Spannerhead's 2002 Orient Blue 330i/5 Slicktop - Page 11 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #201
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
User CP>Subscribed Threads>List Subscriptions is your friend
Yep; did that. The notification emails were getting routed to my spam box. Fixed now.

Quote:
As far as the lights in your E34, the key is that there were ballasts in the equation, regardless of how they were placed. As far as your car, the OEM solution is having the ballast screwed onto the bottom of the headlight. There are aftermarket solutions, sure, but depending on the shape of the ballast, you may be able to get 1 or 2 screws in so it can fit into the OEM slot or you'd have to zip tie it somewhere in the car, such as on the metal wheel arch.
Yeah I'm probably going to go OEM at this point. There's a facelift coupe with Xenons that arrived at the local yard last week. May see what I can pick off that this weekend... Thanks for all your input.

In other news, I installed some new specs last night. Before:

And after:

It's ridiculous how easy BMW makes it to switch out the lenses. 30 minutes in and out, and I was going slowly...

Also I got them from FCP (they're Magnetti-Marelli brand; perfect fit) so I basically have new lenses for life now.
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #202
lllRazorlll

My Ride: Accord Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Yep; did that. The notification emails were getting routed to my spam box. Fixed now.

Yeah I'm probably going to go OEM at this point. There's a facelift coupe with Xenons that arrived at the local yard last week. May see what I can pick off that this weekend... Thanks for all your input.

In other news, I installed some new specs last night. Before:

And after:

It's ridiculous how easy BMW makes it to switch out the lenses. 30 minutes in and out, and I was going slowly...

Also I got them from FCP (they're Magnetti-Marelli brand; perfect fit) so I basically have new lenses for life now.
The lenses were much needed. Not sure if you can extract anything from a facelift coupe. Maybe the igniter and ballast but I'd check RealOEM and cross reference part numbers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #203
Spannerhead

Quote:
The lenses were much needed. Not sure if you can extract anything from a facelift coupe. Maybe the igniter and ballast but I'd check RealOEM and cross reference part numbers
Hmm, per RealOEM, the "control units" (the ballasts?) are the same but the igniters are different. When I had the headlight assemblies out I confirmed that there are mounting points for the ballasts on the underside of the halogen housings (the black plastic "base" everything bolts to), so I guess they're common.

I'm not in a terrible rush on it; may just wait until a sedan with xenons pops up in the you-pull-it yard...
Old 09-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #204
lllRazorlll

Quote:
Hmm, per RealOEM, the "control units" (the ballasts?) are the same but the igniters are different. When I had the headlight assemblies out I confirmed that there are mounting points for the ballasts on the underside of the halogen housings (the black plastic "base" everything bolts to), so I guess they're common.

I'm not in a terrible rush on it; may just wait until a sedan with xenons pops up in the you-pull-it yard...
Good to know that the ballasts are the same. You could even find a decent set on eBay or Facebook Marketplace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #205
Spannerhead

Finally used the touchup kit my lovely wife bought me for my birthday all the way back in January.

Very pleased with the results! I don't have a good "before" photo, but this area was a mass of stone chips. Color matched perfectly also.

It's a "Color 'n Drive" kit from Amazon. The directions were pretty horrible, but I understood was they were getting at after a minute or so. A little elbow grease, polish and wax and it turned out very nicely, IMO.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #206
lllRazorlll

Nice. When is your birthday? I'm also a January birthday

Old 09-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #207
MBCO

My Ride: AW|NB 330i
I feel like I touch up rock chips on my hood every month. It's getting to a point where I'm about to re-spray the whole front end and cover in PPF.

by
, on Flickr
IG:
MBCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #208
Spannerhead

Quote:
Nice. When is your birthday? I'm also a January birthday
January 22nd. Aquarius. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBCO View Post
I feel like I touch up rock chips on my hood every month. It's getting to a point where I'm about to re-spray the whole front end and cover in PPF.
I hear you. My previous BMW, a '95 540, was a Colorado car (evidently they have a big rock chip problem there) and had a clear bra, which was really nice.

