Air mass meter. Clean? Replace? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
foxbass

My Ride: e46 1.8i touring
Air mass meter. Clean? Replace?

Hi all.
Firstly, my new ride is the 318i touring 04, face lift with 67 thou. This has the later engine with coils on each plug.

My mechanic has read the cpu and identified a fault with the AMM. The symptom is low idle speed when cold and a flat spot under acceleration with a surge around 3000rpm. It is subtle but results in reduced economy.

He suggested I try cleaning it first with carb cleaner before considering a new meter. (It had stood for a while at the dealer)

Then to throw it open to this forum to ask which is the best aftermarket AMM.

OEM units are expensive so while I go out to the garage with a can o spray, any suggestions?
foxbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Transmission: Auto
Get the correct part number from realoem.com. Use a Siemens/VDO, they make them for BMW, but your's won't have the logo.
I haven't seen cleaning it work yet, but you may be the first. You can install it yourself in 30 minutes. Check YouTube. Easy Peezy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
ewcmr2

My Ride: Many
Use a product made for airflow meters, not carb cleaner.
I've had success with this, if it's doesnt help you're not out much $$.
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05110-Mas...SIN=B000J19XSA
ewcmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 03:34 AM   #4
foxbass

Thanks guys!
I got out my tool kit and took out the air box (a weird design on UK models. You have to turn it upside down to unscrew the lid) to find the MAF actually holds the air filter in place. Took the MAF off the duct that links to the throttle body and found the problem. Some goon had not paid attention to the seating of the large flat rubber band which had subsequently folded over and got torn slightly. As it was just about salvageable, I re-positioned it, applied some lube and pushed it back together right. It had been sucking air down-wind of the MAF so the engine was running lean, hence the flat spot and inability to balance throttle and clutch nicely. (after 750,000 miles, reckon I should've got that down!) It was just one of several things that had not been assembled right by some service monkey!
Mech bloke was right though. He said the throttle body would be pretty dirty and to give it a dousing in cleaner, wipe it out (by pushing open the butterfly) then soak it again and take it for a blast up the road.
Result?
The car behaves perfectly. Joy!
Total cost = one can of cleaner and a few beers for the mech.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:37 AM   #5
foxbass

Oh yeah. Story's not quite done yet. He cleared the fault code and said to bring it back after a few days to check the MAF again. Er... 3 beers!
Old 08-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Model: 325i
Time to spend >$30 and get yourself a OBD II Bluetooth connector and OBD Fusion so you can get or clear the coded yourself.
Congrats on the fix!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited by DEADF15H; 08-02-2019 at 08:05 AM.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Filmy

My Ride: 02 325iT
Year: 2002
Model: 325i Touring
Glad the mechanic's fix worked for you, but a word of caution: it is highly recommended that you do not open the butterfly of the throttle body manually. I forget why now, but I've read that in more than a few write-ups. Maybe it's a different thing with a 318i TB than with M54 engines, but probably the same reason(s) why to not do it. Do with this information what you like - I'm just putting it out there.