Coding after engine Swap - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #1
sdrdavan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4
My Ride: E30 325, E91 320ED
Coding after engine Swap

Hi.

Short story long, i have a friend that bought manual 2000(pre Facelift) 325 with a blown engine in which we have now transplanted the engine from an 02(facelift) Auto 330i.

Before planning the swap i did some research and came to the conclusion that with the DME, EWS and key from the 330i it should be possible to remove the automatic part from the vehicle order and then just use that in the old car.

Engine is now in and starts with the old DME and EWS

However after trying to gain access to change the vehicle order via NCSExpert without luck on the 330 DME, i am no longer sure if that's the way to go. And am all so thinking if it would be easier to just flash the old DME with 330i tune.

What would you guys do? just flash the 3.0 tune or get the the new DME and EWS to work in the old car?

Thanks

Last edited by sdrdavan; 02-18-2019 at 07:54 AM.
sdrdavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
armenh7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: California
Posts: 8,209
My Ride: 2002 325i
You don't use ncs-expert. You use winkfp. See if your winkfp has zusbnumber 7551616 available
__________________
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:40 AM   #3
sdrdavan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4
My Ride: E30 325, E91 320ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
You don't use ncs-expert. You use winkfp. See if your winkfp has zusbnumber 7551616 available
Sorry im still quite new at this.

So if i see get this right you recommend flasing the existing DME with the 330 "tune" useing winkfp?

I watched your video guides, and got my SP-Daten updated to V60.1

But if i enter comfort mode - Identify ECU famiily and enter 7551616 i get:
Error 704:

Error on determining the ZB number
sdrdavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
armenh7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: California
Posts: 8,209
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrdavan View Post
Sorry im still quite new at this.

So if i see get this right you recommend flasing the existing DME with the 330 "tune" useing winkfp?

I watched your video guides, and got my SP-Daten updated to V60.1

But if i enter comfort mode - Identify ECU famiily and enter 7551616 i get:
Error 704:

Error on determining the ZB number
Yes for your first question.

What ecu are you selecting?
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:08 AM   #5
sdrdavan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4
My Ride: E30 325, E91 320ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Yes for your first question.

What ecu are you selecting?
So i had time to tinker with this yesterday evening, and found a matching Zusb via BMWfans where the hw number matched the ecu(MS43)

I was also able to read the current config number from the ecu in WINkfp, bit when trying to program the ecu i get a "ecu does not answer" message.

So at this point i am not sure if the problem is a bad K+DCAN cable(cheap of amazon) of if the ecu actually needs to be in boot mode(none of the guides i have seen suggest that it needs to)

Allso all the guides tell you to enter you VIN in WINkfp but i dont se the option to do so after selecting the Zusb file.
sdrdavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
armenh7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: California
Posts: 8,209
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrdavan View Post
So i had time to tinker with this yesterday evening, and found a matching Zusb via BMWfans where the hw number matched the ecu(MS43)

I was also able to read the current config number from the ecu in WINkfp, bit when trying to program the ecu i get a "ecu does not answer" message.

So at this point i am not sure if the problem is a bad K+DCAN cable(cheap of amazon) of if the ecu actually needs to be in boot mode(none of the guides i have seen suggest that it needs to)

Allso all the guides tell you to enter you VIN in WINkfp but i dont se the option to do so after selecting the Zusb file.
Pm me your phone number
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:31 AM   #7
E46Newbz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Pm me your phone number
Mind if I send you my number too? In a similar situation. Thanks.

Sent from my Phone using E46Fanatics mobile app
E46Newbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:32 AM   #8
armenh7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: California
Posts: 8,209
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Newbz View Post
Mind if I send you my number too? In a similar situation. Thanks.

Sent from my Phone using E46Fanatics mobile app
I don't mind but tomorrow is my only free day so make sure you guys have some time
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:49 AM   #9
sdrdavan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 4
My Ride: E30 325, E91 320ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
Pm me your phone number
Hi.

Thanks for the offer i will send you a PM, however i am in central Europe and 9 hours ahead of Cali time wise so i guess that needs to be considered, as well as a cost.
sdrdavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
Dude8383
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Babylon, NY
Posts: 269
My Ride: 91 332iS, 00 323iT/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrdavan View Post
Hi.

Thanks for the offer i will send you a PM, however i am in central Europe and 9 hours ahead of Cali time wise so i guess that needs to be considered, as well as a cost.
WhatsApp should be free IIRC. It's a data call...
Dude8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dme, engine, ews, m54, swap

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check engine light- PO344 joelaporte99 General E46 Forum 1 02-06-2019 03:13 PM
manual swap coding issue Ernie D General E46 Forum 4 01-27-2019 07:58 AM
325-330 Engine Swap -- How Much??? BimmerJustin General E46 Forum 19 04-23-2003 04:22 PM
Possible engine swap. bear328 General E46 Forum 13 04-07-2003 07:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.