Driving lights improvement? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 09:07 PM   #1
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Driving lights improvement?

I just put an M-Tech II front bumper on my car and am surprised that the larger driving lights are really no more effective than the tiny little ones in the facelift bumper. Can I accomplish anything with just a bulb upgrade? Retrofit Source has Morimoto LEDs that replace the 9006 but they're $120/pr, and I wonder how effective they would really be in a reflector designed for halogen. They've also got an HID replacement for it for only $40, but there's the same question there and I can't entirely tell if that includes everything required for plug and play.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
galoweo2

My Ride: 2004 325i
I upgraded to H7 LEDs and CCFL Angel Eyes from Amazon. Product list:

Angel Eyes: GFJMC BMW E46 CCFL Xenon White $29.99

H7 LEDs: HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H7, 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White $35.99 x 2 $71.98

Note: 9600lm is for the pair

H7 Adapters: HUIQIAODS H7 LED Headlight Bulb Retainer Adapter Base Holder for BMW 3 series E46 $9.99

Coded my car to Max Bright for headlights and DRLs. Also coded to turn of bulb check which eliminates warning lights on dash.

The Hikari H7s I used in both low and high. Was pulled over for not turning off brights when officer flashed me. No ticket but wanted to know if I could see through buildings.

SUPER bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
galoweo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
VpointVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by galoweo2 View Post
I upgraded to H7 LEDs and CCFL Angel Eyes from Amazon. Product list:

Angel Eyes: GFJMC BMW E46 CCFL Xenon White $29.99

H7 LEDs: HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H7, 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White $35.99 x 2 $71.98

Note: 9600lm is for the pair

H7 Adapters: HUIQIAODS H7 LED Headlight Bulb Retainer Adapter Base Holder for BMW 3 series E46 $9.99

Coded my car to Max Bright for headlights and DRLs. Also coded to turn of bulb check which eliminates warning lights on dash.

The Hikari H7s I used in both low and high. Was pulled over for not turning off brights when officer flashed me. No ticket but wanted to know if I could see through buildings.

SUPER bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beyond the fact that none of what you typed has anything to do with the driving lights, I'm perfectly happy with the xenons on my car, at least until I build a set of quad xenons eliminating the halogen high beams, The bolded part is kind of what I'm talking about when putting HID or LED bulbs in halogen housings. The reflectors are focused on where the light would be coming from if it were a halogen so instead of shining down the road like it should it gets scattered all over the place blinding everybody on the road like some kind of riced out Civic with an HID swap and a fart cannon exhaust.

I'm looking for brighter driving lights, but I'm looking for it to be going the right places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
ArtifactsinMotion

My Ride: LMB E90M3, SG 325iT
Year: 2011
Model: E90 M3
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
Beyond the fact that none of what you typed has anything to do with the driving lights, I'm perfectly happy with the xenons on my car, at least until I build a set of quad xenons eliminating the halogen high beams, The bolded part is kind of what I'm talking about when putting HID or LED bulbs in halogen housings. The reflectors are focused on where the light would be coming from if it were a halogen so instead of shining down the road like it should it gets scattered all over the place blinding everybody on the road like some kind of riced out Civic with an HID swap and a fart cannon exhaust.

I'm looking for brighter driving lights, but I'm looking for it to be going the right places.
I think the point of confusion here might be if you're referring to the daytime running lights (inner H7 bulbs of the headlight housing) or the fog lamps in the bumper. Would be worth clarifying in the original post.
ArtifactsinMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
VpointVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtifactsinMotion View Post
I think the point of confusion here might be if you're referring to the daytime running lights (inner H7 bulbs of the headlight housing) or the fog lamps in the bumper. Would be worth clarifying in the original post.

It says "driving lights" in the title. The OP says that I installed an M-Tech II bumper and mentions the difference in size of the driving lights in the bumper and how I have been surprised that the larger ones don't put out any more light than the small ones in the facelift bumper. I even mention the 9006 bulb rather than the H7.

How much more clear could I have been?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
ArtifactsinMotion

Quote:

It says "driving lights" in the title. The OP says that I installed an M-Tech II bumper and mentions the difference in size of the driving lights in the bumper and how I have been surprised that the larger ones don't put out any more light than the small ones in the facelift bumper. I even mention the 9006 bulb rather than the H7.

How much more clear could I have been?
I think that's fair to say not trying to create contention!

To your actual point, I don't think you'll achieve the desired results with just Halogen or HID bulb upgrades. I saw in your build post that you got the Umnitza bumper. Their Xenon kit is effective AND plug and play, but you'll end up probably paying same you would for an LED conversion which is lower power and less fragile (especially consider the crap that fog lights have to deal with being low and on the front)
Old 12-13-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
VpointVick

I looked at the available xenon kit that's offered by them and others, and it appears that it's nothing more than a xenon bulb in the same halogen reflector, which is going to put out all kinds of light but scatter it everywhere making other drivers hate you.

I tried some Euro Hella 100W 9006 halogen bulbs and they didn't seem to be that different shining against my garage door when I did a side-by-side comparison, but they're surprisingly a good bit better on the road. I was pretty impressed when I turned them on during my commute the next morning.

I've got a $30 set of LED bulbs that are built on a cylindrical platform rather than the flat, two-sided, one that many of the others use, so may be close enough to the halogen beam pattern to be more like what I'm after. Going to install them this weekend and I'll report back.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #8
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Quote:
I looked at the available xenon kit that's offered by them and others, and it appears that it's nothing more than a xenon bulb in the same halogen reflector, which is going to put out all kinds of light but scatter it everywhere making other drivers hate you.

