ABS yellow light and brakes red light on, 2002 325i - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #21
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlemmon View Post
you don't seem to understand , reading codes is only gonna go so far

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #22
raykelly

My Ride: 2004 330i Touring
I hate BMW Sensors. Just changed oil level, the rear PDC sensors are bleeping now - but will wait for hard failure.
INPA will tell us if it's brake pressure sensor. I had the lights come on for a few days. Reseated and banged it few times - lights gone for now. Every E46 owner will see these lights in their ownership, and hope it's not a genuine ABS issue.
raykelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #23
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
Go buy a used Windows XP laptop from ebay and set it up with BMW Standard Tools and BMW Scanner 1.4. You NEED those tools to DIY an E46.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #24
wasp9166

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Go buy a used Windows XP laptop from ebay and set it up with BMW Standard Tools and BMW Scanner 1.4. You NEED those tools to DIY an E46.
my thoughts yest, just didn't feel like typing it

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 07-12-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #25
toddlemmon

My Ride: Two BMW's
Year: 2002
Model: Both 325i's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
my thoughts yest, just didn't feel like typing it
OK, understood. Can you direct me to a post with instructions on how to set this all up? I have zero familiarity with Windows machines. Do I need a special cable? Is there a site to download the most up-to-date software version of BMW Standard Tools and BMW Scanner 1.4? (I'm assuming those are software packages.) Any advice much appreciated. Thanks very much for your help. Todd
Old 07-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #26
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Quote:
OK, understood. Can you direct me to a post with instructions on how to set this all up? I have zero familiarity with Windows machines. Do I need a special cable? Is there a site to download the most up-to-date software version of BMW Standard Tools and BMW Scanner 1.4? (I'm assuming those are software packages.) Any advice much appreciated. Thanks very much for your help. Todd
Todd, I'll PM you with some info and help you set it up.

Edit: PM sent.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 07-12-2019 at 01:35 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #27
toddlemmon

Quote:
Todd, Iíll PM you with some info and help you set it up.

Thanks. I see plenty of eBay XP laptops under $75. Crazy. Any specs that matter when I buy?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 07-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #28
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Quote:
Thanks. I see plenty of eBay XP laptops under $75. Crazy. Any specs that matter when I buy?
Todd, letís switch to email to pull this offline. I PMíd you my contact info.

Basically, get a name brand Windows XP or Windows 7 laptop, with USB ports, with as much RAM and largest HD you can get for the money. The software needs less than 1Gb of free HD space.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #29
wasp9166

Quote:
seems bali has you on your way, but there are threads right on the first page , search inpa, ista , 1.4

it's all here , i was able to learn and od just reading the threads

yes, you need one cable for 1.4 and a diff one for inpa , a switched cable pref

Quote:

Last edited by wasp9166; 07-13-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #30
Joec03

My Ride: 2000 323ci
You don't need an XP laptop. Just buy this cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (throw out the disc that comes with it). Leave the switch all the way to the left. Download this, https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=879366 It's one click installation. You just need to config the port settings at the end, which it will tell you how to do. You'll have INPA running in no time. Worked excellent on my Windows 10 laptop.

Also if you don't feel like going the laptop route with INPA. A more user friendly option is to buy a Creator C310. Located here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The laptop/usb cable route is more powerful, but both will get the job done.

Last edited by Joec03; 07-13-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Joec03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #31
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joec03 View Post
You don't need an XP laptop. Just buy this cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (throw out the disc that comes with it). Leave the switch all the way to the left. Download this, https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=879366 It's one click installation. You just need to config the port settings at the end, which it will tell you how to do. You'll have INPA running in no time. Worked excellent on my Windows 10 laptop.

Also if you don't feel like going the laptop route with INPA. A more user friendly option is to buy a Creator C310. Located here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 The laptop/usb cable route is more powerful, but both will get the job done.
OP has no Windows machine at all, Windows 10 or otherwise. So he needs to buy one to run BMW Standard Tools (INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32, etc.) or BMW Scanner 1.4. A used Windows XP laptop is like $50 on ebay, way cheaper than one that can run Windows 10.

