E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DO I really need 4 new tires?

3K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  biglittledog 
#1 ·
a year or two ago I replaced my back two tires after getting a flat. I was advised that with the amount of wear on the fronts it wouldn't create a problem with the all wheel drive. I would like to replace the other two tires now but Michelin has updated the tread pattern for the "energy" model (which I believe is the stock style for this car) and doesn't make exactly what I have any more. There is 8/32" of tread left on the ones I recently replaced.

Do I need to replace all four tires here or can I do just the two. Bottom line I cannot stand to just throw money and good tires out like that. The guy at the store said they aren't allowed to do just the two but of course their are ways around that for me.

#2 · (Edited)
I guess this is driven by the frustrating fact that after this thing hit 121000 miles it has just been a ticking time bomb it seems like every other day some stupid little thing shows up like a rust spot or interior pieces falling apart. Stupid vibrations at idle, rortors warping, etc. I'm getting rid of the car cause I cannot keep up with this **** as fast as it is breaking. If the car was in primo condition I would throw some tires on it but its become a thorn in my side. Nobody is gonna pay more for a bmw that has new tires but a ****ing quarter sized rust spot on the side of the door. I have spent plenty of money and time keeping up on all of the preventative maintenance and following the advice of people on here. The stuff that is causing issues for the most part are things that these pm's wouldn't help. I need a reliable car that isn't going to deteriorate like this and be needy so I'm throwing in the towel.

Also what annoys me about it is that with the age of this car I can get a transfer case for less than on of these tires. So I'd essentially be paying two times the cost of a transfer case to protect it against what I see as an unlikely shot that the different tread pattern may cause unnecessary wear on said transfer case.

#3 ·
I enjoyed the fact that in 4 minutes you went from asking about 2 or 4 tires to deciding you are dumping this POS car before breakfast is finished!

I personally wouldn't worry about a "different tread pattern" affecting the transfer case? I don't get that. Wheels all roll and I can't imagine that differences in tread pattern change that fact.

As for the other issues, please call in MANGO as he will set you straight. MANGO where are you?

[This is where Mango tells you that you are unfit to own a BMW and after slapping you in the face with his glove, he takes your keys, swiftly turns 180 degrees on his heel, and walks out of your home to take your poor neglected E46 to his neverland ranch where he will fix it up, take care of it and give it the life that it deserves]

#5 · (Edited)
Part of the problem is that different tires are made differently. For example, I have 205/50/17's all around, however, the Goodyear's in the back are actually half an inch taller in overall diameter than the Dunlop's on the front. It's not really about the tread pattern, it's about the different tires possibly having a slightly different rolling circumference plus the difference in the tread depths could possibly (MAYBE) cause an issue with your transfer case.

#6 · (Edited)
Haha well dare I say it but it turns out there is a really good supply of my exact same tire with the exact same wear on ebay for around $70 shipped. So that's how I am going to replace these two that are worn out. T hat will actually be the best way imo because i will have the same amount of wear on all 4 then. Like I said I have really been pretty diligent to keep up on pm's and the like but when things start breaking faster than you can fix them your kinda stuck. The annoying vibrations were a hassle but could be fixed, this rust **** is to much, Pretty much once I started noticing this rust about a month ago I decided this car has gotta go.

I am not driving around a rusty car and I am not going to spend 70% of a cars current value to fix little rust spots.

^To your post the tires I would have been getting are an update to the michelin energy plus mxv4 which are michelin energy plus mxm4. I am told they shanged the tread and the chemistry of the rubber some to improve life. My guess is they prly would be a very close match but i will never know cause I'm gonna go with used.

#7 ·
Do I need to replace all four tires here or can I do just the two. Bottom line I cannot stand to just throw money and good tires out like that. The guy at the store said they aren't allowed to do just the two but of course their are ways around that for me.
You should be fine with replacing two, especially if the others have 8/32nd's of tread left. Always make sure that the axles match though.

#8 ·
That's what I would do too, especially if you are considering selling the car, why waste the money on new tires. As for them both being Michelin tires... my issue with the Goodyear vs Dunlop.... well Goodyear makes Dunlop tires, so you would think that their sizing would be consistent across the board, but you would be (as I was) wrong, lol.

#13 · (Edited)
^That is what the car came stock with bro. Its a 325xi its not a sports car. The tires have never cut loose on me, handle good in all weather, they have worn very well for having 80k on them, and I have no complaints on the ride. I'm not buying fancy tires for a grocery getter, who are you guys fooling. Somebody needs to get some real toys.

