No crank/no start - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #1
bmw325cicwa

My Ride: '01 325ci
No crank/no start

The LAST thing I want to do is make my first post with the above subject.

I only have one key because the other key is in the house in un-located somewhere. Maybe Boston Terrier hid it? I don't know.

2001 BMW 325CIC (Convertible)

My wife backed the car out of the garage and neglected to allow sufficient room for the driver side mirror to clear the garage door opening. The mirror was laying flat alongside the drivers door. Nuts!

Purchased repair parts for mirror and turned key to on position so I could listen to tunes while making repair. Went into house for dinner, came out 3 hours later and battery was nearly dead. Wouldn't turn engine over but solenoid engaged. One time only. Crap! Now no crank/no start. Double Crap!

All fuses in glove box good (12+V each side of fuse to ground) except front driving lamp fuse. Meh.... Who cares?

Battery voltage 12.6V
Battery terminals cleaned and cleared for current carrying capacity. I mean they are CLEAN! Voltage does not drop with key in start position.... Duh! No current draw from starter. (Remember No Crank).

Error listing from fancy OBD2 code reader:

Fault Codes:
0F Voltage Supply EWS 3 Control module
30 Key 4 Not Identified
41 Key 5 Not Identified
42 EWS: Key no. 5, Incorrect Random Code (Likely last key used)

Looks like primary issue to me is no power to EWS unit. No power to EWS unit = No ability to read coil in key. Am I right here?

All fuses located in relay box under hood are intact (key on 12+V from each side of fuse to ground.

No Bentley's.
Search of forum has not returned relay legend. Nuts

Which relay contains EWS circuitry? What color are Voltage supply wires to EWS?

Got to get this POS (which I love) running. F350 6.0l diesel pickup (my othr driver) taking up bay in my garage with heads at machine shop being rebuilt including o-rings for durability. $4700 worth of parts (+ $1200 machine shop bill) purchased to keep pickup from having problems going forward. I am reduced to driving turbocharged beetle until convertible is fixed

Any suggestions?

Encouraging words?

Thanks in advance,

Loren

Last edited by bmw325cicwa; 04-24-2016 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added model year
bmw325cicwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Check your voltage at the +B terminal in the right rear of the engine compartment.

Have you cleared the error codes? They could be old errors when your battery was dead.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 04-24-2016 at 07:19 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
bmw325cicwa

When I ran the diagnostic tests before I originated this thread there were a number of failures. RAD Radio, ABS, Rollover sensor, convertible top controller, etc. There were a LOT of errors. I only reported the one I thought might be germane to the issue i.e. the ECS error.

Per your suggestions I did the following:

Checked voltage across battery. V=12.41
Checked across nut for jumping car located near the strut tower on the passenger side and a nut on the strut tower. V=12.41 sounds good. No V drop between trunk and engine compartment.

The voltage was likely lower than reported earlier because I was away from the car for several hours and the battery had time to normalize after the extended charge session.

Cleared codes. (There were MANY!!!)
Checked error codes: "No Codes Set" so started with a clean slate

Ran diagnostic tester on auto.

Only one code set.

EC 42 EWS: Key no. 5, Incorrect random code

Yahoo! (I think)

Since this is the only key I have do I have to get the car to my highly esteemed dealer so they can program the random code to match the EWS?

Can I reset the random code someway without having to flat bed the car to the dealer?

Maybe an independent shop?

Or, maybe a key maker guy will come to the car in his truck and match the current key random code to the EWS saving me the transport cost?

Thank you so much for your help. You were spot on with your suggestions. If you ever need the services of a registered nurse, just let me know! I'm here for ya!!!

Loren
Old 04-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #4
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
I think the only thing you can do now is order a new key.
Valet key for $50 or remote key for $152, via TheBMWPartstore.com. takes 2-3 days.

Dealer I believe cannot do anything to align the key.

Independent cannot either.

I had a key that was intermittent and then completely failed. Luckily, I had my other Key in the car. It saved me having to get a ride back to the house.

Try inserting your key into the ignition and place it in position 2 and allow it to sit there for a minute or 2 so it can read it, then try starting it.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
bmw325cicwa

issue resolved

New key resolved issue.

Thanks again for your excellent advice.

Loren
Old 05-03-2016, 04:22 AM   #6
BMWCaptain

Your welcome.

Glad to help.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:15 AM   #7
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Now go buy a second key so this doesn't happen again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote