Salon: Are pedophiles too sick for punishment? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Salon: Are pedophiles too sick for punishment?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...unishment.html
Is Pedophilia a Crime or an Illness?
We’ve never quite known whether child molesters should be treated as sick people or punished as criminals.

So they're still knocking on this door huh? (couldn't find my original thread)

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it were mental illness just like I wouldn't be surprised if a dude thought he was a girl is mental illness.
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
Silver_Surfer

My Ride: 2006 Lotus Exige
They are mentally ill for feeling those thoughts, they are criminals for acting on them. Not sure what the issue is?
Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
fm.illuminatus

My Ride: 2002 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
They are mentally ill for feeling those thoughts, they are criminals for acting on them. Not sure what the issue is?
Sounds like an accurate assessment to me.
fm.illuminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
It's an illness that is also a crime because it hurts other people. Should it be treated as a crime (prison) or an illness (mental hospital)? I don't know enough about the human psychology to answer that question and neither do you OP.

Last edited by Stankia; 04-20-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #5
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Good thing these things never gain traction incrementally

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...for-males.html
'Paedophilia is natural and normal for males'
How some university academics make the case for paedophiles at summer conferences
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Old 05-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Good thing these things never gain traction incrementally

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...for-males.html
'Paedophilia is natural and normal for males'
How some university academics make the case for paedophiles at summer conferences

Quote:
It’s fair to say the Tromovitch view does not represent majority academic opinion. It’s likely, too, that some of the academic protests against the “stigmatisation” of paedophiles are as much a backlash against the harshness of sex offender laws as anything else. Finally, of course, academic inquiry is supposed to question conventional wisdom and to deal rigorously with the evidence, whether or not the conclusions it leads you to are popular.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #7
Act of God

Of course it's not mainstream, these things take time. That's the point I have been making,
Old 05-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
Act of God

Of course it’s not mainstream, these things take time. That’s the point I have been making,
Old 05-01-2019, 11:38 PM   #9
Xcelratr

If I read the article correctly, it's become less mainstream than it was in the 70s and 80s.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:57 AM   #10
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
If I read the article correctly, it's become less mainstream than it was in the 70s and 80s.
I think we'll see a concerted push towards some sort of public perception push towards classifying it as a sexual preference without decriminalization. We will then be forced to view them as victims of nature and they'll be some sort of protected class.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #11
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
I think we'll see a concerted push towards some sort of public perception push towards classifying it as a sexual preference without decriminalization. We will then be forced to view them as victims of nature and they'll be some sort of protected class.
And they will all get jobs at Clinton's pizza place .

You are bordering on the edge if sanity with some of this stuff you post, does your fear of liberals keep you up at night?
Old 05-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #12
Xcelratr

Quote:
If psychologists can do a better job with them than prison guards, I'm willing to listen to options.

I don't see our society ever elevating an adult pedophile's desire for sex above a child's inability to consent to sex. Since protecting the victims/potential victims will always be a higher priority, if we can do a better job increasing a pedophiles ability to function in society without harming others, we should consider what it takes. If it consumes too many resources, or is too risky, or requires too many concessions on the part of everyone else, then maybe we'd still say "fckit, you're going to prison, good luck in there".
Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
AoG had a whole thread about this, and I'm with him in so much as that I can't seem to locate it anywhere (VaderDave?).

Why he decided to start a new thread is beyond me. He was shown to be overreacting at every single instance

Since the 70's (and probably before) there have been fringe sources trying to justify pedo's, but its just that. A fringe push that gets near-unanimous condemnation.

We have not seen any sort of incremental push towards acceptance of pedo's. SOme of them are probably crazy or disturbed (Michael Jackson?), others are just sickos, but that doesn't mean we are accepting as a society of their actions.

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

ss
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
AoG had a whole thread about this, and I'm with him in so much as that I can't seem to locate it anywhere (VaderDave?).

Why he decided to start a new thread is beyond me. He was shown to be overreacting at every single instance

Since the 70's (and probably before) there have been fringe sources trying to justify pedo's, but its just that. A fringe push that gets near-unanimous condemnation.

We have not seen any sort of incremental push towards acceptance of pedo's. SOme of them are probably crazy or disturbed (Michael Jackson?), others are just sickos, but that doesn't mean we are accepting as a society of their actions.
Thus thread has solidified him as the queen of meltdowns around here, how many threads has he started or does he keep afloat with his outrage over things?

This one
The school insanity thread
Media collusion/fake news thread
Voter fraud thread
I know there are others
Old 05-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
Xcelratr

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1087147
Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Thus thread has solidified him as the queen of meltdowns around here, how many threads has he started or does he keep afloat with his outrage over things?

This one
Voter fraud thread
I know there are others
How else would he get the attention he craves so much?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #17
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:

This one
Voter fraud thread
I know there are others
This is exactly what makes him a well suited to be an effective ambulance-chaser attorney. Exaggerates with such conviction, even though everyone knows the BS is eyeball deep.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:31 AM   #18
Act of God

Quote:

This one
Voter fraud thread
I know there are others
Why would you not keep topics together, what are you a sociopath??