E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Useful tips for changing FUEL FILTER

75K views 70 replies 51 participants last post by  jeepo23 
#1 ·
Changing the fuel filter is very straight forward. It is extremely easy. Follow the numerous DIY on this board regarding changing the OEM fuel filter.

Here are some tips that you might find useful.

1) The fuel filter is located directly underneath the driver seat on the under carriage of the car.

2) There are two ends on the fuel filter. The IN put is toward the gas tank. The OUT put is toward the front of the car. There is an arrow painted on the fuel filter. Just make sure the arrow is pointing toward the front and you will be OKAY.

3) There is a shield protecting the fuel filter from getting all banged up. Use 8mm socket to remove the nuts.

4) After removing the shield, the fuel filter is secured by a bracket. Use a 10mm socket to remove it.

5) The hose are secure by a bunch of clamps. Use a "flat top" screw driver to loosen the clamps. To tighten the clamps use a 7/32 socket or a pair of plier. You CANNOT tigten the clamps with a flat top screw driver.

6) Remove the rubber hose by wedging a screw driver on the rubber hose while pulling and twisting the fuel filter.

7) Be prepare to have lots and lots of fuel leakage. Clean fuel immediately. FUel will evaporate faster when smear around rather than sitting in a puddle.

SAFETY TIPS

1) Change fuel filter only in well ventilated area. I was changing my fuel filter outside and yet I still feel sick.

2) Have a fire extinguisher ready in case. Would you rather take the time to buy or find a fire extinguisher than have your car destroy or blow up?

3) When removing the fuel line or when fuel are leaking out, make sure you priodically ground yourself from static electricity. Just touch all the metal/steal components underneath your car every two-three minutes or so.

See less See more
#65 ·
I just changed my filter about one month ago and a significant amount of sand came out and the gasoline looked like Pepsi:hmm:

All my driveability issues have been resolved and the car accelerates like new immediately after the change. Before, I had minor hesitation and under WOT, the car just did not feel as it did when new.

#66 ·
I replaced my fuel filter today. Here is my contribution to the body of knowledge.

1. Getting the old fuel hoses off is a royal pain. It's not worth it. Slice the hose with a razor blade and replace it with new hose. About 1 foot of 5/16 fuel hose is plenty for the three pieces of hose to connect to the fuel lines. Likewise, get new hose clamps as well, much easier to deal with new hardware.
2. The blue fuel line coming from the rear is the return. Fuel spilled freely from it and would not stop. I cut short piece of fuel hose, put it on the return line and clamped it with a small vice grip. That worked well.
3. If you attach the blue fuel line to the "in" nipple on the filter, the car will not start. Ask me how I know.
4. Be careful with the small hose going to the front of the filter, it is brittle and can easily be damaged.

#67 · (Edited)
I just did mine today after work. Here's my 2 cents:

1) Took me about an hour and half. Not a real easy job but not super hard either. Because of the filter's location you have to raise the vehicle quite a bit and even then access is tedious. This job would be so much easier if done on a lift.

2) I did not have to remove a fuse because I let the car sit over night. By then the pressure had leaked down.

3) I used a golf tee to quickly plug the inboard gas line from the tank that flows freely. Gas spillage was minimal.

4) Put my lawn mower gas can with funnel under to catch what did come out. Probably 8 ounces or so.

5) I completely removed the shield. It took a 8 mm socket to remove all 5 bolts. It was not that hard to locate and remove the front two bolts.

6) I removed the foam piece. It put the small plastic line into the hold down next to the gas line and put a rubber bumper on it at a specific location so it could not vibrate or wear.

#71 ·
So I ordered a Kayser from FCPeuro.. and as shown in their image the the thing has a rubber sleeve on it.

The filter they sent me does not..

How important is this sleeve? Can mine be re-used?

I do not know why I order from these guys anymore.. every order is a f****** screw up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.