#15 ·
I'm not saying that there aren't better tires out there, I'm saying these serve the purpose I need them to just fine and I have no desire to drop $800 to get a better riding tire. Like I said this is a 325xi and I use this car to commute and essentially "get groceries." There is absolutely no reason for me to put anything better on it.

#19 ·
What do YOU do with your THREE TWENTY FIVE XI.....only track racing? Pikes Peak Challenge? Seriously people need to get over the whole "Ultimate Driving Machine" thing. I think what the OP should have said was "daily driver" since "grocery getter" invites lots of scoffs, but really what do people do with these cars?

I love my 325xi although to be honest my wife mostly drives it to work, 3 miles away. I take the train to work. Its average speed per the computer is 19 mph. Fun car and do I enjoy those times when we do get out on the highway? Sure. But I'd venture to guess more E46s are doing DD duty out there than whatever "dude its a BMW!!!!" usage people think about on here.

#18 ·
I said "grocery getter" which is synonomous with being a commuter / dd vehicle not intended for sporty driving. I have sandrail and a crotch rocket for toys on the road and plenty others for the sea and sky I really don't understand why you guys are so bent confused by the fact that a 325xi is not a ports car. If bmw built the 325xi intending it to be a sports car I am very dissapointed in them.

#20 ·
I get the grocery getting thing and I'm not telling people to buy sticky track tires, slicks, or drag tires. Getting good tires is one of the best performance and SAFETY things you can do for your car and for yourself. Get something good now and don't regret it later.

Remember, anything and everything you do to your car is in an effort to make your tires spin faster, stop harder, stick better, and turn faster. You can mount a 1000hp engine, 20in 12 piston brakes, and super stiff suspension but none of that will do sh!t unless you have the tires to make it all useful.

#21 · (Edited)
^Hey I here you on that but all I am saying is this is a DD and is clearly not a sports car. Michelin makes the best tires on the road. This car came stock with them and if you think so highly of BMW you should also respect their tire choice. Every tire shop I have ever been to highly recommends these tires. When I first had a flat and went to the dealer I asked what the best all around tire for this car would be and every tech in their did not hesitate to agree that this was my best choice at the time (2.5 years ago). I am a big fan of running the best tires you can and for me these are them. They fit they driving I do and I have never accidentally cut loose (I try sometimes in a safe situation). Safety, ride comfort, and reliability are my main factors and these have that for me. There not sports tires but its not a sports car. I am not trying to argue here but I would like it to go down in the record, for future readers, that these tires are a great fit for a 325xi.

I got my two used tires mounted and balanced and am very pleased with the drive once again it took car off some vibration issues that were annoying the **** out of me.

#22 · (Edited)
:facepalm:

Whoever at the dealership told you these tires are the best for your car was either trying to sell you stuff or needs to get fired.

Tire Rack Data:
Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 - 3/5 star rating, 6.5/10 consumer reviews, 4.3/10 would buy again, 4.6/10 in the snow, $142.00 per tire.

Here's a quick comparison of other tires in the same class (all seasons that is):
Continental Pure Contact EcoPlus - 4.5/5 star rating, 9/10 consumer reviews, 8.7/10 would buy again, 8.5/10 in the snow, $108 per tire.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus - 4.5/5 star rating, 8.6/10 consumer reviews, 8.0/10 would buy again, 7.6/10 in the snow, $108 per tire.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS (I personally have these) - 4/5 star rating, 8.3/10 consumer reviews, 7.8/10 would buy again, 7.7/10 in the snow, $117 per tire.

Michelin Pilot Exalto - 4/5 star rating, 8.3/10 consumer reviews, 8.1/10 would buy again, 7.3/10 in the snow, $119 per tire.

Goodyear Eagle F1 - 4/5 star rating, 8.3/10 consumer reviews, 9.0/10 would buy again, 6.7/10 in the snow, $108 per tire.

So...tell me again why you want the Energy tires when there are so many other better, cheaper, higher performing, and easier to come by tires in the market today?

Again, I'm not telling you to get racing slicks, just get the best tires on the market today for your purposes and even for your "grocery getter" the Energy tires are not the best at really anything.

FWIW, I don't think all that highly of BMW and I've said it publicly on many occasions. I wouldn't hesitate to offload my 330xi as soon as I find a good deal on something else that's better, faster, and more reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.