Random Misfire - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
Crucial97

Random Misfire

Hello I have a 2004 325ci with an m54.
I recently developed a random misfire and a cylinder 1&3 misfire. No misfires on cylinder 2. The misfire codes were accompanied by a code for the exhaust camshaft position sensor so I ended up replacing both of the sensors hoping it would cure the problem. The code for the sensor went away and the check engine light stayed off for about a minute until the codes showed for cylinder 1&2 misfire only. I have already swapped coils, then plugs, and it didn't change cylinders. I then cleaned the injector electrical connections. So far there has been no change. I was thinking my next step should be to swap injectors and see if it follows the cylinders. Any help or insight anyone else can give would be great.
Crucial97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
Nick DeZan

My Ride: 2000 323ci, manual
Model: 2004 330ci,2013 535i
first step is to run a compression test and report back. If you have INPA set up on a laptop use that on the rough running test to check all the cylinders.
Nick DeZan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:28 AM   #3
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Post all the current trouble codes in Pxxxx format with their text descriptions.
What are the warm idle long term fuel trims on both banks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #4
Crucial97

I currently do not have access to any tools to give me fuel trim data. I also haven't gotten a chance to rent a compression tester to test the compression. What I have done though is listen to the injectors on cylinder 1 and 3. When the car is not misfiring the injectors were making a nice loud tick as the other ones were and then 30 seconds Into the car running the injectors them for substantially quieter than the rest. The thought process I'm hoping for is that the solenoids are starting to fail when warm. I'm replacing the 2 injectors this week to see what happens, if it doesn't fix then I will compression test the engine. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Get OBD Fusion for your phone and the proper dongle and you will be able to read all the data plus log it and be able to share it. Cost me about $15 for my android phone.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 325xi auto Stahlgrau

1998 328is 5sp
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
Just out of curiosity, have you checked vacuum hoses? A minor crack can introduce unmetered air and grow into lean codes which opens another can of worms.

tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #7
Crucial97

What adapter do I need for obd fusion? I have am elm 327 cable also I have checked visually for any cracks but have not had the system smoke tested. The only vaccum leak I found was on the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel filter and I replaced that line with a new silicone line.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Most of us buy an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter.

They work better than WiFi adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:03 AM   #9
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
The injectors go quiet because the engine computer (DME) is shutting them off.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:56 AM   #10
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you checked vacuum hoses? A minor crack can introduce unmetered air and grow into lean codes which opens another can of worms.
+1 on this. I would take a look and make sure your intake boots aren't cracked. I would also consider a smoke test..
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote