DME Connections & EML/DSC/BRAKE "Amber Trio" - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #21
PabloCruise

My Ride: 2002 325i
Year: 2002
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post

As for Free Shipping, sometimes if parts are not in stock, the ship date is a long lead time or the vendor uses the most cost effective shipping method which may be slow boat.
That makes sense. I think I will check the local dealer today at lunch and see how bad the damage ($$$) is.
PabloCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #22
PabloCruise

Quote:
Not sure you understand what is going to happen.

As for Free Shipping, sometimes if parts are not in stock, the ship date is a long lead time or the vendor uses the most cost effective shipping method which may be slow boat.
Now I KNOW I do not understand!

I got the amber trio a few times yesterday, so last night I decided I would take a look at my connectors at the DME and at the exhaust cam position sensor...

DRY. Dry as a bone. Both of them.

Interesting.

On a related note, when I contacted FCP Euro about modifying shipping or cancelling the order they said I should have it by Friday, it had already shipped. Okay!

So weekend plans include switching out the exhaust camshaft position sensor and inspecting the harness connector at the DME.

Then I think I will (in separate events) disconnect the throttle position sensors at the pedal and at the throttle body and see what codes I get.

Fun, fun...
Old 05-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #23
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Now I KNOW I do not understand!

I got the amber trio a few times yesterday, so last night I decided I would take a look at my connectors at the DME and at the exhaust cam position sensor...

DRY. Dry as a bone. Both of them.

Interesting.
A few things, are you tracking/Logging the codes you are getting. EVERY time the SES or other error lights come on you need to read codes, get Freeze Frame data and SAVE the info with the Date and Mileage. This is critical so you can build the story about what is going on.

While you may have found the connections "Bone Dry" this does not tell the entire story. The DME could have oil contamination INSIDE. While not likely the oil could have traveled to the pedal position sensors connector or throttle position sensor or the throttle motor. Careful inspection of these other connectors is suggested.

Given you may have ongoing problem, you may need to get the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 software and cable so you can look closer at the ABS and Throttle control system. This would allow you to see any errors related to the ABS and Throttle control system.

Fuel pump failures -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Temp Info -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level -

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info -

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #24
PabloCruise

Quote:
A few things, are you tracking/Logging the codes you are getting. EVERY time the SES or other error lights come on you need to read codes, get Freeze Frame data and SAVE the info with the Date and Mileage. This is critical so you can build the story about what is going on.

While you may have found the connections "Bone Dry" this does not tell the entire story. The DME could have oil contamination INSIDE. While not likely the oil could have traveled to the pedal position sensors connector or throttle position sensor or the throttle motor. Careful inspection of these other connectors is suggested.

Given you may have ongoing problem, you may need to get the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 software and cable so you can look closer at the ABS and Throttle control system. This would allow you to see any errors related to the ABS and Throttle control system.
The lights have come on too often to plug in every time.

When I do check, the trouble code is always P0221.

I sent you the first diagnostic report after cleaning the DME connector.

I agree, the DME could have contamination inside. I think at this point it is likely that the contact cleaner I have sprayed on that socket would have infiltrated as well and probably broken up any oil that may have migrated in. Obviously, there is no substitute for making a visual. Is it any big deal to open up the DME?

Just a hunch, but I feel like my commute to work may be too short to charge the battery. No data, but after my exploration into the harness connectors last night, the very last thing I did was decide to throw the charger on the battery. I had not done so since last weekend. The sweep gauge ran up to 6 amps. I live all of about 7 miles/15 minutes from work. I know when the climate control is set to Auto, it cranks the blower up pretty high right after start-up. I also had one of those phone chargers in the lighter with the LED light. My lighter is live all the, so the LED is on all the time. I don't have any data. I did not take a voltage reading at the battery last night. Just thinking out loud.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #25
jfoj
OEM ///Member

You need to open the DME, it is not that hard as I recall. If you sprayed contact cleaner into the connector with the connector facing up, all you did was rinse and spread more oil inside the DME.

Also not 100% that the contact clear will cut the oil like brake cleaner.

You should keep the OBDII interface in the console or glovebox and connect it up when the lights come on. The problem is a generic OBDII tool WILL NOT communicate with the ABS or other modules.

You can also connect the tool up for each drive and it will Log when hopefully the problem occurs, the OBDII App will also Log the charging Voltage.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 05-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #26
PabloCruise

Quote:
You need to open the DME, it is not that hard as I recall. If you sprayed contact cleaner into the connector with the connector facing up, all you did was rinse and spread more oil inside the DME.

Also not 100% that the contact clear will cut the oil like brake cleaner.

You should keep the OBDII interface in the console or glovebox and connect it up when the lights come on. The problem is a generic OBDII tool WILL NOT communicate with the ABS or other modules.

You can also connect the tool up for each drive and it will Log when hopefully the problem occurs, the OBDII App will also Log the charging Voltage.
I did not see an option to log voltage in OBD Fusion?

Thanks, sounds like I will be pulling the DME over the weekend as well.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #27
PabloCruise

Quote:
If you set up OBDFusion as per the Logging instructions it will look at the OBDII interface Voltage which we spoke about on the other thread where you would want to figure out how accurately the OBDII interface Voltage is and if needed come up with a correction factor to apply to the displayed value.
Ah, Gratitude!

"Input voltage read by the scan tool (V)"
Old 05-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #28
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Ah, Gratitude!

