A/C Issues on 05 330Ci - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
opelikamike

My Ride: 2005 330Ci Vert
Year: 2005
Model: 330Ci Convertible
Transmission: Automatic
A/C Issues on 05 330Ci

I have a 05 330Ci vert with automatic transmission and about 64,000 miles.
Yesterday turned on a/c for first time this season (in Ocala, Florida). No cold air at all out of any vent. Ambient temp was about 80F. Had a/c system checked Sept. 2019.

Reading other posts I first tried to verify electric fan operation (as mine is automatic it has both mechanical and electric fan) by doing the following. I think i have read that A/C compressor clutch cannot engage unless e-fan is running. Is this correct?

1. Turned on engine to see if e-fan ran briefly at startup. Result - no fan rotation on startup.
2. Shut off engine and removed connector from switch on lower radiator hose temp connector as listees indicate that that would force e-fan operation.
3. Restarted car with that connector disconnected. Result - no fan operation.
4. Turned engine off and reinstalled connector.

Given this, is the next step to try to use INPA (I have it on a laptop but haven't used it much) to run E-fan test mode (as BMW North has outlined I believe) in order to see if e-fan itself is functional?

I just want to do things in the right order to make sure I don't make an incorrect diagnosis.

Thanks for any help.

Mike in Ocala
opelikamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
Is your outside air temp sensor working properly in the car? The AC needs that to work. That said, not familiar with automatics, but the fan needs to work for the AC to turn on in my manual with electric fan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
opelikamike

Yes. Outside air temp sensor (turn signal push button operated) was reading 79F so I assume that indicates proper function.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
opelikamike

UPDATE-it may be low freon. Turned on a/c today and e fan runs and somewhat (not real cold) cool air comes out of 2 leftmost dash vents but 2 rightmost passenger vents blowing ambient air. From last time I had it into shop this is symptomatic of low freon I think. The shop couldn't find a leak last time but they are going to look again since freon has likely leaked out and may leave a dye trail. I just hope it isn't an evaporator leak where I have to have the dash pulled out!
Old 02-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Is the air dry but warm? If so, it may be a bad heater control valve (it was for me).

Current:
•
•

Past BMWs:
•
•

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S • '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
L8Braker35

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelikamike View Post
UPDATE-it may be low freon. Turned on a/c today and e fan runs and somewhat (not real cold) cool air comes out of 2 leftmost dash vents but 2 rightmost passenger vents blowing ambient air. From last time I had it into shop this is symptomatic of low freon I think. The shop couldn't find a leak last time but they are going to look again since freon has likely leaked out and may leave a dye trail. I just hope it isn't an evaporator leak where I have to have the dash pulled out!

Check for an usual odor coming from the vents. Most dyes have an odor that can aid in detection since you can’t see inside the evaporator case. Just had mine checked, and the dash will be coming out soon.
L8Braker35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
mrearly2

My Ride: Ilse
Year: 2003
Model: 330i
Transmission: 5 manual gears
Yep, it should be low on refrigerant.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
opelikamike

Took it to shop again. They checked for leaks and could not find any. I have detected to odors coming from vents. They added freon and told me to drive it for 2 weeks and bring it back in for another check. I don't know if this indicates an evaporator leak. Guess we will see in 2 weeks. Freon has to be going somewhere,