Coolant Level Float - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
turbobrick

My Ride: 2003 325i Wagon
Coolant Level Float

2003 325i Wagon - I just changed the radiator and used an old expansion tank that I still had from a previous repair. I know the expansion tank is not leaking. I filled in coolant and bled the coolant system properly but the Coolant Level Float Indicator seems not to work correctly.
If the Coolant Level Float is in the proper position by just adding coolant to the expansion tank (end of float stick lines up with filler tube) I can see the coolant level which is about 4 inch below the expansion tank inlet. In my opinion there is too much coolant in the expansion tank (nearly or no air pocket). Also if I push down the indictor it stays down, if I pull it up, it sticks out of the expansion tank. So my guess it that the float is not working properly.
Can someone measure the distance from the top of the expansion tank inlet to the coolant level? As I said, mine is 4 inches from the top.
I don't want to over-pressurize the system.
Any ideas how I can fix it?

thanks in advance!
turbobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
"if I push down the indictor it stays down, if I pull it up, it sticks out of the expansion tank. So my guess it that the float is not working properly."
Seems like the float is loose with the stick. What's about the dash level indicator?

This is just superficial and has no effect on engine and you can drive with it temporarily. Coolant should be below the bottom horizontal stationary piece which keeps the floater below it.
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Bpat1218

My Ride: 325i Touring 5spd
Year: 2002
Model: 325i
Transmission: Getrag 250g
I'd say just use a light when you fill and if you overfill slightly, itll come out the cap release. not a big deal
Bpat1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
turbobrick

is that the right level

I have no coolant warning light on the dash

would that be about the correct coolant level as indicated in the pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoolantLevel.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	692033  
Old 10-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
turbobrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpat1218 View Post
I'd say just use a light when you fill and if you overfill slightly, itll come out the cap release. not a big deal
just to clarify - so there is a pressure release "valve" in the expansion tank cap, correct?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
chconger

My Ride: 2004 320i
Yes...the level in your image is correct.

My rule of thumb; the stick should pop up ,and you should not be able to see why :-)
chconger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
Bpat1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick View Post
just to clarify - so there is a pressure release "valve" in the expansion tank cap, correct?
Yep. You typically have to overall for a bleed procedure so it will just let the extra coolant/pressure out . Don't sweat it. But yeah , as was stated, you shouldn't be able to see the coolant when it is full to the proper amount. I think the line you drew looks correct or at least close enough

Sent from my XT1585 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 10-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Bpat1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpat1218 View Post
Yep. You typically have to overall for a bleed procedure so it will just let the extra coolant/pressure out . Don't sweat it. But yeah , as was stated, you shouldn't be able to see the coolant when it is full to the proper amount. I think the line you drew looks correct or at least close enough

Overfill not overall. Sorry on mobile can't edit

Old 10-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
MJC12

My Ride: 2001 330i
Transmission: 5 Speed
This happened to me recently. Coolant float would stick at the bottom and if I lifted it, it stayed stuck at the top. This was regardless of my coolant level. After inspecting my ET I found it was bulged and deformed, but still functioning without leaks. I had it replaced under warranty.

My mechanic said this happens and the ET should still function fine you just won't be able to use the float. But because my was warrantied we replaced it anyway.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
I would NEVER use an old ET. It is the weak link in the pressurized system and a sudden failure can be catastrophic. There are places to find OEM or BMW tanks at less than $100 delivered.
Because the forum has sponsors and they may or may not be on my list of sources, I dont like to post names but if you DM me, I may have a good source at a cheap price with free shipping.

Sent from my iPad using E46Fanatics
Old 10-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
Sapote

My Ride: 2000 323i auto wagon
"I have no coolant warning light on the dash

would that be about the correct coolant level as indicated in the pic?"

Correct.

For those who said overfill is OK since the cap will release. Cap was designed to release gas and if thank is overfilled with coolant bad thing can happen: exploded ET
Sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
turbobrick

thanks for the offer - and you're right about using old parts. When I bought the car, the previous owner had just replaced the ET (couple month old - saw the receipt) but it still had a small leak. Not knowing BMWs at the time, I bought a new ET (but kept the "old" one). Turned out to be the radiator. Bought a crappy one - learned my lesson there.
That's the only reason I used the "old" ET.

Thanks everybody for all your input - I guess for now I just peek into the Expansion Tank with a light and order a new on for next time I have the car on my ramps.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Get a Modine ET from FCP euro, Genuine BMW with the labels and roundels removed. Best bang for the buck.

Bad outer xi ball joint?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jmo69; 10-20-2017 at 09:34 PM.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:54 AM   #14
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
Get a Modine ET from FCP euro, Genuine BMW with the labels and roundels removed. Best bang for the buck.

+1 On the Modine. I got one and compared it side by side with the BMW and they are identical except for the labeling.

Sent from the right bank of the Arno, because Im no leftie.