E46Fanatics - View Single Post - E46 316i 1.8 M-Sport 1 winterbeater. Fresh winter pics #188
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 05:29 AM   #169
Antti

My Ride: 330CI / 316 1.8i
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI M-Sport II
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2708 View Post
Just read the full thread, I love your dedication, and the paint finish is amazing! I was a bit shocked to see the rot on the sills with the rest of the bodywork looking so clean. I'd probably keep mine in the same condition if I had a garage! As it is it stands outside all year round getting frozen in the winter and baked in the summer.

One thing I've found useful as a rust repellent (I have a Classic Mini which rust as soon as it rains!) is a product called ACF50, It's from the States, all the bikers use it here in the UK. It's like an oily substance that soaks in to everything. It was developed for aircraft and it has worked wonders on both the Mini and the BMW. Come spring, just wash the oily residue off and re-apply next winter.
Hello
Yes, i was quite amazed when i took sill plastics off.
My father, first owner drove lot in gravel roads.
He was working in forest industry. Maybe pick up would be better car for him..
There was no mud flaps installed never. I think because of that, there was lot of dirt, sand and small rocks inside sill plastics. With moisture that sand / dirt caused corrosion problems.
Car was washed, maybe 6-7 times/year, not so often in wintertime. when it was my father ownership.
It was regular daily driver. Car was parked outside 2005-2017.

I do not drive gravel roads at all. I dont have to.
I will check under sill plastics every summer how things are going there.
Salt is now the worst enemy for this car, i try to avoid driving in highways if there is wet weather in wintertime.
I wash once/week with hot water.

Today is time to change manual gearbox oil, lets hope cold stifness is sorted with genuine oil:

BMW E46 316 1.8i Sport 2005 Mysticblau metallic /Showroom
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Renault Clio RS197 2007 Ultra Red

Last edited by Antti; 12-07-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote