Issue with CD Changer - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
Srede

Issue with CD Changer

Hi all,

I'm writing here because I've buy an E46 330ci from 2001 (phase 1) equiped with Harmann Kardon, BMW Professional radio and a 6 CD Changer. But unfortunately, I have an issue with the CD Changer.

When I buy the car, the CD magazine was not there (the vendor said it was broken).
So I buyed one (Reference 8 364 931) but when I put it into the CD Changer, nothin happen and the eject button doesn't work, there is just a mechanic noise but nothing happen. I was able to remove the magazine with a thin ruler.
So 1st question, is this magazine compatible with E46 CD Changer ?

And when I insert the magazine, the CD changer does nothing... And I see the following info on the radio when I choss CD : CD 0-00

So here others questions :
- Is my CD Changer totally dead ?
- If I replace the BMW Professional radio by a BMW CD Business, will the Harmann Kardon sono still works ?

Thank you in advance,

Bye
Srede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
The cd magazineís part number is 65128364931. However, Iím betting the changer could be bad. They werenít the most reliable changers.

The differences between non-HK and HK audio systems are the amp and the speakers. You can install any factory head unit thatís designed for an E46 and the HK system will perform the same.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
nealfromnz

My Ride: 2002 e46
The CD changers have an issue over time where the grease on the loading mechanisms goes dry or the worm gear wears a bit and needs adjustment. The unit is made by alpine so many of the cartridges should work.

The BMW versions did change over time with the later CD stackers supporting mp3 and CD txt. All units have both analogue audio out and a digital out of the car I has an HK amp.

If your up for some dyi you can try and repair your CD yourself. It requires disassembly of the stacker unit.

To gain access requires removing the left side boot carpet to gain access to the infotainment rack.

The stacker will come via 4 m5 bolts. Take the stacker out carefully and undo the connectors that go into the back.

Use this guide to re-lube unit.

If you're keen to have a go pop a reply and I'll also find a picture of the worm gear adjustment while it's open.

I've fixed about 4 stackers doing the above .i did swap mine out however for one of PeteAU raspberry pi based solutions
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement