Gm5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Twenza
Account Under Review

My Ride: mile high club
Gm5

Ok, before i start getting flamed and stuff,

my central locking has had issues for a while, I would press the unlock button on my key, it would do nothing, and my alarm would go off, since its in the colder time of year in AUS its stopped bein a *****....

Ive come to the conclusion that it is the GM5, just from research on here, what i want to know is, has anybody done the fix themselves? Is thier a fix to it? Or is the new Chips the way to go?...

Is thier a way to find out deffinately if it is the GM5?
Twenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Yes, it's your GM5 causing the door lock issues. Yes, I have done the fix myself. Of course I have the correct de-soldering equipment, but, it's still tricky to not damage the plated through holes on the board.

>> Or is the new Chips the way to go?
HUH?

Based on your cars year, # of doors and your description of the problem, it is definately your GM5!

Last edited by scottjoh; 08-15-2010 at 10:23 AM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
rrgcsfb

My Ride: 2002 330Cic
Did relay swap today

First off - props to scottjoh for researching the GM5 issues and providing us with a source for the relays and an informative website.

I just replaced ALL relays on the GM5 module. The windows were getting slow/straining which I attributed to the relay contacts getting fouled. The windows are much smoother and quicker now. Removing the relays is a huge PITA and the board can be easily damaged. I've got 15 years soldering under my belt, and had to do a bit of post surgery rework to fix a couple bad traces damaged during the removal process.

I can't stress enough that you need the right tools for this job, or ship your GM5 to scottjoh for repair.

RRG
rrgcsfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
+1 for the quality of scottjoh's repair service. Scott, do you ever post on anything non-GM5-related? I only seem to see your handle pop up in these types of threads.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
get one from a junkyard. they don't go bad that often.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Scottjoh is the GM5 man!!!

The relays are most likely the cause, however, also make sure you have a good battery as well as I had some door lock issues due to a battery with a bad cell and it turned out there was no GM5 issue on that specific car.

As far as repairing the board yourself, I was able to remove the board, replace the doorlock relays, reinstall the module and test drive the car in about 1 1/2 hours. Took my time and was chatting with some friends during the process.

Now that being said, most of the time was spent removing the relays. This is no job for an amateur. I have about 30 years of soldering on and off as well as surface mount experience. Technically I do not have the "proper" equipment, but I was able to make due with my equipment, but I had to be careful. Luckily I did not have any through hole issues or circuit board damage, but this is probably due to all the work I have done in the past.

If you search my user name, you will see I posted some info on my GM5 repair.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
listen to scott.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg323 View Post
Scott, do you ever post on anything non-GM5-related? I only seem to see your handle pop up in these types of threads.
Occasionally I do. I only post on threads where I can make a positive contribution (Ok, there was one thread that I was a smart a$$). Since I have been so immersed with GM5 issues and functions in the last 2+ years that is mainly what I post on. There are also some K-bus issues and other electrical issues that I post on as well, but, mainly anything GM5 related. I don't feel that I need to post in every single thread like some.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansanderson View Post
get one from a junkyard. they don't go bad that often.
There is a junk yard down in San Diego that has been a regular customer for relays. He was telling my that if the module came from a high mileage car more often than not the module would come back. He now replaces the door lock relays.

Also junkyard modules will most likely need to be reprogrammed by a service shop/dealer to work 100% correct with your cars year, body style and options. Stealers will charge 1 hour labor or about a $120 to reprogram. Repairing your cars module will not require reprogramming. Replacing the relays will not affect the programming in any way.

Last edited by scottjoh; 09-12-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
Occasionally I do. I only post on threads where I can make a positive contribution (Ok, there was one thread that I was a smart a$$). Since I have been so immersed with GM5 issues and functions in the last 2+ years that is mainly what I post on. There are also some K-bus issues and other electrical issues that I post on as well, but, mainly anything GM5 related. I don't feel that I need to post in every single thread like some.
Well you're like our in-house GM5 expert. We all definitely appreciate you chiming in on these matters. I, myself, benefited from your repair, so I'm always glad to put in a good word for you when I see these threads.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
matwags

My Ride: 330i SP, 330Ci ZHP
Scott repaired my GM5 relay for me. I mailed the relay to him last Wednesday, and today it was back in my car. My car is now working perfectly. The relay came back wrapped in static free plastic and bubble wrap (better packed than I sent him). I would recommend his service to anyone experiencing GM5 issues. It saved me hundreds of dollars.
matwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #12
Fordy1981

My Ride: 323 convertible
Gm5

Hi, I had the intermittent lock unlock problem, went to stealership bought new key still no joy,realised it was the Gm5 module, I found that if you cut a 1mm hole in the corner of the bed relays and spray a little electrical contact cleaner in and tape up the holes, it works 100% every time now, no need for tricky soldering or module replacement.
Fordy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #13
Davconelectric

My Ride: 2 dog powered sled
I have a spare sitting here in melbourne, It's in perfect working order
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
scottjoh
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy1981 View Post
Hi, I had the intermittent lock unlock problem, went to stealership bought new key still no joy,realised it was the Gm5 module, I found that if you cut a 1mm hole in the corner of the bed relays and spray a little electrical contact cleaner in and tape up the holes, it works 100% every time now, no need for tricky soldering or module replacement.
I guarantee it won't work for long. I got one in for repair the other day where the owner did that very thing. Now why would he send it in if he already tried the contact cleaner trick you describe.

Last edited by scottjoh; 03-15-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
I guarantee it won't work for long. I got one in for repair the other day where the owner did that very thing. Now why would he send it in if he already tried the contact cleaner trick you describe.
I'm with you Scott.
I did the similar thing few years ago and turned out that I still had to buy 2 relays from you at the end and replaced them myself.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Fordy1981

My Ride: 323 convertible
Gm5

Maybe it won't. Hopefully it will lol. I've got 2 tyco relays at the ready just in case! Didn't want to go down that route as I've heard it'sa really tricky job .
Fordy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 AM   #17
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
This thread is pretty dated, but here it goes.

The center column door lock on my 05 325iT only works intermittently. I've got to push it multiple times for it to unlock and it often won't unlock when the car is running. Doors will unlock with the key fob without problem. I haven't noticed any problems with windows or anything else. My initial thought was that the door lock switch may be corroded from spilled coffee. Do you suppose it could be a GM5 relay?