Auxiliary Input Retrofit Kit - Help! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
AumkarChandan

My Ride: F30 328i, E46 328i
Auxiliary Input Retrofit Kit - Help!

Hi,

My first post here, I'm from India and recently bought an E46, mine started life as a N42 but now it's successfully swapped with an M54 with a 5-Speed MT.

I had some questions regarding the Aux kit available on ECS, my car is from late 2001 and has the "Business" head unit, will this Aux kit work?
Here's my VIN - FX48870

ECS tuning's support was no help since they didn't even bother and just replied "I am sorry we can not confirm fit on the car. It's an RHD car. WE only support the LHD US spec cars"

Any help will be appreciated!
AumkarChandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
I'm impressed by the engine/tranny swap!!

Your head unit doesn't have an auxiliary port at the back. BMW started installing head units with an auxiliary port in the 2003 model year. The simplest and easiest way to add an auxiliary input is to use the CD changer cables in the trunk. However, as your car was built for your market the car may not have been wired for the CD changer. Remove the left grey trunk liner to check for the cables. Both have a female connector. One connector has 3 wires while the other has 6 (?) wires.

Also, pull the head unit, take a picture of the entire label and post it. That'll give us more info.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
AumkarChandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
I'm impressed by the engine/tranny swap!!

Your head unit doesn't have an auxiliary port at the back. BMW started installing head units with an auxiliary port in the 2003 model year. The simplest and easiest way to add an auxiliary input is to use the CD changer cables in the trunk. However, as your car was built for your market the car may not have been wired for the CD changer. Remove the left grey trunk liner to check for the cables. Both have a female connector. One connector has 3 wires while the other has 6 (?) wires.

Also, pull the head unit, take a picture of the entire label and post it. That'll give us more info.
Hi,

Thanks a lot!
I'll do that this weekend and update.

Yes, I'll open another thread on the swap soon. E46s are actually quite rare in my country, mine is probably the only M54 (Manual) in the Country but luckily I was able to find a donor 328i who's owned had imported an S54 for his car so his M54 went in mine!
His mechanics actually worked on my car and made it possible. I'll open a new thread and post as much information as possible so that people who want to do it have the info.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
rcbaker

My Ride: 325ci
I was struggling with this too. Eventually I upgraded my head unit to a 2004 unit from my earlier 2001 unit of the Business CD head units that came with the car. One thing I noticed about my 2001 head unit is that the car came with the Harmon Kardon upgraded sterio system when I orginally bought the car in 2001. There is an additional cable off the back of the 2001 Business CD that had different connector for a single wire. I don't know what that was.

The newer 2004 unit did not have that cable.

That cable is either a ground or the subwoofer out cable.

I am not sure. Upgrading the head unit to the 2004 achieved one of my goals - allowed me to connect my Iphone, but I don't think the quality of the sterio sound is the same. There is a small different. It could be that that cable was to the sub woofer. I don't know.

There is some noise in the line if I try an charge the Iphone and play music at the same time.
rcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:46 AM   #5
AumkarChandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaker View Post
I was struggling with this too. Eventually I upgraded my head unit to a 2004 unit from my earlier 2001 unit of the Business CD head units that came with the car. One thing I noticed about my 2001 head unit is that the car came with the Harmon Kardon upgraded sterio system when I orginally bought the car in 2001. There is an additional cable off the back of the 2001 Business CD that had different connector for a single wire. I don't know what that was.

The newer 2004 unit did not have that cable.

That cable is either a ground or the subwoofer out cable.

I am not sure. Upgrading the head unit to the 2004 achieved one of my goals - allowed me to connect my Iphone, but I don't think the quality of the sterio sound is the same. There is a small different. It could be that that cable was to the sub woofer. I don't know.

There is some noise in the line if I try an charge the Iphone and play music at the same time.
Hey, yes. I also have the Harman Kardon system. I'm personally going to wait a couple of months until my interior's restoration is complete and just go for an Eonon unit, they seem quite fantastic and the price is acceptable for all the features.

Last edited by AumkarChandan; 08-28-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:22 AM   #6
EononCarDVD

My Ride: BMW E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AumkarChandan View Post
Hey, yes. I also have the Harman Kardon system. I'm personally going to wait a couple of months until my interior's restoration is complete and just go for an Eonon unit, they seem quite fantastic and the price is acceptable for all the features.
Hi AumkarChandan, thanks for your kind review. Wish you enjoy our unit and welcome to share with us some nice installation pics & reviews.
EononCarDVD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, aux, business cd player