E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Build/swap possibilities? Will s52 block bolt to m52tub25 head?

5K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  iamanonymous 
#1 ·
So I have a blown head gasket on my 1999 323i motor. Cylinder 6 took a crap on me and has 120 compression.

I want to do a very basic turbo build like I had on my 1998 e36 m3.

I want to ditch my stock aluminum block and bolt my head, intake, and exhaust manifolds to an s52 block (or m50, m52, or s50 us).

Is it possible? Any mods needed? I can build and tune, I want to keep all e46 sensors and functionality. I cannot fabricate. I can only cut, move, adapt, and assemble. I cannot weld and have no access to making custom brackets or anything.

#9 ·
In this scenario, the only m52tub25 parts will be all the sensors, and everything that is attached to the head. Basically I would be bolting an entire s52 block, clutch, flywheel, transmission, and at least part of the driveshaft.

My goal should be to run this all with the ms42 and not lose any AC or cooling system functionality.

I understand there may be substantial differences in the cooling passages which may be the final nail in the coffin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.