E46Fanatics - View Single Post - DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 04:30 AM   #205
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopinsky View Post
Hi,

I just bought the already assembled PIBUS via eBay and can't wait to try it out. I guess it will take some time for it to arrive in Germany though but in the meantime I can buy a Raspberry Pi and play around with it.

Just one simple question (hopefully): Does the car send an IBUS message when the handbrake is applied?
The reason is: in Germany you aren't allowed to watch movies while driving so my idea was: When the handbrake is applied: tell XBMC to pause the movie (if there's one running) or change to MP3s when in motion.

[edit]Since my car has an automatic transmission it would, perhaps, also be possible to only allow video playback when in "P" (and not in "R", "N" or "D").[/edit]

Also: is it better / faster to store data like MP3s / Videos on the same SD-Card as the operating system or should you use a USB drive for that?

And before I forget it: for the great work!
There is a message that contains a handbrake ON/OFF bit, but there's no software to do anything with it. You'd be better off using the 'vehicle driving' bit, which is what the factory TV uses.

Code:
80 0A BF 13 XX XX XX XX XX XX XX CS

DB 1 xxxxxxxx
       || |||- Handbrake On
       || ||-- Oil Pressure Low
       || |--- Brake Pads Worn
       ||----- Transmission Emergency Program
       |-------Not In Park

DB 2 xxxxxxxx
          |||- Motor Running
          ||-- Vehicle Driving
          |--- Reverse Not Plausible