I tried some Euro Hella 100W 9006 halogen bulbs and they didn't seem to be that different shining against my garage door when I did a side-by-side comparison, but they're surprisingly a good bit better on the road. I was pretty impressed when I turned them on during my commute the next morning.

I've got a $30 set of LED bulbs that are built on a cylindrical platform rather than the flat, two-sided, one that many of the others use, so may be close enough to the halogen beam pattern to be more like what I'm after. Going to install them this weekend and I'll report back.

there are various type of Led in terms of technology and shape, each one of these have a precise fitment.
you must find the one that can replace 9006 bulbs with no difference in shape, distance from the center of the bowl and most important, how it spreads the light..
there was an very detalied video in Youtube, which explains why most of people fail in using the wrong led for their setup..

( found):

Last edited by TheRiddle; 12-14-2019 at 06:01 AM.
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #9
VpointVick

That's a really informative video and gives me confidence in their products, unfortunately their bulbs are even more expensive than the Morimotos.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #10
VpointVick

Quote:

Pros - Bright, and much whiter light, much better match to the color of the xenons.

Con - The beam pattern is utter crap. Light just scattered everywhere. This is why other drivers hate people who do swaps like this with their headlights.

I'd had my doubts about the blade like, two sided, LEDs but as the folks who made the video above favor that design I guess I'll give some of those a try next.

Last edited by VpointVick; 12-15-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 12-16-2019, 06:06 AM   #11
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
Quote:
That's a really informative video and gives me confidence in their products, unfortunately their bulbs are even more expensive than the Morimotos.
i didn't care about their product, i only focused on the main concept
TheRiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #12
VpointVick

I returned the cheaper, four-sided bulbs in favor of these, much happier with the beam pattern. There's a little bit of a ring that you can see up high that might not belong there, but looking at how the reflectors are designed I'm not sure if any bulbs would have that not there.

Pretty happy with the results. The Morimotos might have turned out slightly brighter because of better heat management, but these'll do me fine at less than a third of the price.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #13
VpointVick

I just ordered a set of these in H7 to go in my inner lamps. I've coded my LKM to leave the driving lights on and to light the H7s in addition to opening the bixenon shutters, so this should be like turning on the sun when I hit the high beams!
Old 01-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #14
VpointVick

Quote:
I just ordered a set of these in H7 to go in my inner lamps. I've coded my LKM to leave the driving lights on and to light the H7s in addition to opening the bixenon shutters, so this should be like turning on the sun when I hit the high beams!
I'm really happy with these in my high beams, I pity the next person I meet who has their brights on and gets flashed!

I don't know that I can recommend these in halogen low beam housings as there is probably still enough scatter to be really annoying to oncoming drivers if in a position where they aren't either aimed low, like my driving lights, or not normally on when meeting oncoming traffic, like my high beams, but they're great for my needs.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #15
ArtifactsinMotion

What H7 adapters did you use? I got a set on Amazon that did not fit the h7 housing well, nor did they keep the bulbs in place in the adapter
Old 01-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #16
VpointVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtifactsinMotion View Post
What H7 adapters did you use? I got a set on Amazon that did not fit the h7 housing well, nor did they keep the bulbs in place in the adapter
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #17
ArtifactsinMotion

Many thanks to Vick, as his adapters were much higher quality than the black ones I got. I tried using them with LED bulbs that you recommended (Zdatt Tech) as well as the Hikari "Eye of Megatron" bulbs (lmao, what a name), but I was not satisfied with the-side exit wire. Many of the replacement LED bulbs have this side exit wire because they feature an active cooling feature on the back (I.e. a little plastic fan). Due to this design, the bulb sits askew in the adapter, causing alignment issues within the reflector housing. the This led (hah) me to research bulbs that had passive cooling via heat sink fins (was not about to have massive ribbon heat sinks). I had found the Auxbeam NF-X3 Series PX26D https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
What I like about these:
- Passive cooling design means the wire exits the rear of the bulb, so it sits uniform in the housing adapter. Also, no whine from tiny fans that will probably break. The bulb fits like a glove.
- Contained LED element covers the tip of the bulb like a standard halogen. This means that looking straight-on, no light is going forward. This is often the cause of irregular light patterns.
- Parts outside of the diode reflector are finished in a matte silver, which looks nice when the lights are off (opposed to many aftermarket halogens which have blue or gold tips, which can look non-OEM in the housings)
- Many replacement bulbs either have the H7 position ring fixed or infinitely variable. These feature a ball-and-seat configuration with 6 positions (60 degrees between respectively). This allows for position adjustment, but also the ability to lock that position in place.

They still have a bit more "glow" than the stock Halogens, but the beam is mostly consistent and actually angled a bit lower than the stock halogens. Please see my during and after results below!

Old 01-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #18
VpointVick

It was a little bit of a pain to get that side exit wire out with those adapters, I had to take the passenger headlight out to get everything situated in the housing, so I take your point there. I don't run DRLs so I don't actually expect cooling to be too big of an issue for my H7s as they aren't really on for any period of time.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
VpointVick

I happened to notice leaving lunch today (was pulled head in for the first time in forever) in the reflection of Five Guys' front glass that my high beams were flickering even though my lights weren't on. I guess I'll have to code out the high beam cold test. The pulse is so brief that you probably would never even notice a halogen lamp coming on, but the LEDs being instant on and it becomes noticeable.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #20
ArtifactsinMotion

Quote:
I happened to notice leaving lunch today (was pulled head in for the first time in forever) in the reflection of Five Guys' front glass that my high beams were flickering even though my lights weren't on. I guess I'll have to code out the high beam cold test. The pulse is so brief that you probably would never even notice a halogen lamp coming on, but the LEDs being instant on and it becomes noticeable.
You could also add Anti-flicker resistors, but if coding is a no-cost option, then it's clear what to do.