AutoVisuals pens vs Dr. ColorChip for road rash + minor scratches - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
meathead

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible
AutoVisuals pens vs Dr. ColorChip for road rash + minor scratches

I'm looking for some recommendations on using an AutoVisuals color pen followed by a clearcoat pen vs. using Dr. ColorChip? Or possibly Dr. ColorChip followed by a clearcoat pen?

If it makes a difference, the color is carbon black and I'm a complete novice.
meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Cecilt

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead View Post
I'm looking for some recommendations on using an AutoVisuals color pen followed by a clearcoat pen vs. using Dr. ColorChip? Or possibly Dr. ColorChip followed by a clearcoat pen?

If it makes a difference, the color is carbon black and I'm a complete novice.
I have used Dr. color Chip on 3 of my vehicles. It is great stuff and I highly recommend it. The paint they send matches up beutifully and hides the road rash very well. I just used it on my M3 last weekend and was amazed at the results. You do not have to put clear on top. Just wait 3 days and wax.
Cecilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
[email protected]
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
I have personally used this on my own vehicles and clients vehicles.

Nothing beats the DR Color Chip paint program! Its awesome, and being in Canada where we lay gravel, salt, and sand on the roads in winter... its brutal on my Bimmer. But when summer rolls around just use the Dr. Color Chip and wham! those rock chips, and road rash are gone.

Thanks,
Steven
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
meathead

Dr. ColorChip FTW

I just used it today and I am impressed. I had road rash all over my hood. and other places. I think I used almost half the bottle just on the hood. For a while, I thought it had ruined the paint, but I got a new rag and more solvent and just kept rubbing and eventually it all buffed out.

Here's part of the hood before and after:

It still needs polish and wax. That will get done next week when the touch ups have had a chance to cure.

It may need more work on some spots. I'll know when I see it in sunlight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0557.jpg
Views:	5172
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	311493   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0564.jpg
Views:	4652
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	311494  
Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
DHNT2005

My Ride: is a money pit.
wow, great pictures! I've been waiting for someone to post up some before and afters. Your before pic is definitely what my hood looks like now and you don't even want to start with how my bumper looks lol... I LOL at it everytime I look at it. So how much did half the bottle cover on your hood? is it just that front portion or the whole hood? I'm pretty sure if you have road rash on your hood like that, your fenders must be affected as well.
DHNT2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead View Post
I just used it today and I am impressed. I had road rash all over my hood. and other places. I think I used almost half the bottle just on the hood. For a while, I thought it had ruined the paint, but I got a new rag and more solvent and just kept rubbing and eventually it all buffed out.

Here's part of the hood before and after:

It still needs polish and wax. That will get done next week when the touch ups have had a chance to cure.

It may need more work on some spots. I'll know when I see it in sunlight.
WOW! After looking at those pics I'm ready to get this. Which kit did you get? Your car is carbon black right? What did you put in the description when you ordered your set (carbon black paint code 416)?

Lastly, can you give a detailed description on the process you used?

Last edited by M3_POWER; 04-20-2009 at 11:27 AM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
SCOOTTER

My Ride: 330sexi/gsx-r-1K
Very impressive. Where can you get the Dr at? lol

SCOOTTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
meathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHNT2005 View Post
wow, great pictures! I've been waiting for someone to post up some before and afters. Your before pic is definitely what my hood looks like now and you don't even want to start with how my bumper looks lol... I LOL at it everytime I look at it. So how much did half the bottle cover on your hood? is it just that front portion or the whole hood? I'm pretty sure if you have road rash on your hood like that, your fenders must be affected as well.
There were a lot more chips near the front, but half the bottle did most of the hood. I was putting the paint on a cloth and smearing it over the chips, so I wasn't exactly being conservative. There's still a few low spots, so I'll be doing a bit more touch up today.

It actually looks much better in person than on camera. I think the flash must have gone off, because It brought out every flaw. In reality, the white spots on the after picture are just low points and not very visible.

The fenders were affected as well, and they also came out pretty good. I got a couple of pictures of them, but they weren't very good. Plus, one of them was centered on a reflected image of my crotch.

One piece of advice I can give is to have plenty of clean rags available. After applying the paint, you use a solvent to blend it in and remove the excess, but after a rag gets only a little fouled, it stops removing the material and starts putting it back. When that happens, switch to a clean section or a new rag and keep going.

When I started blending it was a bit scary at first. Most of my hood looked like the paint had been destroyed. I even saw smeary bits of white where I was almost convinced I was looking at primer. Just switch cloths, add more solvent, and keep rubbing. It may be because I used too much paint.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
meathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
WOW! After looking at those pics I'm ready to get this. Which kit did you get? Your car is carbon black right? What did you put in the description when you ordered your set (carbon black paint code 416)?
I got the road rash kit. paint code 416. It was a bit more expensive, but it has twice as much paint as the others, and it turns out I needed it.

Quote:
Lastly, can you give a detailed description on the process you used?
I washed the car with Dawn, then I used clay.

Just before filling in some chips, I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and cotton balls.

For the hood, I took a folded lint-free cloth and put some paint on it then ran it over the road rash, making sure the paint was smeared flat. Once I had done the hood, I put some solvent on the microfiber that came with the kit and started rubbing it in to remove the excess. This part took a lot of time, and I needed to switch cloths a few times, but once I was done with that, it looked much better.

The fenders and various scratches, I did with one of the little brushes that came with the kit. Put the paint on the chips, smear it with the glove. once the car was done, I went around again with a cloth and solvent.

Now, the instructions say I need to wait 3 days before waxing the car. I'm not too happy about that, but my next step was going to be polish anyway, so next weekend, I'll wash, clay, polish, then wax.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
meathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOOTTER View Post
Very impressive. Where can you get the Dr at? lol
http://drcolorchip.com
Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
SmoKeNfLY

My Ride: AW ///M3 & SLK350
I just received this coupon code from them a few days back. 10% off with = BMWCA
Old 04-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
illogik

My Ride: 325i, A3
Great stuff. I don't have any before and afters (just "afters") but it certainly works as advertised.

My suggestions, use the tiny pinhead brush that comes with the kit and take your time to dab up the individual spots of rash (I tried the smear technique but it didn't cover as well and wasted paint). And don't worry about leaving the paint on before using the blending solution - it took me about 45 minutes to fix the rash on my hood before I was able to start the solvent step.
illogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
DHNT2005

My Ride: is a money pit.
so do you think the 1oz is more than enough?
DHNT2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
Elusive

My Ride: '02 325i, '04 ZX-10R
WOW, great pics great results, im ordering right now!