Strange engine noises - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
4mustiuck

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330d
Unhappy Strange engine noises

Hi all,

Do you guys know what the problem might be?
There are actually two worrying sounds: a metalic rattle which gets worse by the end of the recording and some kind of vibration (starting at 00:24) which is not noticeable all the time (as you can hear in the video).
I turned off the engine once the metalic rattle got too loud...
Would it be safe to drive it to a car service? I don't have the possibility to try to fix it myself.

Regards_a_
4mustiuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
4mustiuck

come on guys, there has to be some of you facing the same issue at some point...
Old 07-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
The cricket noise is a bearing on an idler/tensioner pulley, nothing else matters.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
farukh

My Ride: BMW 325i 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
The cricket noise is a bearing on an idler/tensioner pulley, nothing else matters.
Yep ^

99% its the pulley. Look in there with flashlight and see if any of the pulleys is moving weirdly.
farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by farukh View Post
Yep ^

99% its the pulley. Look in there with flashlight and see if any of the pulleys is moving weirdly.
Even better, take the belt off and turn the pulleys. You may not see any strange movement, but you should be able to feel rotation that's not right, especially if you get a new pulley and compare how it feels to the old one.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
farukh

Quote:
Even better, take the belt off and turn the pulleys. You may not see any strange movement, but you should be able to feel rotation that's not right, especially if you get a new pulley and compare how it feels to the old one.
^that! OR, take the belt of and spin the the pulley hard... if it spins freely - it's time to change it! Good pulleys have some kind of mambo jumbo inside and don't spin freely.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
LeMansteve

My Ride: sold - '04 330i
You can clearly see the pulley is wobbling slightly in the video. Replace it.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
jdstrickland

Quote:
^that! OR, take the belt of and spin the the pulley hard... if it spins freely - it's time to change it! Good pulleys have some kind of mambo jumbo inside and don't spin freely.
Mambo jambo? I thought it was spider sperm.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
farukh

Quote:
Mambo jambo? I thought it was spider sperm.
Haha it probably is!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
4mustiuck

Thanks a lot for the replies!
Does it make sense that the sound gets even more severe after a while? You can notice this @00:45.

Is is possible to be the chain? Is it safe to drive it to a car service? I don't want to crack something and invest a bunch of money afterwards...

Cheers
Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
farukh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mustiuck View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies!
Does it make sense that the sound gets even more severe after a while? You can notice this @00:45.

Is is possible to be the chain? Is it safe to drive it to a car service? I don't want to crack something and invest a bunch of money afterwards...

Cheers
Well, the worst that can happen is: your pulley go out... belt tear into pieces... car suddenly shuts off... steering jams... brakes become hard...
Its a very easy DIY though.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
4mustiuck

Quote:
Well, the worst that can happen is: your pulley go out... belt tear into pieces... car suddenly shuts off... steering jams... brakes become hard...
Its a very easy DIY though.
Hmmm then I will consider to try doing it myself...
Any chance the noise might be caused by the timing chain? (I hope not!!)

Cheers
Old 07-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
farukh

Quote:
Hmmm then I will consider to try doing it myself...
Any chance the noise might be caused by the timing chain? (I hope not!!)

Cheers
It drove for like 3 weeks with that noise until the big break down happened... Since you are DIYing it, it is a good idea to change both belts there and all the pulleys. Some people recommend to change the water pump as well, but I did not change mine since it looked good to me.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
4mustiuck

Quote:
It drove for like 3 weeks with that noise until the big break down happened... Since you are DIYing it, it is a good idea to change both belts there and all the pulleys. Some people recommend to change the water pump as well, but I did not change mine since it looked good to me.
Yes, I also think it's a good idea to change as much as possible there. The water pump has been changed months ago therefore I would not change it for now.
Do you think the noise might be related to coolant being spread all over? I had a coolant leak issue just before getting this annoying sound...

Cheers
Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
farukh

Quote:
Yes, I also think it's a good idea to change as much as possible there. The water pump has been changed months ago therefore I would not change it for now.
Do you think the noise might be related to coolant being spread all over? I had a coolant leak issue just before getting this annoying sound...

Cheers
Sometimes the moisture can cause the belt to squeak. Did you have your leak taken care of?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #16
4mustiuck

Quote:
Sometimes the moisture can cause the belt to squeak. Did you have your leak taken care of?
Yes, of course.
First I had the coolant leak problem, after a while (few days) the noise came, then I fixed the leak. The noise was not so harsh in the beginning and after driving the car for few minutes it would go away. I drove the car few times, short distances, then suddenly the next day I start the engine and bang! I get this noise. Now, while the engine is running, the noise gets even worse contrarily to how it was before...

Cheers
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
farukh

Quote:
Yes, of course.
First I had the coolant leak problem, after a while (few days) the noise came, then I fixed the leak. The noise was not so harsh in the beginning and after driving the car for few minutes it would go away. I drove the car few times, short distances, then suddenly the next day I start the engine and bang! I get this noise. Now, while the engine is running, the noise gets even worse contrarily to how it was before...

Cheers
Yea, when my pulley went bad, the noise was intermittent at first, but then it got louder and pretty much constant.

Tags
330d, e46, engine noise