View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
El Valluco

My Ride: E46
Year: 2000
Model: 323ci
Coolant level question for new-to-me 330ci

Coolant level question for new-to-me 330ci

Hey guys, just got my first E46 and am totally stoked about it. Itís a beautiful 2000 323ci w/ 176k miles.

I recently checked the coolant level and the red float stick was all the way down (not floating at all/wonít move if you push down on it, about 2.5Ē down from the rim). Shined a light down there and could see the floater wet & sitting in a little bit of water. Called the PO (an acquaintance) and he told me if there was no indicator light on the dash, not to worry about it. Sounded odd to me but he had the car for 12 years and put the last 127,000 miles on it, so I figured he knows what heís talking about. Iíve even been driving it around a little (no highways) and the temp gauge never passes 12 oíclock.

I should add that the PO had the radiator, expansion tank, water pump and heater hose replaced, already (donít know how many miles ago) and that the car has Pentofrost NF coolant (and I just picked up a bottle).

So, the thing is, I live in NY and itís about to start dipping into freezing temps and his ďdonít worry about itĒ isnít enough to let me sleep at night, anymore, so now Iím coming to you guys.

So, is he right? No dash light, no problem? Is it normal for the indicator stick to not float at all? If it does need coolant, can I just ďtop it offĒ using Mangoís bleed method?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Pics attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171121_190810.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	703193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171121_185712.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	703201