but it's definitely an expensive repair. I just went through and looked at his cooling system overhaul parts bill and it was 900, so you've clearly put together a very cost effective means of addressing it.