"Input voltage read by the scan tool (V)"
Yup, that's it. As long as the App is connected, it is Logging in the background.

I think there is one of the gauge options that will display the Max/Min in the center of the gauge as well.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 05-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #29
PabloCruise

Last night before the drive home I started logging w/ OBD Fusion. Just as I was about to pull into my driveway, I heard the "beep" and got the amber trio.

So I pulled a diagnostic report and the log. I checked the Input Voltage Read By Scan Tool. The lowest values were 0 (all in the first 12 seconds), followed by a jump to 13.3v going all the way up to 14.1v.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #30
PabloCruise

Quote:

I think you might be right.

I wanted to check 2 things with you...

On yesterday's Diagnostic Report, my P0221 Trouble Code is Pending, not Confirmed. That seems different. Any significance there?

Also, when I look at Mode $06 - On-Board Monitoring, Component Id $07, I see the Result is Fail. Value = 446, Min = 3932. Any significance there?

Thank you...
Old 05-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #31
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Last night before the drive home I started logging w/ OBD Fusion. Just as I was about to pull into my driveway, I heard the "beep" and got the amber trio.

So I pulled a diagnostic report and the log. I checked the Input Voltage Read By Scan Tool. The lowest values were 0 (all in the first 12 seconds), followed by a jump to 13.3v going all the way up to 14.1v.
Seems fine, I do not expect a charging problem unless you want one, I think this was beaten to death, dug up and beaten to death again in the other thread.

So unless you want to buy a new battery and alternator to somehow make you feel better, I would forget about charging problems at this point.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 05-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #32
jfoj
OEM ///Member

Quote:
I think you might be right.

I wanted to check 2 things with you...

On yesterday's Diagnostic Report, my P0221 Trouble Code is Pending, not Confirmed. That seems different. Any significance there?

Also, when I look at Mode $06 - On-Board Monitoring, Component Id $07, I see the Result is Fail. Value = 446, Min = 3932. Any significance there?

Thank you...
Contaminated connections yield instability and random problems. Our friend tried to tell use how oil is non conductive, which to some extent can be true, but additives and contaminates changes everything. Last time I checked carbon was a conductor and a lot of what is in dirty oil is carbon, in addition to other metals and chemical additives. If BMW wanted to have oil filled electrical connections, they would have done this from the factory.

Fuel pump failures -

Temp Info -

Old 05-11-2018, 03:32 PM   #33
PabloCruise

Quote:
Contaminated connections yield instability and random problems. Our friend tried to tell use how oil is non conductive, which to some extent can be true, but additives and contaminates changes everything. Last time I checked carbon was a conductor and a lot of what is in dirty oil is carbon, in addition to other metals and chemical additives. If BMW wanted to have oil filled electrical connections, they would have done this from the factory.
Very good.

I will focus on replacing the exhaust cam sensor (hopefully arrived)and pulling the DME and opening the case to check for oil.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #34
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
Quote:
Measure the used oil with Ohmmeter and see how much the resistance between 2mm spacing; I would say in mega ohms or higher.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #35
PabloCruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
Measure the used oil with Ohmmeter and see how much the resistance between 2mm spacing; I would say in mega ohms or higher.
Thanks for continuing to post in here. It does not seem like many others have any perspective on my issue(s).

It has been raining most of the weekend, so I have not gotten the exhaust camshaft position sensor in, nor have I checked inside the DME for oil.

I do want to do these things and then clear codes, and then disconnect the throttle sensor at the accelerator pedal and see what kind of trouble codes I get.

Do you have any intuition on what is going on in my little e46?
Old 05-14-2018, 01:42 AM   #36
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
It seems you're having some intermittent problem related to DME, but I don't buy in the dirty oil on the connector speculation. Try another dme?
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #37
PabloCruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapote View Post
It seems you're having some intermittent problem related to DME, but I don't buy in the dirty oil on the connector speculation. Try another dme?
Well, I keep getting Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor trouble codes.

Wasn't it Freud who said "Sometimes a throttle position sensor code is just a throttle position sensor code"? Or maybe he was talking about his cigar...

My point is, I totally agree that the exhaust camshaft position sensor should be changed due to the oil in the connector. But after that, I suspect one of my two position sensors. Either the one on the pedal or the one at the throttle body.

Does anyone know if either of those will light up the amber trio?
Old 05-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #38
PabloCruise

Doing some reading on P0221 and found this:

https://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthr...2#post18268222
Old 05-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #39
PabloCruise

My amber trio from earlier today (P0221 - same as usual) went off when I was out at lunch. I gave her a rather spirited launch from a traffic light and she immediately went into limp mode.

This time, in addition to the P0221, I also got:
  • P1639 - Pending
  • P1638 - Pending

I pulled her over and killed the engine, restarted, and all the lights were off, but I could still harvest these codes on the diagnostic report.

If this link is valid: https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/bmw/

Looks like throttle body related:

P1638 Throttle Valve Position Control; Throttle Stuck Temporarily
P1639 Throttle Valve Position Control; Throttle Stuck Permanently

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/bmw/
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Last edited by PabloCruise; 05-15-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #40
PabloCruise

Today the new exhaust camshaft position sensor went in. The connector was dry. The 52 pin connector at the DME was also dry. So I pulled the DME and opened her up to see if oil had entered - dry and clean! That was a nice relief!

Now onto what is causing my problems?

It looks like it is not easy to get to the throttle body to disconnect the TPS there...