The Creator C310 is a useful tool, but highly limited in its BMW-specific capabilities. OP needs a tool that will dive deep into the ABS and possibly DME, hence the Windows XP laptop recommendation.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #32
Joec03

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
OP has no Windows machine at all, Windows 10 or otherwise. So he needs to buy one to run BMW Standard Tools (INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32, etc.) or BMW Scanner 1.4. A used Windows XP laptop is like $50 on ebay, way cheaper than one that can run Windows 10.

The Creator C310 is a useful tool, but highly limited in its BMW-specific capabilities. OP needs a tool that will dive deep into the ABS and possibly DME, hence the Windows XP laptop recommendation.
Ah, didn't realize that he had no laptop at all. Regarding the C310, it can read ABS codes and give live data of the sensors. I used INPA and my C310 to diagnose a similar issue I had. Both properly told me what sensors were bad (wheel speed and brake pressure sensors). I didn't gain any additional information from INPA. If he doesn't feel confident in setting up the software, the C310 will likely be enough to aid him.
Joec03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:58 PM   #33
Jumcali1980

In my e46, it was a faulty brake level sensor in the cap. It has a magnet float and when it is at the proper level the magnet brings the two prongs together. Well, when the magnet isn't strong enough to bring them together and/or the prongs don't come together it throws both lights on the dash. Hope this helps and if not that, you have a bad speed sensor. Check the cap though because I changed every dam$ speed sensor before finding what the problem was. Hope this helps with those annoying lights you have.
Jumcali1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #34
CrashAndBurn

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I had this problem and got a BMW specific code reader and reset the error code and all has been good since. Some sort of momentary glitch. Otherwise it was looking like a costly hassle to deal with. I had been using an Elm OBD2 scanner and torque for years and getting by but I would recommend biting the bullet and getting one that can read everything and some can even change programming. Hope you get as lucky.
CrashAndBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #35
toddlemmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumcali1980 View Post
In my e46, it was a faulty brake level sensor in the cap. It has a magnet float and when it is at the proper level the magnet brings the two prongs together. Well, when the magnet isn't strong enough to bring them together and/or the prongs don't come together it throws both lights on the dash. Hope this helps and if not that, you have a bad speed sensor. Check the cap though because I changed every dam$ speed sensor before finding what the problem was. Hope this helps with those annoying lights you have.
This is in the brake fluid reservoir? Thanks
Old 07-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #36
toddlemmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joec03 View Post
Ah, didn't realize that he had no laptop at all. Regarding the C310, it can read ABS codes and give live data of the sensors. I used INPA and my C310 to diagnose a similar issue I had. Both properly told me what sensors were bad (wheel speed and brake pressure sensors). I didn't gain any additional information from INPA. If he doesn't feel confident in setting up the software, the C310 will likely be enough to aid him.
First dongle has arrived! Complete with a tiny CD I have no idea how to access. I think I have a super drive somewhere I can attach. I'm hoping I can get whatever data is on it via the Internet. Hoping to get laptop and other dongle this week.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #37
Jumcali1980

Yes, I don't think they're all the same though. The lid has float that is around a cylinder looking thing. The reason I don't think they're all the same is because I can't find another cap to put on it. I had to take it apart and solder the two prongs together as though the fluid is always full. I guess I have to keep watch on the fluid manually, but my lights are gone. Luckily I knew a guy that threw his high dollar code reader on it to pinpoint what exactly it was causing my lights.

Btw, I'm new to this forum and don't see how to respond to a specific person's response.
Jumcali1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #38
wasp9166

Quote:
First dongle has arrived! Complete with a tiny CD I have no idea how to access. I think I have a super drive somewhere I can attach. I'm hoping I can get whatever data is on it via the Internet. Hoping to get laptop and other dongle this week.
Don't use the CD ,there is a link to the dongle that will send you to the correct dl for pa soft ,someone will post it as I don't have it

It's an asian site ,360 something if I remember

Quote:

Last edited by wasp9166; 07-17-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #39
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
Don't use the CD ,there is a link to the dongle that will send you to the correct dl for pa soft ,someone will post it as I don't have it

It's an asian site ,360 something if I remember
xcar360.com
https://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-...de-reader.html
Old 07-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #40
wasp9166

yep

Quote:

Tags
2002 325i, abs light, brake light