E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Question about replacing my cv axle boots (front, XI)
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2019, 11:00 PM   #27
christospap

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Year: 2005
Model: 330xi
Transmission: manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
I just did the drivers side axle for a friend and although I used to drop the knuckle off the strut, I dropped the control arm at the outer ball joint with my HF ball joint tool. We were putting things back together after about 40 minutes. I have no desire to break the pinch bolt in the knuckle and have to drill it out. The ball joint was less than a year old and with a little patience it came apart. I have an Earthquake 3/8" impact that hasn't had a problem with the axle nuts.
Is it enough to separate the ball joint from the knuckle? I have not tried it this way since separating the strut from the knuckle works so well for me. I still have to separate the tie rod from the knuckle so if your method only needs to separate the outer ball joint from the knuckle then that's theoretically better.

You are of course right about going the least risky route. I had no trouble separating the strut in two different cars, but one should assess each situation individually. I also like to remove the bolt from the strut so I can put anti-seize on it for future repairs.

Chris.
christospap is offline   Reply With Quote