E46Fanatics - View Single Post - M54 Oil pump nut warning.
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
All,

I've been tearing down my engine for a complete rebuild this past week. Today when I went to remove the oil pump, I found the oil pump nut loose. I touched it with my finger and it spun!

I don't know how long it has been like this, but it sent a shiver down my neck. If I hadn't decided to rebuild my engine, I may not have checked the oil pump nut, and I'm fairly certain the sprocket would have come off. This would result in a total loss of oil pressure, and as a result, my engine would get toasted.

For those of you that race your car, and use an increased engine RPM limit like the Shark Injector provides, beware. My engine at the time of tear down had about 70k miles.
I think it's a common problem for tricked out e46's... I know that on high revving e36's there's been cases where the pump just completely flew off....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 328i - Custom Turbo tuned by AA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote