Owning a 328Ci: Costs, maintenance, and build thread - Page 15 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2018, 10:50 PM   #281
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Around here...? Or just in general...?

In all seriousness, I'm glad you're solving issues, even as you continue to try to figure out the wobble. Keep at it!
In general. Friends..family...anyone who hears "rack." The other one I hear, since I talk about the new ratio (over the factory one of 328's) is "oh, and it's a tight rack?"

Thanks man. Much more exciting stuff to come
Old 03-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #282
YoitsTmac

Well, I think we're overdue for an update. And a lot of people really enjoy the pictures I put in my thread, and they are rightfully deserved. I've been procrastinating this post because I want my YouTube to remain more up to date than this thread, but YouTube normally gets the back burner since I put so much work into the editing.

Quick refresher: I did get new tires, Firestone Indy 500's. Wow, great tire! Tremendous grip on all accounts. I think I found my tire for life. These are a great value but also are wearing tremendously better than my previous Hankook's. After roughly 5k miles, they barely look worn. I think I'll get 20k out of them!

I also did swap...another rack, and is another failure to fix my problem! To rule them out, I also replaced the knuckles (just in case), steering guibo and wheel bearings. Lucky for my the control arm decided it wasn't going to leave undamaged. So I sadly ordered another control arm, unwarrantied and overpriced from PelicanParts, because that was the quickest vendor (I am now missing school because this was supposed to be an over the weekend project), and then removed the old arm back at my place.

Still no fix. Completely shocked that no other suspension component has any play, I go to the junk yard and grab two more steering racks. Mind you, the rack I pulled in January did have some play, and the ZHP rack that was put in the car also had mild shaft play. We put one rack in and before we even put it on the car, it has tons of play. Put in the TRW rack (RIP purple tag racks) and it is noise free. Until this point, there was a mild clicking noise when turning the wheel rapidly left and right. This rack did seem to resolve that issue. But alas I still have the wobble. Last thing is the wheels. I have someone who is willing to let me borrow 4 wheels on a suspension refreshed E46 that runs fine, so that will be the ultimate test.

I returned the sh*tty rack doctor rack to the junk yard as a core, then there's the bad one just going back, and then the ZHP one that is going back to the seller. I wish this reality on no one, but I can swap a steering rack in 45 minutes now.

Unhappy with the large sums of money put into the car without results, I decided to purchase something I knew would make the car better. I had to do this first

The bulb releases weren't coming out by hand, I had to use pliers. I assume they just got stuck on and are original bulbs. I put in Orsam Nightbreakers, review on my channel coming soon. At first was underwhelming

And then it wasn't!

I also installed UUC Transmission bushings. You should check out the video! Okay fine, funny part at 15:52 but the casual garage talk through the entire video is fun, to me.

On my way home, I heard a really bad clunk. I had my friend tighten everything and never double checked. I didn't have a jack so I made a makeshift jack out of an awkwardly leveled gas station ramp. (the other side gave me a chest + .5ft of clearance)(see back tire compression)

I didn't find anything until I saw my signal light could not take the new chassis vibration and the 18 year old tabs snapped. So I ran to a CVS and taped it aggressively for the remaining drive home and until the replacement signal came!

I also went on a fantastic drive with CCA.

This car just got picked up from the dealer. This is an individual color that apparently had only been out for a couple weeks. We got some really amazing cars in the Golden Gate Chapter!

All was going well until this happened.

I was getting an awful clunking noise over bumps and assumed the sway bar got loose. Nope, it was worse.

So I ordered replacement mounts from BMW and had a metal shop with really good reviews weld it in and EHHHHH. Please be nice folks, my options were limited. It has been tested. If it fails, I'll do it myself.

And lastly, this gem rolled into the local junkie.

So I grabbed the hood because mine had a dent above the driver headlight. SO PRETTY!! I got pretty lucky...

So I'm sure you guys are wondering, what's next? Well. If you watched the video, you know what's next. The hint is that the next big project, can be seen for the first minute of my transmission bushing video. If you guys need another hint, I'll drop one in a week.

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 03-18-2018 at 04:46 PM.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #283
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post

So I'm sure you guys are wondering, what's next? Well. If you watched the video, you know what's next. The hint is that the next big project, can be seen for the first minute of my transmission bushing video. If you guys need another hint, I'll drop one in a week.
Front bumper supports/guides?

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #284
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Front bumper supports/guides?
Nope! The bumper was like that because I backed up after my bumper had gone too far over the wheel stop, sadly. it ripped the bumper from its bracket. I pulled the bumper off and put it back on and that fixed the issue. It also took out my fender lining sadly. The hint is on the floor, but I don't think anyone will get it. I'll drop another hint Tuesday instead just in case anyone can get it!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #285
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

I see it. Transmission swap?

No Fear

Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #286
fordy_4

My Ride: 00' 330ci, 97' R33
The car is just getting better and better

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Fern Green Division

16:9 On-Board Monitor | Rear PDC | Xenons | ZSP | Sunroof | Golf tee mod | Michelin PS4 | Stage 1 ECU reflash
fordy_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #287
YoitsTmac

Quote:
I see it. Transmission swap?
Teehee, yes Got to pick up a uh, a 6 speed unit . Very low miles, parts are coming in slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy_4 View Post
The car is just getting better and better
Thanks man! Big plans ahead
Old 03-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #288
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Teehee, yes Got to pick up a uh, a 6 speed unit . Very low miles, parts are coming in slow!

Current: '02 330i/5 • '10 Mazda5 • '72 240Z
Past BMWs: '95 540i/6 • '95 525i/5 • '86 635CSi/5
Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:23 AM   #289
YoitsTmac

Quote:
AGREED!!! By the way I stumbled on your build and was disappointed to not see any updates lately.

This is what I have now, CSB and guibo not pictured. The shifter is a lightly used SSK, hence the dirt.

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 03-20-2018 at 02:23 AM.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #290
YoitsTmac

Oh sh*t. You guys, I just bought Porsche 996 calipers....

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics
Old 04-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #291
YoitsTmac

Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #292
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: ZF 5AT
Quote:

No fair! Jealous to the max... Did you get a good deal on calipers + the custom carrier brackets?

Pretty low priority on the mod list for me atm, but glad to hear you got a hold of some. Also congrats on finding a 6 speed unit! I'm gonna need some luck searching around Birmingham for one when winter comes, hopefully will accrue all the parts then install in the spring time.

Sent from my [device_name] using E46Fanatics mobile app
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #293
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:

I have access to 996 calipers everywhere in my business. Please put up some pictures on the brackets and calipers and if you plan on re-powder coating them to remove the Porsche label. Front and rear?

No Fear

Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #294
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Will you have to upgrade your wheels? I was washing the car (and the wheels) this weekend and noticed there was only about 1/8" of clearance between the outside of the stock 330i caliper and the stick-on wheel weight on the inside of my 68s...

Current: '02 330i/5 • '10 Mazda5 • '72 240Z
Past BMWs: '95 540i/6 • '95 525i/5 • '86 635CSi/5
Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #295
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
No fair! Jealous to the max... Did you get a good deal on calipers + the custom carrier brackets?

Pretty low priority on the mod list for me atm, but glad to hear you got a hold of some. Also congrats on finding a 6 speed unit! I'm gonna need some luck searching around Birmingham for one when winter comes, hopefully will accrue all the parts then install in the spring time.

Sent from my [device_name] using E46Fanatics mobile app
I got a pretty good deal. Good enough for 7:30am Tyler to purchase impulsively. This was a very expensive impulsive purchase. Uncle Sam still wants his cut. I hid all my cards and deleted all my auto fill to see if I can nearly pay for them by living off $200 this month. Gotta act like a poor uni kid for next semester.

Quote:
I have access to 996 calipers everywhere in my business. Please put up some pictures on the brackets and calipers and if you plan on re-powder coating them to remove the Porsche label. Front and rear?
You saying I should have bought them from you? I never disappoint with pictures! They’re on the way. 41k miles. I probably won’t repaint, looked nice enough.

Quote:
Will you have to upgrade your wheels? I was washing the car (and the wheels) this weekend and noticed there was only about 1/8" of clearance between the outside of the stock 330i caliper and the stick-on wheel weight on the inside of my 68s...
With all my mods, when they come in, you’ll see them on my channel before here usually and then on here shortly after. But you never know man maybe I have something in the works.

We got two new project bummers coming to the channel next week, while I’m talking about it.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #296
YoitsTmac

Huge mods coming very soon. Unfortunately had to do the smart thing as some of you probably saw, and sell my impulse buy BBK. No worries everyone, I have something else in store for braking

Old 06-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #297
YoitsTmac

Did a huge update with everything I've been up to in my latest youtube video. I've done a lot, I highly suggest skimming it at the least. One pic for the boys and girls, and another for the tease:

Video:

Pic:

second pic because damn the car is pretty:

yes the foglight have been removed. Stay tuned if you haven't figured it out. I got lots of new videos really soon.

tease:
Old 06-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #298
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:

Pic:
Money shot. Is this mostly Photoshop?

lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:49 AM   #299
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
Money shot. Is this mostly Photoshop?
Not necessarily. Just edited in Lightroom. Nothing added or taken away, just messed with colors over the entire image. Here is the original

Old 06-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #300
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Year: 2002
Transmission: ZF 5AT
Quote:
yes the foglight have been removed. Stay tuned if you haven't figured it out. I got lots of new videos really soon.

tease:
Do I see the corkscrew at MRLS? Er, guess it's WeatherTech RLS now, lol. Very jealous, my man. Glad that things are coming together for the car - you know you're inspiring me to start my own build thread after I finish my move, right?

Sent from my LG V30+ using E46Fanatics mobile app
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
328, cost of ownership, story, teenager