Engine oil disappears-not that easy - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
coupe_bmw

My Ride: BMW E46 330Ci
Engine oil disappears-not that easy

Hi,

I'll try to keep it short. I bought a 325Ci, then replaced the engine after half a year to a 30i, 130000 miles on the clock. Not immediately, but it started smoking heavily when I staerted the engine, then only little smoke. Later it was smoking whenever she wanted, eating even 1 liter of oil ( thats under the minimum on the dipstick). Then I replaced the carter gas filter. After that, there was no smoke and the oil level remained maximum. After about 200 miles almost 1 liter disappeared , and I say disappered, because I checked the oil level before almost every start. Then I replaced the oil filter housing gasket, a 100 miles later 0,5 liter disappeared. I can't see oil under tha car (there is no plastic plate under the engine). The carter gas filter replacement solved the smoking issue (at least I can't see it at starts, or in the mirror as before) please help I want to enjoy my car like before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04056.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	662473  

Last edited by coupe_bmw; 07-18-2017 at 02:09 PM.
coupe_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Have you checked the ccv? Maybe it's clogged up and spitting oil into the intake?
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, poly FCAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap, M56 valve cover

"No, thanks. I'm a vegetarian." Is a fun thing to say when someone hands you their baby.

Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
coupe_bmw

I think ccv is the carter gas filter, that I have replaced, that solved the smoking issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe_bmw View Post
I think ccv is the carter gas filter, that I have replaced, that solved the smoking issue
The CCV has nothing to do with a gas filter in any way and never heard of the CCV referred to as a carter gas filter. The CCV is tucked up with the engine. This is a link to a blog and videos for replacing the CCV:

https://blog.bavauto.com/8003/diy-vi...lation-system/

Last edited by CylonRed; 07-19-2017 at 09:36 AM.
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
coupe_bmw

Thanks, this is what I have replaced... Any other idea?
Old 07-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
Archbid

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Year: 03
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
If the rings are shot then you are just going to burn oil. As a stopgap, I have had success with switching to Rotella T6 oil and doing the O2Pilot mod. Cut my oil consumption significantly
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
coupe_bmw

Thanks, but what is a O2 pilot mod?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #8
bendoscopy

My Ride: 330Ci / 320Ci
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe_bmw View Post
Thanks, but what is a O2 pilot mod?
In short, connect a vacuum line from the nipple on the top of the CCV to a vacuum port on the back of the engine.

This will increase vacuum and (hopefully) stop oil from slipping past your piston rings.

I did this on my 2002 coupe a short while ago. Like you, I had white smoke on startup, at traffic lights, after idle, etc. The 02 mod helped me significantly. I no longer have plumes of smoke, and my oil consumption has really dropped.

lingon300k has a great how-to right here: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1115223

Last edited by bendoscopy; 07-19-2017 at 10:39 AM.
bendoscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
CylonRed

My Ride: '01 E46 330i sport
Other places for leaking is the oil pan gasket and the valve cover since you replaced the OFHG already. Without a bottom tray I would run the car and get it nice and warm/full temp and park the car overnight over a large piece of cardboard. Check the cardboard for oil drips the next morning.

Other than that - the rings is the other major source of oil use as already noted. Mine uses oil - .5 qt per 500 miles or so but yours seems to be more than that I think. I can only see oil in the exhaust when I hit the gads hard - basically wide open throttle. If you are using more than a qt per 1,000 miles - I would be concerned about the health of the used engine....
CylonRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.569 mu
Year: 99
Model: 328i
Transmission: 5-spd
When you replaced the CCV did you clean the dipstick holder really well? It can get clogged and blocks the ccv from working, even if you've replaced it. There's a superceded part number for it, but many just clean it really well.

...and of course, check your coolant for oil and vice versa in case the motor you put in had had a head gasket issue which has resurfaced. Hope not!

Brand new unlisted vid just for you.

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330i, engine, oil