My bumper's going to have to be replaced soon. The clearcoat is failing on the top lip and the previous owner must've had a steep driveway since the bottom is all scraped up...

In other news, a 2001 330 w/Xenons popped up at the local you-pull-it. Looks like I'm going to do some parts scrounging soon...
Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #209
lllRazorlll

Quote:
January 22nd. Aquarius. Lol.

I hear you. My previous BMW, a '95 540, was a Colorado car (evidently they have a big rock chip problem there) and had a clear bra, which was really nice.

My bumper's going to have to be replaced soon. The clearcoat is failing on the top lip and the previous owner must've had a steep driveway since the bottom is all scraped up...

In other news, a 2001 330 w/Xenons popped up at the local you-pull-it. Looks like I'm going to do some parts scrounging soon...
I am a Capricorn

As far as the lights, a 2001 is a prefacelift sedan and won't work in your application. The projectors are smaller and the components inside are different like how I mentioned earlier. If it is a prefacelift coupe then you may be good since I know those lights use the bigger projector and ribbed high beam reflector bowl. Once again, a visit to RealOEM should help clarify but I am almost positive they will work

Last edited by lllRazorlll; 09-17-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #210
Spannerhead

Quote:
I am a Capricorn

As far as the lights, a 2001 is a prefacelift sedan and won't work in your application. The projectors are smaller and the components inside are different like how I mentioned earlier. If it is a prefacelift coupe then you may be good since I know those lights use the bigger projector and ribbed high beam reflector bowl. Once again, a visit to RealOEM should help clarify but I am almost positive they will work
It's a prefacelift coupe. I have the facelift projector assemblies already (see previous page) which I plan to retrofit into my halogen housings, assuming the mounting points are all the same.

In theory, the only things I'd need from the junkyard car would be the ballasts, igniters, pigtails, etc, correct?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #211
lllRazorlll

Quote:
It's a prefacelift coupe. I have the facelift projector assemblies already (see previous page) which I plan to retrofit into my halogen housings, assuming the mounting points are all the same.

In theory, the only things I'd need from the junkyard car would be the ballasts, igniters, pigtails, etc, correct?
Besides the xenon projector & reflector bowls which you already have, this is what you will need:

So yes to your question. I don't think a prefacelift 2001-03 coupe has the bixenon feature so the ballast bracket might only have 1 socket and the small green plug might not even be there. That's for the xenon shutter. Won't really matter in your case as I don't even know if there is a harness under the hood that will contain the plugs needed to plug into the ballast bracket.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #212
Spannerhead

^Thanks for that! We'll be out of town so I can't "go shopping" this weekend, but soon.

Last edited by Spannerhead; 09-20-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #213
Spannerhead

So ever since I've owned my car, the passenger side front fender liner has been missing. My only theory is that the PO must've hit a rock or something.

MTech1 parts are pretty hard to find, but last week a green 330xi with MTech1 popped up at the local you-pull-it yard. I went yesterday right before they closed and scored the following:

Brake duct, fender liner and on the left, a pair of xenon bulb covers and a retaining ring.

The car had a full xenon setup (it wasn't yet picked over) but I only had time to grab what I did. Hopefully I'll get the rest soon. Even the bulbs and igniters were still there, harness intact, etc.

Took off my bumper and verified that I was missing not only the fender liner but half of the brake duct also (they're two-piece).

Unfortunately...........I also discovered that the outer MTech1 brake duct is xi-specific:

It was OK, but two of the also-xi-specific plastic undertray retaining screws secure to the outer brake duct part, so I had to make an extra hole in my non-xi undertray and reposition the screw:

Got it all buttoned up:

Happy Indigo!

I have a stash of extra bodywork fasteners, nuts, screws, rivets and clips, so I made sure every single location was secured. Absolutely NO missing fasteners anywhere on the front of the car. I love a buttoned-up car.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #214
Spannerhead

Evening over Orient Blue.