AVIN Avant 4 - Installation & First review - Page 9 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #161
alirz

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe.2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
Got my issue resolved. In my case, I identified the specific wi-fi as metered or unmetered rather than leaving it for it to decide. Connects right away the moment it is in range.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Where is the option of specifying that?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
alirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #162
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post

Good question. I don't see any of those settings either. That would normally be found in the selected WiFi network under Data Usage but I don't have any of those settings in my Android 8.0 Oreo.

Digital Competition Systems
The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 06-13-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:33 AM   #163
chikoo

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post

when you hit settings for the wifi and the passwrd window pops up. There is an “advanced” option at the bottom of that window.

chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #164
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
when you hit settings for the wifi and the passwrd window pops up. There is an “advanced” option at the bottom of that window.

Still nothing there chikoo. I removed my home wifi connection and reconnected to get the password screen, Found the advanced settings at the bottom but no data usage or metered/unmetered settings in there either. If you could take a screenshot or picture of yours that would be helpful.

I am not sure that will fix my issue. My wifi connects fine when in range too but my problem is the wifi will not automatically turn on. I look in settings/network and wifi is off. I turn it on and it connects straight away. What I want is the wifi to always be on without having to go to settings and turn it on. The weird issue is sometimes it does automatically turn on but maybe only 10% of the time.

No Fear

Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #165
chikoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Still nothing there chikoo. I removed my home wifi connection and reconnected to get the password screen, Found the advanced settings at the bottom but no data usage or metered/unmetered settings in there either. If you could take a screenshot or picture of yours that would be helpful.

I am not sure that will fix my issue. My wifi connects fine when in range too but my problem is the wifi will not automatically turn on. I look in settings/network and wifi is off. I turn it on and it connects straight away. What I want is the wifi to always be on without having to go to settings and turn it on. The weird issue is sometimes it does automatically turn on but maybe only 10% of the time.

I am out for the weekend. Will take a screenshot once I am back. I don’t seem to have the problem of wifi turning off, other than when I reboot it.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #166
skylink

My Ride: E46
[QUOTE=chikoo;18565479]I am out for the weekend. Will take a screenshot once I am back. I don’t seem to have the problem of wifi turning off, other than when I reboot it.

It must be a very long weekend
skylink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #167
aussie_e46

My Ride: e46 318i facelift se
Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker View Post
One thing that always bothered me is Bluetooth. Maybe it was a limitation on the Avant 2 or Bluetooth in general. If my phone is connected via Bluetooth, calls will ring through, but nothing else. So if I am using Google assistant on my phone or Google maps, none of the audio comes through the car speakers. Is it the same on the 4? Is there any way to make all audio pass through to the unit when connected via Bluetooth?
Yes Google maps audio comes through from my phone, and bluetooth music quality is really excellent, I use it all the time with pandora and can skip tracks on the steering wheel from pandora on my phone.. that feature is just the best has really transformed my car!

Sent from my SM-G935F using E46Fanatics mobile app
aussie_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #168
kricker

My Ride: 528it
Will Google maps from your phone still go through if the Avant is playing music from the radio or another non Bluetooth source?

The Avant 2 works fine if I have it on Bluetooth, but I often listen to music using Play Music on the Avant and then only calls will come through and it stops all music until the call is done.
kricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #169
aussie_e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabrioPassion View Post
Hi kricker. I have not reached any trouble with BT on my Avant 2, but I used it to call with hands free only, so I cannot give you a concrete feedback on Google assistant and Google Maps both. However, I may try to do some tests if you would.

Overall, I had some trouble with WiFi that is very weak, thus it needs be litterally in front of a router to get the signal. So, I hope that the Avant 4's one is better than the Avant 2 (I do not know how Avant 3 was).

In addition, I hope that rear camera is better than the old version, because my one died after 3 years. Further, I am curious about the new version of the front camera, which seems able to work with the back one, albeit my actual version is merely separated from it.

PS:

I am comparing some features of Avant 4 to Eonon and they appear quite similar but I am not sure. In addition, I do not know any more 2 din brands, so I am not aware about any others better or worse then those just mentioned.
I'm having great wifi reception on my Avant 4 from my house to garage and my home wifi is 3 rooms away through timber walls..

I think it has a lot to do with where you put the avin's wifi antenna. I stuck mine up to the passenger side literally above the glovebox stuck right under the underside of the dash above the airbag.. as it only has to transmit/receive through plastic from under there and the windscreen I'm getting great signal. If its buried below the vents its gotta get through the bonnet.. under the highest part of the passenger side dash avoids all metal

I put GPS on the metal bar in between the vents, so that works great too and are separate to eachother.
I see too many people burying the wifi behind the cords.. a lot of interference there and metal around.. stuck under the plastic top dash on passenger side is working great

Last edited by aussie_e46; 06-19-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #170
aussie_e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker View Post
Will Google maps from your phone still go through if the Avant is playing music from the radio or another non Bluetooth source?

The Avant 2 works fine if I have it on Bluetooth, but I often listen to music using Play Music on the Avant and then only calls will come through and it stops all music until the call is done.
Kricker I'm running Pandora music on my phone to my Avant 4 via bluetooth and sound quality is brilliant, AND I get Google maps directions AND calls coming through aswell just fine.. cuts the music volume when a call comes in and it cuts the music, and for Google maps it lowers it lots

Oh and super bonus, I can skip tracks on pandora on my steering wheel! It made me smile like crazy when I first tried that and it worked.. my favourite feature of all by far.. worth the purchase just for pandora on ur steering wheel in ur e46!

PS if pandora not available in your country download TouchVPN onto your phone, set to United states, and your pandora will launch! my gf cried when I got hers back doing the VPN trick and got and all her playlists.. (im in Oz so pandora shut down access a cpl years ago) it's so much better than spotify imho

Old 06-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #171
chikoo

[QUOTE=skylink;18568227]
Quote:
I am out for the weekend. Will take a screenshot once I am back. I don’t seem to have the problem of wifi turning off, other than when I reboot it.

It must be a very long weekend

it was!

here are the pix.

https://imgur.com/a/H8H4tTT

Old 06-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #172
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Thanks chikoo! Mine is nothing like yours. Is yours 8.0 Oreo or 9.0 Pie?

No Fear

Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #173
chikoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Thanks chikoo! Mine is nothing like yours. Is yours 8.0 Oreo or 9.0 Pie?

9.0 Pie

Old 06-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #174
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
9.0 Pie

Yep, there lies the difference. I'm on 8.0 Oreo but have a 9.0 Pie ordered.

Thank you for taking the time and providing the screenshot.

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 06-19-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:57 PM   #175
paraklas

My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
Here's my update so far.
Quote:
Hi, it appears you are not reading my messages thoroughly, or if this is over your position, please escalate it. This is not how you build customer loyalty. I have received a faulty unit. Not broken in 2 days. Broken from day 1. And I have to put down $180 for shipping (which I am not going to be refunded obviously) and $400 for deposit ($580 in total) and also pay sales tax when the new unit arrives, 19% of the estimated value (not of the value the Chinese manufacturer writes), which is about $80. So my experience with AVIN now is to have paid:
$580 for the 1st AVIN
$80 sales tax
$400 for "security deposit"
$180 shipping the faulty back
$80 sales tax for the new unit
Sum: $1320.

If for whatever reason, the returned unit is lost/broken or for whatever reason you decide that your standards are not met, I am facing with loosing even more money.

Re-read my e-mail and decide your actions. The bare minimum you should had done (I would have done it myself) is to ship a replacement unit ASAP, then get the faulty one back, no security deposits or anything else. You bear the "cost of worrying when the unit will come" and I will bear the shipping cost. It is apparent that the unit I received, had absolutely no quality control, the one and only thing being a selling point over the other units.
Maybe for some I am being unfair with them but from my perspective, I don't think I am. Nevertheless, the reply that I got was the same, $400 downpayment or be left with a hole on the dash for as long as it takes for the old unit to reach them and send the new back.

I chose to patiently wait for the new firmware. when my patience runs out I will go the custom firmware solution and possibly new board and screw them.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #176
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Here's my update so far.

Maybe for some I am being unfair with them but from my perspective, I don't think I am. Nevertheless, the reply that I got was the same, $400 downpayment or be left with a hole on the dash for as long as it takes for the old unit to reach them and send the new back.

I chose to patiently wait for the new firmware. when my patience runs out I will go the custom firmware solution and possibly new board and screw them.
You are absolutely right paraklas. It is a shame AVIN has placed the burden on you. I see their microSD cards blowing up everywhere but have not seen any other hardware failures other than my internal microphone. My Avant-4 will sometimes give me unexpected results or glitches but I think that is more Android than AVIN.

No Fear

Old 06-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #177
chikoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Here's my update so far.

to be fair, one typically develops business practices on past lessons. I suspect in AVINs case, people who got a new AVIN never bothered to return the old one.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #178
paraklas

My Ride: B30_TS2++
Year: 2001
Transmission: 5-Getrag
Excited to get an email for an update.

Turned out to be MCU update. 256kb. Didn't fix anything.

They have no idea when a proper firmware update will come.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #179
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:
to be fair, one typically develops business practices on past lessons. I suspect in AVINs case, people who got a new AVIN never bothered to return the old one.

Yeah and honestly, my experience has been that it's standard practice to not send an advance replacement without a deposit. Where he's getting ****ed is the shipping.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 AM   #180
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Transmission: 6-speed
Presumably US law applies as they're sold out of the US? For goods sold here in in the EU, you are entitled to what you agreed to buy at the delivered price you agreed to pay, so if you buy a working item and it arrives faulty then return shipping is down to the seller. Is that not also the case in the US then?
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote