E46Fanatics - View Single Post - Calorie counting
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
Counting is definetly eye opening. I use a scanner app also. I am just so stupid on nutrition. I dont even understand how you can eat 2800 calories and not get fat. It is the nutritional value of those calories? Or do you just work out so enough to offset them/
Have you used this yet to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)?

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Everyone should know their maintenance level, all nutrition programs are based off it. Mine, at 24 yrs old, 6' and 170 lbs is 1800 calories a day (BMR), but I also exercise 5-6 days a week, which can burn anywhere from 250-750 calories depending on the activity. You also burn calories just by doing ordinary stuff (I work a desk job so I don't account for much extra). I usually assume I need around 2200 calories on any given day for maintaining.

If I ate 2800 calories (I aim for 2800-3200 right now) and wasn't lifting weights, I would gain fat. Law of thermodynamics and conservation of energy. But when the body is put under stress (weightlifting) and is given the tools to grow (calorie surplus made up of proper nutrients) then the majority of the excess calories are used up in growing the body to adapt to future stress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote